jesgord

Is it me....or is this false advertising?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2020 at 1:13 PM, LowEnd said:

This is not false advertising but rather a misinterpretation. 

Sorry, gotta disagree - they assigned a quote about an entirely different brand and model rod to the rod they are trying to market. That's false advertising. Their celebrity endorsement had nothing to do with the rod they are selling, it was for a different brand...a different model...from a different company. How is that a misinterpretation...what was misinterpreted?

TimS

On 9/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, scoobydoo said:

A year later John and JandH developed the dark matter rod.  The goal being....Develop a rod with updated components, and cosmetics... with an  action, power and length being like the cut down 1 piece with some personal preference added to the mix.  Voila...the Dark Matter/ Skinner rod....using the same quotes...

So Skinner quote being used to market and sell a rod that John wasn't talking about because the manufacturer hopes their new blank will be exactly like the one John was talking about? Does that sum it up fairly? It stinks, Scoob...I know they are friends of yours, but using a quote to market something because you hope it will be just like the thing the quote was about is dishonest. It's also a lotta wishful thinking, making a blank from scratch has never once produced a blank exactly like the one being copied from a different company, at least not as far as I'm aware. So many variable in materials and craftsmanship...has anyone successfully copied a GSB120-1L blank perfectly?

How hard would it have been to get one of these actual blanks/rods in John's hands and let him say something nice about it? :)

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

44 mins ago, TimS said:

So Skinner quote being used to market and sell a rod that John wasn't talking about because the manufacturer hopes their new blank will be exactly like the one John was talking about? Does that sum it up fairly? It stinks, Scoob...I know they are friends of yours, but using a quote to market something because you hope it will be just like the thing the quote was about is dishonest. It's also a lotta wishful thinking, making a blank from scratch has never once produced a blank exactly like the one being copied from a different company, at least not as far as I'm aware. So many variable in materials and craftsmanship...has anyone successfully copied a GSB120-1L blank perfectly?

How hard would it have been to get one of these actual blanks/rods in John's hands and let him say something nice about it? :)

TimS

I thought so too which is why I even bothered to call him about it.....I told him the dude's got a damn good point....

And he changed everything as of the other day.  

I understand where Josh was coming from since they developed the first product which the new product is based on....and yadda yadda yadda....But I wouldn't have done that....and it' snot like skinner is mr hollywood where ya gotta jump through hoops to get a quote.

In regards to the bold....That's what I said....Considering he'd been fishing the proto for the better part of the season....And that's what he did...(changed the info)

Edited by scoobydoo

Tim, going to have to agree with you. Looking back I don’t feel there was intent too miss lead but your right this is false advertising.

My take on it was I knew that JS did not use the dark matter rod as described by J&H so I was not fooled. 
That can’t be said for the masses.

In one of his books (forget which) he almost gives you a step by step on how to build the original cut down 9' Lami rod. Obviously people have been fishing/making that setup long before Skinner but it was nice Lamiglas offered a factory version. I compared mine to a buddies he built and they were literally almost the same to the guide placement.

Maybe its time for a poll asking if this false advertising will impact our decision to buy Dark Matter products in the future. 

...i kid, i kid. Im still against cancel culture of any kind. 

Free Kil Song!!!

I was looking for a moderate 9' rod to match with a Saragosa 5000. I was looking at Salt-x and Airwave elite, and then Skinner puts out this video. The rod's action looked great in the video. Skinner himself said he fished the salt x, and if you want a slightly faster action he recommended that over his own DM rod.  I wanted a more moderate action rod. I also wanted a 2 piece with a 70/30 split, so I took a chance on the DM. The guide train doesn't look like most of the fancy guides on today's rods (a medium TA clip will fit thru the tip) but the components seem to be of good quality. 

Conditions haven't been optimal for giving the rod a good workout, and I don't have the reel that I intend to use the rod with yet (I decided to wait for a Gosa 6000 SWA over the 5000 SW) so I used a Slammer III 5500 loaded with 30# PP. Unfortunately, the line was junk and every decent hit resulted in a mystery breakoff. Last time out, I swapped out the reel for another Slammer III 5500 after another breakoff, then I hooked up with a mid 20ish schoolie The rod has a nice action, I think it will do well with larger fish, I just need less damn wind and to find some decent fish to back that up. I did have the rod out on a less windy day, it casts 3/4 oz bucktails and SPs just fine, just had no fish around that morning.

So, I'm no hard core surf guy, I have no experience with th Lami, but for the money I'm happy with the DM so far. YMMV, and perceived false advertising may turn you off, or you may just dislike all things Skinner, but I'm satisfied with the purchase.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, VanStaalSteve said:

Will/did Lamiglas terminate their relationship with Skinner over this situation? 

Wondering the same thing.  There are now 2 JS 9'2" rods on the market??/  Lami and this DM brands?