fishin'fool

Dinghy fishing

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, Anyone fish from a 10ft dinghy? I am picking one up this week. Late in the season i know but i'm looking for any tips, tricks and of course warnings. Also what species can you still target this time of year? thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spent a lot of my younger years fishing from a friend's 10 1/2 foot plywood skiff in Long Island Sound.

The plus side is that you can get tight to the rocks, casting for striped bass.  We caught bass and blues, along with smaller stuff.  Also tried to catch big brown sharks, fortunately failing, but we were 14 and immortal at the time; probably something that you shouldn't try as an adult.

The minus side is that you need flat water, and preferably a waterway that won't bury you in the wakes from squatting Sea Rays or commercial vessels.  The little boats are fine in coves and estuaries, but you need to stick close to shore.  Especially in the fall, when cold fronts can come out t from nowhere and turn a flat bay into something very dangerous in a matter of a minute or two, they can be very vulnerable.  On a calm summer morning, in a stable weather system, they can be surprisingly effective if you respect their limitations.

This time of year, I'd limit my fishing to bass and blues in very protected waters, trying to stick to shores sheltered from the prevailing breeze.  Don't go out if winds over 10 kt are expected, and stay home if a cold front is predicted to pass through.  And any time something doesn't feel right at all, go home.  At one time, such little boats would have been great for winter flounder, but they've been pretty well gone for long time, now.

Edited by CWitek

Been poking around the back back with a 12ft porta-boat and a 6hp outboard. Watching weather and staying in smaller water has been the key. Try to find bait along the sod banks. As the weather changes picking good days will be tougher. The best part of having a little boat is getting into spots bigger boat's can't, use that to your advantage. I'm looking forward to spring when shallow bay spots warm up first and get fish active.

I grew up spending a lot of time on my Grandfather's 12ft inflatable dinghy, mostly fishing for Schoolies. It was a ton of fun, but I'll echo what's already been said: stick to back-waters and calm days. It may sound cliché, but always wear a life jacket and wear the engine kill-switch lanyard. It's a 10ft dinghy, so you can move around the boat without the need to take the lanyard off, and there are plenty of inflatable or meant-for-fishing life jackets that are pretty comfortable. Always have a second form of communication - on my last boat (17fter that I took a lot of risks in...) I always had a portable, waterproof VHS on the boat and it gave me peace of mind.

For functionality... find a way to mount rod holders to keep your rods out of your way and allow you to do some trolling if you want to. It will make a big difference. Also, having lighter setups makes a world of difference, especially on a smaller rig. If all you've got are surfcasters, consider picking up some 7-8ft medium or medium-heavy spinning setups to give your arms and back a break. Then get out there and crush some stripers in the fall run!

Been fishing with mine for a year now. Like other said stick to safety. Dingy bounce on top of water and will skate faster then a boat. Any wind will push you much quicker then other floats on water. 

Use a crate and mount some rod holders on the side. I just zip tie them or hose clamp them. Mount them in different way so you have trolling and holding. Always bring a pump and oars. Learn all the safety courses if you can. 

Read and re-read the weather before you get out. Get a portable waterproof VHF. Get a oh **** bag and put anything you can think of 'if' something goes wrong.