bob_G

Looking for a new spinning rod

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a new dual purpose spinning rod. Something I can use for schoolies, albies, and also at the Chu should the mood strike. 

Any suggestions?

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm looking for a new dual purpose spinning rod. Something I can use for schoolies, albies, and also at the Chu should the mood strike. 

Any suggestions?

What's the "Chu"?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Any suggestions?

What length and weight rating? 

Part of an article written by my old friend,  i have this rod and love it. I could email you the article,  or let you test cast at one point.

In addition the rod should be able to cast light weight swimmers (3/8 oz) as well as more substantial plugs, jigs, tins, up to about 1 to 1 1/2 oz. The rod should also have enough guts to handle the larger fish we might run across. It should  be long enough to have the leverage to reach well out beyond the wave break line, as well as being light in weight. The specs we have laid down suggest rather strongly, a Graphite blank.

After some research into what was available that would match the requirements listed, we chose a high tech graphite Lamiglas blank, MOD # IMSA 102 2H. This rod will outcast even regular graphite by a good 20% .It was decided that since we would be using lighter weight lures, a spinning rod configuration would be the way to go.

3 hours ago, foxfai said:

Star steller lite might fit what you need?

Stellar Lite Spinning Specs

I literally just got one of these today and broke it in proper on some snapper blues.  Was really windy fishing from boat today and it outcasted both my 7' Lamiglas and Epixor.  I also have a 7' 6" Mojo Inshore coming this week, would be interesting to see how they compare.

7' SG1020ISM paired with Penn Conflict II 4000, $100.  I bought it as my new Albie rod, hoping to get down to Cape this week.

tsunami airwave elite 8'8 medium rated 1/2 to 2. I use it for shore based albies and schoolies all the time and I actually use it at the chu too. took a 25in rainbow on it there this spring.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

If money is not an issue than a Century Weapon Jr. 

I use the Century Slingshot, 8' 6", .5 - 2.5 oz as my distance rod at the 'Chu. Dam that is a good rod.

I've also used it as a funny fish rod on cape beaches.  I've even caught stripers with it. 

You can catch 14" rainbows with it, yet you never feel like you're horsing in a small fish or underpowered with 5lb smallies, lakers over 5lb or slot sized stripers.

However, it's not a cheap rod. I paid about $280+ in 2014 for it. I believe it's more expensive now.

Edited by zak-striper

11 hours ago, z-man said:

Mojo inshore 7’-6” medium heavy with a 4000 size real. The purple model. Not sure about the new teal colored ones. 

I was going to suggest the same rod.  I've got 2 of them and they are at the top of my list for versatile light tackle rods.

sam