scoobydoo

New 13 strand 12 + 1 gore fiber braid.....and it's not Suffix. 9/15 update

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, hystyk1921 said:

Fireline is a fused line. many like companies fuse sections together, some do it better then others. Buy from a known line company even though it’s Berkeley, they make other lines that work; pro spec, and x9

I've always heard that....."companies fuse sections together."

I didn't know any differently....and thought that's what I saw on a few spools of power pro years ago...

But now having a better understanding on how braids are made....I don't think that's the case..

the "carriers" are on spools....if part of that carrier starts to fail....it'll stll find it's way into the weave...and show up like a bunched up ball....and once the finish is applied it can show up as a weld or bubble.

2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I didn't know any differently....and thought that's what I saw on a few spools of power pro years ago...

But now having a better understanding on how braids are made....I don't think that's the case..

the "carriers" are on spools....if part of that carrier starts to fail....it'll stll find it's way into the weave...and show up like a bunched up ball....and once the finish is applied it can show up as a weld or bubble.

Good to know, would that cause premature failure?

1 hour ago, hystyk1921 said:

Good to know, would that cause premature failure?

Absolutely. 

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gotta watch when blaming braid for wind knots......

[...]

Wind knots are 95% a line management issue 

I did spool it on an old cheap reel with terrible line lay. 
And my technique could more than likely improve a bit as well. I used the 20lb 8 strand, very soft braid. Maybe I should give it another shot. Then again, J-Braid x4 is $28.50 for a 1500yd spool and mentally it definitely feels better with a name brand line despite it being dirt cheap. 

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Like this 

DF394CDE-279A-4BAE-A230-6D8CDEA4A2E5.jpeg

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I agree.  I use Hercules for all 8 and bait and have not had one problem that I didn’t cause.  It’s dirt cheap and wears well.  PP SS v2 Is my favorite except on  older reels like 704’s, where Fireline takes the cake.

3 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Like this 

DF394CDE-279A-4BAE-A230-6D8CDEA4A2E5.jpeg

Yup..and I've seen far smaller or lower profile bubbles as well...

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, what I’m getting out of all of this  is that it’s smartest/safest to stick with name brand braids.

Yet, like every other gambler, I remain ever hopeful that I will discover some previously unknown super line which comes in many colors, on huge spools at unbelievably low prices.

I can dream, can’t I?

Edited by valentine

Scoobydoo what company makes Bullbuster? Have you given it a try? I haven’t seen a review from you on YouTube about any of there products.