drp1223

Best beginner reel

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, snag777 said:

show me beter price for new same quality fly reel.

Oh please, there's no way that reel performs as well as a $400 reel.  It won't even come close to my Coltons, and they come in under $400.  All you have to do is look at the website, bad grammar, drop shipped, I'll stop there.

I really like Lamson Waterworks reels for inexpensive but quality reels.  You can find them around if you look at discount sites like Sierra Trading Post or Backcountry.  
I recently purchased a Lamson remix.  It has a machined frame but cast spools.  So you get the quality where you need it and cost savings where appropriate. 

To the OP - if you don't have enough information to make a decision, which basically I think you do, let folks know what species and size ranges of fish you are thinking about pursuing and whether you will be fishing from shore, boat or both.  Also, are you more interested in this sport than just as a beginner learning experience or lark or are you serious about this?  Finally, give us a price range or maximum.  That way you will get better input if needed.

If a lark or just to learn, any decent reel even those costing under $150 might be fine.  You have several suggestions already.

If from shore - in my opinion, look into a reel that can be cleaned and dis-assembled easily.  Ask people more about these.  There is no such thing as a reel that doesn't need maintenance eventually if dunked or tossed in the sand, again IMO.  That's why I like the specs of the Echo Bravo. No tool maintenance is a neat trick and it's dirt cheap.

If boat - a reel with a more solid frame and reliable high end drag is a worthy investment.  Ask people more about these.  You can easily re-sell a higher end fly reel if you don't trash it.

If species like the one shown, I'd probably spend more money than $150.  Ask others about drag systems maintenance needs and reliability of big game reels.  If you have to go cheap, the Behemoth is sort of o.k. for the price and can be adequate for use on blue water species in the short term or occasional use category.

In all cases, a large arbor reel will store line without as much tendency for line curl and the retrieve rate will be better than a standard arbor reel. But for the same diameter it will store less backing, so you might want a bigger size (esp for species as shown in avatar).

In all cases, a reel with fewer moving parts that are easily reached might be preferable to one that is "sealed" but not really sealed.  Seals fail.  More seals may mean more places to fail.  The Orvis reel mentioned has lots of seals, and lots of parts in the parts diagram.  Parts diagrams for most reels are on line. Search for them. 

9 hours ago, Killiefish said:

In all cases, a reel with fewer moving parts that are easily reached might be preferable to one that is "sealed" but not really sealed.  Seals fail.  More seals may mean more places to fail.  The Orvis reel mentioned has lots of seals, and lots of parts in the parts diagram.  Parts diagrams for most reels are on line. Search for them.

Stationary seals usually do not fail if installed correctly and they are mostly gaskets and not seals. In case of Orvis Hydros, the likely point of leakage is part 28, O-ring 5 as it is the seal between the shaft and drag housing. The other possible point is 4 (O-ring 2) or 13 (O-ring 3). One of them works to seal gap between the drag knob and the reel frame. Mostly this is stationary so failure probability is small compared to the one between the shaft and drag housing.

Personally I like sealed reels that are easy to disassemble. This means the reel inside tend not to see the water, salt etc. But if they do, it is easy to check and clean.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Oakman said:

Oh please, there's no way that reel performs as well as a $400 reel.  It won't even come close to my Coltons, and they come in under $400.  All you have to do is look at the website, bad grammar, drop shipped, I'll stop there.

if you say somting be specific,modell and price.

you can not find same price reel  9/10 Piscifun,is $136 sealed reel,i am using the reel on 2handed fly rod and it work perfect,and i use same reel on single handed rod.

if you like to buy 9/10 reel from another company you have to spend $400 and up,i am not waisting my money.

if Piscifun can make reel and sell for $136 and make profit,the other company can do that to only defrent they make 300% profit,i do not suport them.

I'll chime in. I'm an oddball around here, in that I prefer reels with NO drag at all. Now keep in mind that I don't target anything bigger than a 10 lb. coho or a 10 lb. striper.  (Blue water fly fishing is whole nother planet that I cannot speak to.) But for me, one of the things I love about fly fishing is the fun of palming the reel when fighting a fish, especially when they decide to run for it. I guess you can do that with a drag as well, if you set the drag lightly, but the interior of a click-pawl reel when you pop off the spool is SO easy to clean. Another thing I love is the tradition of the old days, so for an inexpensive clicker I use the Pflueger Medalist. The gold standard for clickers is the Hardy, which is more of an investment, but worth every penny. Another option using an alternative no-drag design in the Danielsson Original from Sweden, which is reasonably priced even though it comes direct from the factory in Sweden. 

