Otony

What would you use this for?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pompano, sea mullet, surf fishing outer banks. I bet it would launch sand fleas or fish bites. We use 12s and 15s for drum fishing. They are great reels.

Edited by drumrun

I think Penn is making this smallest size to compete w Maxel and the like. The strength/power to line capacity ratio is crazy. After a long cast or a deep drop you would have a super slow gear ratio. 
But it does look cool. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

It looks.....interesting, but when I compare it to my Okuma Komodo 364, it is 5.3 ounces heavier, and yet holds less line, Okuma 250/12, Penn 245/10. The gear ratio is almost identical, Okuma 6.4:1, Penn 6.1:1

I realize I’m comparing a level wind to a conventional, and the casting properties will be different. So try this, what advantage would it have over a Fathom 12 that weighs only .7 ounces more? Yes, the Fathom 8 weighs 16.2 ounces, the Fathom 12 is 16.9! If the 8 weighed in at say 12 ounces, I could see it as something kind of useful, sort of? But at almost identical weights, what is the point? A Squall 12 weighs 14.4 by the way.

Cuteness points?

I forgot to mention that I own a Squall 12, and am going to pick up a Fathom II 15 Casting Special pretty quick

Edited by Otony
Additional information

After a little digging I discovered that this is part of Penn’s new rods and reels dedicated to Slow Pitch Jigging where narrow spools are the norm.