beret

Need FW fishing rod/reel for small fish

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Guys , long time SW surf fisherman, too much gear,too many lures,too many rods/reels................know jake s___ about FW fishing. We have a friend , about 75 years old ,that has health issue,Parkinson,etc but just found out he likes to fresh water fish the local pond/lakes.........and does so just about every day......morning and evening. I would like to join him for company but know literally nothing about fresh water. He fishes bait/bobber type fishing but I will be throwing meps,rubbers,etc.......what the cheapest thing I can get without looking too "just out of Walmart". I'm  thinking a rod/reel combo 5' or under and do not want to spend anymore that $50.......any ideas what I can get on line. Thanks.

Berkley Cherrywood Rod in your choice of length (around $25.00) with the Shimano Sienna reel should give you a decent, serviceable combo real close to your $50.00 limit.  OH

Purchased the Sienna 3000, for my grandson for bay fishing, small fish snapper blues 6 to 8 inches.  I was pleasantly surprised... so I paired it with my 8 foot ODM  and caught a few 6 to 8 lb. blues from the surf.  Probably will buy another for a back up, for $30.00 you can’t go wrong!

Take your surf rod with you,,,,,:eek: load the hook up with nightcrawlers or white breed and a little corn juice,,,,no weight,,,,,,:) there might be a 50lb carp or cat in there,,,,,,,,:D

17 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

Berkley Cherrywood Rod in your choice of length (around $25.00) with the Shimano Sienna reel should give you a decent, serviceable combo real close to your $50.00 limit.  OH

I second this. Sienna has a reputation as a long time solid budget reel. I had a 7’ Medium Cherrywood and that rod was remarkable for the price. Super sensitive. It is a little brittle so don’t do stupid stuff and it should be completely OK. I broke mine on an oyster reef being an idiot. ;)