ooeric

seems alot less people use surf casting reels now...

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

is it just me, or am i seeing fewer and fewer people using conventional reels especially on the surf?

yall like throwing 4-10oz of lead, using a spinner, have a line, burn or dig into your index finger holding down that leader?

or having that rod snap/jolt your leading hand when you release line cast? (the classic whip rebound)

i dont know about you, but i cant stand using spinners for bait and wait/weight.

for plugs, heavy wind, super light lures, jigging offshore,  i understand using a spinner makes sense.

i guess people are becoming lazy/uneducated/just dont know the benefits of a casting reel on the surf.

or is it too intimidating?  does a open face reel scare you?  even with all brakes, mags, tensioners set?

lol, noob.

Edited by ooeric

I would rather shelf every spinner I own...fresh and salt...but they have their place...albeit getting more and more limited.

So many more benefits using conventional / baitcasters..in both fresh and salt......But there is a learning curve....and there are some hazards.

I always wondered where tackleadvisor's profile gif came from. As for me I am all spinning reels except when bass fishing because I need to use action specific rods that only come in casting outfits.

I haven't been fishing much this year.

But each time I head anywhere. Beach, pier, rocks, secret spot, bridges, 99% spinners.

Right side up, upside down reels, holding rod bottom casters,  5ft rods in 7ft wash or 20mph winds.  10lb mono throwing 5oz pyramids. 

The stuff I saw. Horrible.  And not even one casting reel the whole summer.

Damn.  I guess, us educated thumb casters are a rare bunch now.  

41 mins ago, Fishing-Addict said:

I always wondered where tackleadvisor's profile gif came from. As for me I am all spinning reels except when bass fishing because I need to use action specific rods that only come in casting outfits.

why allow that to limit you to only doing LMB fishing with them?

I will guess right now,that you are good with them anyhow so why not in salt?

just wondering.

HH

54 mins ago, ooeric said:

is it just me, or am i seeing fewer and fewer people using conventional reels especially on the surf?

yall like throwing 4-10oz of lead, using a spinner, have a line, burn or dig into your index finger holding down that leader?

or having that rod snap/jolt your leading hand when you release line cast? (the classic whip rebound)

i dont know about you, but i cant stand using spinners for bait and wait/weight.

for plugs, heavy wind, super light lures, jigging offshore,  i understand using a spinner makes sense.

i guess people are becoming lazy/uneducated/just dont know the benefits of a casting reel on the surf.

or is it too intimidating?  does a open face reel scare you?  even with all brakes, mags, tensioners set?

lol, noob.

does not apply to me,I only fish with casting reels for everything.

many year ago,before braided lines were heard of,an older guy told me that if I switched to casting reels that I would not go back to spinners,he was so correct!

never really felt spinners were perfect,they always felt clumsy and awkward to me even though I could use them with proficiency,they had an odd feeling to them.

with casting reels,I am totally at home,on my sofa,,,,5f5ecda594db3_HHPlugWerxLDP001.JPG.0974c7a97ef174fbe6b3e73c58739feb.JPG

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Love my baitcasters, but casting an 1/8oz inline spinner or a crappy jig is a pain in the ass. A baitcaster or conventional is my preference but in certain situations the spinner is the way to go. Surf, wind, bowed line I'm going to have to go spinner. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I guess people are becoming lazy/uneducated/just dont know the benefits of a casting reel on the surf.

maybe you would be as kind as to explain the ‘benefits’ of using bait casters over spinners........

A loud to very loud audible clicker, line capacity for physical size of reel, smoother casting, ability to cast VERY heavy weights or payload without cutting your finger off, durability with longer maintenance schedule, casting distance, overall size of setup (compactness) just to name a few.

Clickers are over-rated.......there are some relatively small spinners with great line capacity.......with a breakaway cannon that is not an issue.......a quality spinner is every bit as durable as a quality bait caster.......a long cast spinner with braid will cast at least as far if not further for most casters.....

Never grew up using them and when I did have a chance, birds nest or casted 10’. I own 3 of the smart bait casters now but they still never get used. Don’t care for them and I don’t fish for green carp “largemouth bass”. Spinning reels now have enough line capacity on a light frame. It’s no big deal throwing heavy weights once or twice an hour if more than I use hockey tape.

2 hours ago, Fishing-Addict said:

I always wondered where tackleadvisor's profile gif came from.

I'm assuming you're talking about scoob's avatar? It's from the chive from a few years ago. If you don't know what the chive is, check it out. Cool website /app to kill time. Funny pictures and videos, cool stuff, hot women. Can't go wrong really.

37 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

with a breakaway cannon that is not an issue

Agreed. I have these on my chunking rods. They're great and I'll never cut my finger again. Though I haven't chunked in at least 3 years.

Nowadays technology has caught up with saltwater spinners and rods. If Im casting bait/chunking and waiting sure I’ll take a conventional or bait caster. Same if I’m fresh water fishing love a nice low-profile...but standing in a lineup, changing conditions on the surf, and all the artificials/plugs out there a spinning reel just has so many advantages without the added potential headaches For the unfamiliar. I also notice most people aren’t fans of loud clickers, I guess it’s preference, I like a audible click but not a loud screamer or super silent one either. It takes extra skill no doubt and stands out when you see a guy with a magic thumb launching stuff out there, but for most people it’s a extra skill to learn for a give or take benefit vs grabbing a proper spinning reel and rod and just getting out there.