jplee3

Willow Beach AZ tips for striped bass?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys,

Planning on spending a night at Willow Beach AZ/NV in early October on the way back from the Grand Canyon. Was hoping to target stripers (and trout) either by shore or possibly float tube (I'm currently in the process of trying to add oars to an outcast super fat cat lcs float tube). Was looking for suggestions on how to target these fish in freshwater whether off the tube or from shore and really just making the most of my time there since it's going to be limited. Also looking suggestions on gear to bring. I have some 300 and 400 sized baitcasters (concept z and okuma komodos) as well as heavier conventional gear. Spinning gear is 4000 at the biggest. My bigger 6000 sized reels are up in the Bay Area currently. I have targeted and caught a striper in the surf but nothing from freshwater yet so definitely a noob.

Thanks

Edited by jplee3

I haven't fished it but if it's hot I would fish topwater in early am and the evening "magic hour" or fish shady spots if accessible.  Standard bay lures should translate, or see what locals like.  

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

I haven't fished it but if it's hot I would fish topwater in early am and the evening "magic hour" or fish shady spots if accessible.  Standard bay lures should translate, or see what locals like.  

Thanks! I have a couple LuckyCraft 110 Flash Minnows and other crank and jerk baits. Although, just moved so a lot of stuff is packed away too. I did pick up some Kastmasters, a glide bait rainbow trout imitation, and bunch of rooster tail like spinners and am considering picking up some AC Plug like lures. I actually heard that bait and waiting frozen anchovies works well too but more so at night. If I can sneak in an evening session from shore I may. Otherwise, I'm gonna try to see if I can get in the float tube early AM and fish the dark through grey light, sunrise and for a couple more hours after.  

My thought on this from dealing with guys that fish that water is knowing how to approach them. Some areas will be a long distance game. Be it to breaking fish or ambush zones that fit that environment.

The other thought is using metal lip swimmers or other slow moving top water enticing one to blow up the plug. 

Classic way is to use the big topwater AC PLugs * I dont know if the trout hatchery is still operating, but when I fished that area heavily in 2010, every Friday the stripers would come up to feast like clockwork.  Dont need to upsize your gear too much, but i never worried with 20LBS braid, not much structure for them to break you off. Bomber Long A were cheap and effective too. You can catch the from shore but need some reach (why i used braid). The last 15 pounder i caught was on my tiny 50Mg and 6 ft bass rod setup. There was a little island you could wade out to (need waders and cant be too short or youll take on water), so floating out to the island would be good for extra reach in the water. night time was vest for me...especially when it gets HOT during the day. BTW, the stocked trout are gross to eat so keep that in mind. Good for some action, but thats it. 

Edited by TimS
We don’t allow commercial links here

13 hours ago, 650striper said:

Classic way is to use the big topwater AC PLugs * I dont know if the trout hatchery is still operating, but when I fished that area heavily in 2010, every Friday the stripers would come up to feast like clockwork.  Dont need to upsize your gear too much, but i never worried with 20LBS braid, not much structure for them to break you off. Bomber Long A were cheap and effective too. You can catch the from shore but need some reach (why i used braid). The last 15 pounder i caught was on my tiny 50Mg and 6 ft bass rod setup. There was a little island you could wade out to (need waders and cant be too short or youll take on water), so floating out to the island would be good for extra reach in the water. night time was vest for me...especially when it gets HOT during the day. BTW, the stocked trout are gross to eat so keep that in mind. Good for some action, but thats it. 

Thanks! I ended up buying a few plugs (Nokken 9", Arbogast AC Plug, and a couple jointed glide baits). I hear they stock with trout every Friday. Unfortunately, I'll be there Thursday and fishing Friday (probably before they stock). I have a 7' travel casting rod rated 12-25lb that I plan on pairing with my 300 sized BC loaded with 50lb braid and just picked up a cheapo Shimano FX 7' spinning rod rated the same to pair my 4000 spinning reel (loaded with 30lb jbraid) with. I'll probably top these with anywhere from 15lb to 25lb mono - like 4-8' lengths? Maybe 30lb mono at the max? I'm assuming swivels for fishing the plugs and glide-baits though so possibly 3-4' leaders of mono tied to swivels 

Anyway, I plan to get in the float tube early AM (hopefully launching a little before grey light while it's still dark) On Friday and kick/row (planning to attach oars) possibly north but open to suggestions. Is the "island" south of the Marina/launch?  EDIT: OH I think I see this island you're talking about :) I know there's a drop-off in that area so am actually debating between fishing that spot first or trying a little north and making the kick out to the Emerald Cove area..

If that fails, I suppose I'll have the fall back of bank fishing with the wife and kids later that day. That's interesting about the trout! What's "gross" about them? Do they taste "grassy"? I haven't had trout that's "gross" before but the bigger trout I've caught don't seem as 'sweet' to me as the smaller ones (this is coming from someone out in CA fishing the DFG plants though haha)

Edited by jplee3