Surf set-up for Georgia?

Rate this topic

Jason B

Heading down to Georgia not to steal a soul, but to do some kayak fishing. Thought I’d bring a couple surf rods for the evenings, just for fun. Not sure what to bring. As you probably know, it’s pretty shallow for a few hundred yards, less than 8’ and not big sea but the fish are potentially big. Do you need big storms, frogs, Sputnik’s or my 8NBaits rigs for those conditions? Not sure what people are using or what to bring. Any help appreciated.  
(yeah, I know its not NC, but you guys would know better than anybody) 

"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

Are you planning inshore or ocean? The surf is normally no where near as rough as the OBX so a lot of what you asked about sounds kind of heavy to me. 

Inshore, I'd go with plastics and jig heads or weighted hooks, floats, and carolina rigs.

Ocean, some of the same with heavier jigs and weights, add some medium storms and bottom rigs.

Add a couple spooks and spoons and you should be good to go. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

Thanks

From the beach. I’ll hit the inshore with my kayak and zman jigs. Its the beach that’s got me scratching my head in Georgia. With small shallow surf, but potentially bigger sharks and reds, im lost on the set ups.

Edited by Jason B

On 9/13/2020 at 7:03 AM, Jason B said:

Thanks

From the beach. I’ll hit the inshore with my kayak and zman jigs. Its the beach that’s got me scratching my head in Georgia. With small shallow surf, but potentially bigger sharks and reds, im lost on the set ups.

It depends what beach you will be fishing from. Where will you be at?

For the St. Andrews area, where there might be a mullet run when you go, the fish are close by, within 50 yards. The mullet if they are in, are about 10 feet off the beach. You could snag them with a treble or cast net for them. For St. Andrews, I wouldn't go 7-9' for the rod, and a medium reel, maybe a 4000 size.  The same set up if you can make it over by the beaches by the water park, and the beaches by the pier with the dead trees.  

Off the beach, in front of the convention centers and restaurants, I would bring the traditional size surf gear and cast out far. So a 6000 or bigger with a six ounce sinker on a 10 - 12 foot rod, go with either 4/0 or 6/0 size hook.  Bring the 4000 size set up as well and keep it close within 20 yards from the beach and use a 1/0 or 2/0. 

Sting rays can be a real disaster, so use floats, such as walleye or cigar floats when possible. The rays are big enough to fight for forever. Since I switched to using floats, I cut down on about 85% of the rays.

If Im out there next week, wave high. I'll be the guy with the 11' spinning set up and the 8' casting rod.

^^^^
thanks a ton for your help, a lot of great info. I knew the mullet would be around, but didn’t even think of snagging a dropping. Also good advice on the rays, really going to try to advoid the sharks and rays, but they’re inevitable. I’m an artificial guy on the yak, but for surf, I’ll do whatever. FL does have some great fishing but I have been getting addicted to fishing the GA low country. 

Thanks again

Edited by Jason B