Should mention that I have nothing specifically against the Orvis reel mentioned.  It has lots of seals and that's fine.  But if one of the two main seals fail you might not know until the reel is AFU.  Saltwater will get in and it's not a particularly easy reel to maintain.  You'd likely have to send it back to Orvis.  I'm sure they'd be happy to repair it (provided you haven't tampered with it already trying to fix it), or replace it (maybe, ditto), but it might take awhile and you'd be SOL while you wait.  Lots of parts (aka fiddly bits) to get lost or damaged or unable to refurb properly) means you'd probably just have to send it back and hope they honor the warranty.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:52 PM, Uncle Stu said:

I'll chime in. I'm an oddball around here, in that I prefer reels with NO drag at all. Now keep in mind that I don't target anything bigger than a 10 lb. coho or a 10 lb. striper.  (Blue water fly fishing is whole nother planet that I cannot speak to.) But for me, one of the things I love about fly fishing is the fun of palming the reel when fighting a fish, especially when they decide to run for it. I guess you can do that with a drag as well, if you set the drag lightly, but the interior of a click-pawl reel when you pop off the spool is SO easy to clean. Another thing I love is the tradition of the old days, so for an inexpensive clicker I use the Pflueger Medalist. The gold standard for clickers is the Hardy, which is more of an investment, but worth every penny. Another option using an alternative no-drag design in the Danielsson Original from Sweden, which is reasonably priced even though it comes direct from the factory in Sweden. 

This is a cool perspective. Especially in today's fly fishing scene. Those Danielsson's looks sweet. Plenty of atlantic salmon have been landed on click and pawls why not schoolie stripers? Sounds like a lot of fun! 

Or bigger than schoolies. Click and pawl could be likened to a stick change car gear box with a dodgy clutch. With skill the gears can still be shifted. Likewise with skill this design of reel can be happily used to land very big Stripers.

Might lose a bit of skin doing so but doable.

Could  be considered as taking a purist approach and a fairer fight.

Mike

22 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Could  be considered as taking a purist approach and a fairer fight.

Which is ironic, since I'm no purist with regard to what I put on the other end of my line. I have fly-fished with salmon roe or worms without thinking twice, when it made sense to do so.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:10 AM, bostoned said:

I really like Lamson Waterworks reels for inexpensive but quality reels.  You can find them around if you look at discount sites like Sierra Trading Post or Backcountry.  
I recently purchased a Lamson remix.  It has a machined frame but cast spools.  So you get the quality where you need it and cost savings where appropriate. 

I will second this. I bought some Liquids recently and they get the job done. Waterworks sells package deals of 1 reel and 2 spools.  They also have sales discontinued reels on their website. 

I’m a firm believer that to effectively fish the northeast you need to be able to fish the entire water column meaning you will need 3 setups floating, intermediate, and sinking.   I could not accomplish this with all the expensive high end gear.   I’ve become a huge fan of using maxcatch saltpro rods and there avid reels.  I also have there spartan sealed reel.  I can fish 3 set ups for the price it would cost to have 1.  My fishing buddy has all types of high end fly rigs that I have used and none have been able to convince me to pay those kind of prices.   I have even been able to convince him to buy  a saltpro outfit cause he was impressed buy the way it casts.  I’m a firm believer that finding the right fly line for the rod is the most important factor.  I have a maxcatch predator rod that I absolutely hated till I started playing with different lines that I had laying around and now it comes on ever trip with me as my sinking line rod.  Won’t cast a floating line but it loads perfectly with a 300gr sink line.   

45 mins ago, Davidianfishing said:

I’m a firm believer that to effectively fish the northeast you need to be able to fish the entire water column meaning you will need 3 setups floating, intermediate, and sinking.   I could not accomplish this with all the expensive high end gear.   I’ve become a huge fan of using maxcatch saltpro rods and there avid reels.  I also have there spartan sealed reel.  I can fish 3 set ups for the price it would cost to have 1.  My fishing buddy has all types of high end fly rigs that I have used and none have been able to convince me to pay those kind of prices.   I have even been able to convince him to buy  a saltpro outfit cause he was impressed buy the way it casts.  I’m a firm believer that finding the right fly line for the rod is the most important factor.  I have a maxcatch predator rod that I absolutely hated till I started playing with different lines that I had laying around and now it comes on ever trip with me as my sinking line rod.  Won’t cast a floating line but it loads perfectly with a 300gr sink line.   

Wow some crazy responses on this thread.  To the OP - you do not need three set ups (kinda sounds like a shill no?), you do not need a sealed reel, don't get a reel with no drag and you definitely don't need a Mako.  Buy some good quality stuff and if you hate fly fishing there is an active secondary market for fly fishing gear.  There are dozens of threads that help a beginner out on this forum.  Do some research and come back with more specific questions.