Maine Guide

Recommend a Good Grinder/Sander

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So, I’m about to tackle the iron fence around my pool. Has plenty of rust spots I need to sand down before I touch up. 

I do have a palm sander. But may need to add to my tools for some of the non-flat surfaces like the latch areas. 

3876C165-32FB-47CD-AD10-66601589D08A.jpeg

14FE12B5-6438-4B60-86E8-9F8C71E0495E.jpeg

639CF8E7-41FA-4678-835A-E26686C33778.jpeg

9F11CDA9-EF33-4EF3-ADDB-F36DD6D79AC0.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Grinder with a wire wheel, and eye protection of course 

This ^^^

A wire wheel will do well, but a flap wheel grinder/polisher kit will get to more places around the latch and such. Less hand work this way, though you'll still have some of that. 

Get a grinder without a positive on/off switch. Get one with a paddle switch. Much safer.

I have a Dewalt DWE402W

Hunnert bucks from the orange store.

Edited by Ben Lippen

+3 on the grinder approach.  I didn't have one for years.  Bought a used Makita at a yard sale a few years ago and use it all the time-  With wire wheels, sanding wheels, cutting disks, and diamond wheels these are a a really versatile tool.  Like most of us, I had a Dremel tool for years and did the wire wheel on  a drill thing for rust removal. -  there is absolutely no comparison.  Mine doesn't have the paddle switch but i can see how it is safer.  Either way, make sure you pay attention on how you hold it and how you set it down while the wheel is spinning.  And eye protection isn't optional

For this kind of occasional use do the cheap Harbor Freight thing, you can get a 4.5" angle grinder for $24, even with the paddle switch. Sometimes it's nice to put these on an inline speed control when using wire wheels, those wheels going 10k rpm can be kinda terrifying!  Pro tip, if you don't have a 20% off coupon handy, just google it on your phone and show it to the checkout, works fine.

image_11357.jpg

12 hours ago, rathrbefishn said:

+3 on the grinder approach.  I didn't have one for years.  Bought a used Makita at a yard sale a few years ago and use it all the time-  With wire wheels, sanding wheels, cutting disks, and diamond wheels these are a a really versatile tool.  Like most of us, I had a Dremel tool for years and did the wire wheel on  a drill thing for rust removal. -  there is absolutely no comparison.  Mine doesn't have the paddle switch but i can see how it is safer.  Either way, make sure you pay attention on how you hold it and how you set it down while the wheel is spinning.  And eye protection isn't optional

That is good advice,I can't link here, but on another site a guy got a deep cut from setting the grinder down while the wheel was spinning.

If you don’t plan on doing this for a living harbor freight is a good suggestion, but I would look at a cheap compressor and go to tractor supply, they have a selection of gravity feed sandblasted guns and bags of whatever you want to use for the finish you want, or go online and type making a cheap sandblasted. Sanding is to much  like work

I agree with most here. I have done a lot of this type of work. A disc grinder will make the hard parts come off easier. You can use a wire brush wheel to get the tight areas. I have bought a few power tools from Harbor Freight. I don't have any left. They all broke. Spend good money on a good product and you will have it for a long time. My 2 cents.