afterhours

What Would You Do?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm down at Soco with the wife on the water having clam cakes and chowda. A bunch of schoolies smashing bait out front within easy casting distance. A few guys catching and releasing some having a good time. There's this one guy maybe casting 30-40' not coming close. Reel upside down using one hand on the rod and the other holding the line 2' away from the rod did not look as if he was having a good time at all. I was very tempted to walk down to and try to give him a few pointers, wife said don't as you may embarrass him. I think I should have- what would you guys have done?

29 mins ago, Killiefish said:

I would have asked him if he wanted some help getting better distance.  Guy knows he ain't getting close.  If he says no thanks, say o.k. and walk away.

I agree with Killiefish - always best to ask if someone wants a hand.  If it's about them, then let them have control of the interaction.

I remember being that guy and getting a hand.... Quite a few years back I walked over the sand dune at a southern Maine beach to find surf fisherman lined up along the beach cast to a school of chopper blues (10 to 15lbers). I rush down and find a spot in line and start trying to cast out to the bar where the fish are holding. I throw everything in my bag and can’t even get half the distance to the fish. Some nice old timer beside me sees my struggle, comes over and hands me a steel leader and a cast master and tells me to have a ball... boy did I! I was always grateful for that and will never forget it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, afterhours said:

I'm down at Soco with the wife on the water having clam cakes and chowda. A bunch of schoolies smashing bait out front within easy casting distance. A few guys catching and releasing some having a good time. There's this one guy maybe casting 30-40' not coming close. Reel upside down using one hand on the rod and the other holding the line 2' away from the rod did not look as if he was having a good time at all. I was very tempted to walk down to and try to give him a few pointers, wife said don't as you may embarrass him. I think I should have- what would you guys have done?

I'd give him a hand.  A numbers of years ago I got into a ridiculous bite with mostly rats at the end of the season.  I was getting so many I had taken the teaser off because I was tired of catching and unhooking two at a time.  A younger guy was fishing right by me and was striking out.  I gave him my lure and a few pointers which resulted in him catching instead of fishing.

Edited by jps1010

I'd probably ask how the action is, or some other generic fishing question, and then gauge by their response if I should offer help or leave them alone. I personally prefer to learn things on my own, but everyone learns differently. 

I would’ve showed him how to do as minimally as I could. Like I wouldn’t tell him when/where/how but I would tell him hey you’re not accomplishing what you’re trying to do.

It's tough. 

I thought about getting involved with a Father and very young son fishing not long ago, but I was unsure just like Don.  Didn't want to make the guy feel uncomfortable or bad in front of his kid.  I figured they were doing something together having fun, and that was ultimately more important than catching fish.  

I just felt bad because I was catching and they weren't, and to me it wasn't very hard...but it was a lake I have been hitting for 40 years, so... kinda have the approach dialed in. 

1 hour ago, Killiefish said:

I would have asked him if he wanted some help getting better distance.  Guy knows he ain't getting close.  If he says no thanks, say o.k. and walk away.

^^^ This.  Worded just like that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, ASrod said:

I would’ve showed him how to do as minimally as I could. Like I wouldn’t tell him when/where/how but I would tell him hey you’re not accomplishing what you’re trying to do.

That’s insulting. Geez...if I were him I would have kicked your butt..

Edited by levari