jplee3

Willow Beach AZ tips for striped bass?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys,

Planning on spending a night at Willow Beach AZ/NV in early October on the way back from the Grand Canyon. Was hoping to target stripers (and trout) either by shore or possibly float tube (I'm currently in the process of trying to add oars to an outcast super fat cat lcs float tube). Was looking for suggestions on how to target these fish in freshwater whether off the tube or from shore and really just making the most of my time there since it's going to be limited. Also looking suggestions on gear to bring. I have some 300 and 400 sized baitcasters (concept z and okuma komodos) as well as heavier conventional gear. Spinning gear is 4000 at the biggest. My bigger 6000 sized reels are up in the Bay Area currently. I have targeted and caught a striper in the surf but nothing from freshwater yet so definitely a noob.

Thanks

Edited by jplee3

I haven't fished it but if it's hot I would fish topwater in early am and the evening "magic hour" or fish shady spots if accessible.  Standard bay lures should translate, or see what locals like.  

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

I haven't fished it but if it's hot I would fish topwater in early am and the evening "magic hour" or fish shady spots if accessible.  Standard bay lures should translate, or see what locals like.  

Thanks! I have a couple LuckyCraft 110 Flash Minnows and other crank and jerk baits. Although, just moved so a lot of stuff is packed away too. I did pick up some Kastmasters, a glide bait rainbow trout imitation, and bunch of rooster tail like spinners and am considering picking up some AC Plug like lures. I actually heard that bait and waiting frozen anchovies works well too but more so at night. If I can sneak in an evening session from shore I may. Otherwise, I'm gonna try to see if I can get in the float tube early AM and fish the dark through grey light, sunrise and for a couple more hours after.