shu

shore cast jigging and slow jigging

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

small tin are not the same as micro jigs. They have completely different action. Even thought they are very similar they have very different action and flutter when it's sinking. Maybe it's less noticeable on the beach since it's relatively shallow but once you get around 20 ft of water around jetty or something like that should be very noticeable 

On 7/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Rush2808 said:

These are some of the shore jigging with microjig videos that I've managed to record without my kids lol

I have the bug for shorecasting slow jigs pretty bad. I caught a few bluefish off a jetty doing it with a 20g jig I bought for 75cents. It falls impeccably and the hookup is so fun. Are you using a particular rod for slow jigging or are you just using your regular “striper/plugging” rod?

38 mins ago, BobBass said:

I have the bug for shorecasting slow jigs pretty bad. I caught a few bluefish off a jetty doing it with a 20g jig I bought for 75cents. It falls impeccably and the hookup is so fun. Are you using a particular rod for slow jigging or are you just using your regular “striper/plugging” rod?

Im using a rod with soft tip and moderate action. Fast tip wont work with slow jig...unfortunately a lot of the striper / plunging rod action is too fast and the bend isnt moderate enough. I found that the black hole suzuki was good for 20-40gr or the daiwa "surf special" i had posted on my YouTube video. I think the most crucial part of it all is line diameter, need to go as light as possible. I'm using majorcraft crosride 5g for inlet slow jigging 30 - 60gr and the daiwa for 10-30gr but the daiwa might be too light for inlet.

1 min ago, Rush2808 said:

Im using a rod with soft tip and moderate action. Fast tip wont work with slow jig...unfortunately a lot of the striper / plunging rod action is too fast and the bend isnt moderate enough. I found that the black hole suzuki was good for 20-40gr or the daiwa "surf special" i had posted on my YouTube video. I think the most crucial part of it all is line diameter, need to go as light as possible. I'm using majorcraft crosride 5g for inlet slow jigging 30 - 60gr and the daiwa for 10-30gr but the daiwa might be too light for inlet.

Thanks! I’ve been doing it with a conventional slow pitch tsunami rod on party boats all summer. It’s amazing how slow a 2.7 oz jig can fall. I have been using jigging word slow jigs and just recently discovered these cheap light jigs on Ali Express’ website. 

2 mins ago, BobBass said:

Thanks! I’ve been doing it with a conventional slow pitch tsunami rod on party boats all summer. It’s amazing how slow a 2.7 oz jig can fall. I have been using jigging word slow jigs and just recently discovered these cheap light jigs on Ali Express’ website. 

Thats where I got my jig but I tie my own assist as I dont trust any factory hooks. As for boat rod I recommend majorcraft crostage slow pitch rod its great for the price. 

My uncle got a nice striper on one of these last fall. He bought it because it looked cool lol. I might have to check these out they are surely something you don't see on Long Island at least.

I've caught just about all the species on the island with these jigs. One thing though about these jigs, some are made of leads, some are zinc alloy and the expensive ones are tungsten. The diff type of metals affect on how fast or slow the jig itself sinks due to the specific gravity and of course also the shape of it. Zinc is the slowest to sink with tungsten the fastest.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm interested in the double assist hooks.   Something I've never tried butI'll try it.  

Thanks for those videos @Rush2808

I messed around with this technique a little last week. 1/4oz size diamond jigs I casted with block tin.  I got no hits, but the conditions were awful. I had a good visual on the lure at times and really liked the flutter/fall.   

If it pans out and I find I use this alot more, I may buy a small flutter jig mold. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

17 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm interested in the double assist hooks.   Something I've never tried butI'll try it.  

Thanks for those videos @Rush2808

I messed around with this technique a little last week. 1/4oz size diamond jigs I casted with block tin.  I got no hits, but the conditions were awful. I had a good visual on the lure at times and really liked the flutter/fall.   

If it pans out and I find I use this alot more, I may buy a small flutter jig mold. 

The right way to do it is to wrap it with thread like a fly and its a lot of work, but the method I used seems to work fine. I've had one failed when i used too thick of an assist cord on a thin hook because the spade end slipped off the knot. What I find interesting is that a free swinging double assist seems to have a better hook up rate. I'll post a video on making it one of these days.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another question. 

What is your line to leader connection?  

I've switched to a small Spro Power Swivel for my light tackle fishing. My braid keeps cutting thru my leader at the knot.  Only happens with light braid.  I dunno why but it's frustrating.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Another question. 

What is your line to leader connection?  

I've switched to a small Spro Power Swivel for my light tackle fishing. My braid keeps cutting thru my leader at the knot.  Only happens with light braid.  I dunno why but it's frustrating.  

FG knot

K. Got 2 jigs from Majorcraft and some premade assist hooks for stuff I make.  

You guys leaving the rear treble on?

I was thinking of tying some bucktail flags for the rear and ditching the treble. Also the bucktail as a scent vessel.