jesgord

Is it me....or is this false advertising?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2020 at 7:06 PM, NoFlukenName said:

I’ll also add that John has no sponsorship deals with Tsunami, Gulp or Quantum.  Other than though his affiliate links, he’s never received a penny from any of those companies.  I also know that he gets sent rods to try and pitch and he absolutely won’t if he doesn’t believe in them.  Obviously, I’m not commenting on the Original Post, but addressing some of the “he pushes products that don’t work cause companies are paying him to do so” comments.  Just not true.....

From my own first hand experience with John Skinner I can honestly say he's a stand up guy.  Seven years or so ago I sent him some unsolicited samples of my wobble jigs asking him to try them on fluke in the surf.  Didn't hear back from him for a long time and figured he wasn't impressed with them.  Finally I get an email from him out of the blue telling me to check out a couple videos he made and put on YouTube.  To my surprise he was using them for blackfish and porgies.  Next time I saw him I asked what I could do for him and he declined my offer.  He could have made some money for his efforts but didn't.  

His videos and books are top notch.  His in person lectures and presentations are great too.  All done with a high degree of professionalism and abundant knowledge.

37 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

From my own first hand experience with John Skinner I can honestly say he's a stand up guy.  Seven years or so ago I sent him some unsolicited samples of my wobble jigs asking him to try them on fluke in the surf.  Didn't hear back from him for a long time and figured he wasn't impressed with them.  Finally I get an email from him out of the blue telling me to check out a couple videos he made and put on YouTube.  To my surprise he was using them for blackfish and porgies.  Next time I saw him I asked what I could do for him and he declined my offer.  He could have made some money for his efforts but didn't.  

His videos and books are top notch.  His in person lectures and presentations are great too.  All done with a high degree of professionalism and abundant knowledge.

Wait a second....that can't be....I read on the internet that he only uses what people pay him to use.....

LMAO

On 9/12/2020 at 7:02 PM, The Zen Master said:

Marketing is just another word for lying.

Not good marketing - this is false advertising and I'm sure Lami has/will have lawyers involved. 

2 hours ago, jesgord said:

I originally brought this to Josh's attention on August 27th.  At the time, he said he would update the description....but that never happened. To be honest, he seemed dismissive of the point I was trying to make. So-I waited for a couple of weeks for the descripton to be changed and it never was.  That's why I ultimately decided to post about it here. For me, it has nothing to do with Skinner, the products he hocks or whether or not the rod is good or a piece of crap.  I just felt that it was deceptive and should be changed.  Sometimes it takes a bit of public pressure to get people to do the right thing.

thats a lot of the NE surfcasting industry. It's unbelievable that consumers allow themselves to be treated the way that they are. 

On 9/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

If an opportunity to profit financially from an enjoyable hobby arises, I would imagine that most would jump on it..

I think most of us tend to expect too much.  I don't know how much money one can earn in a year of running a mom & pop tackle shop, but I'd guess its less than the salaries of most white collar professionals.  Competing against wal mart and bass pro  and TD for the online trade has to cut their profit margin to near-zero. Etcetera - the content management skills and marketing chops of guys who like to go fishing  and try to make a few bucks at it can't be fairly compared to the largest & most profitable outfits.  I like having a place to get live bait before sunrise, maybe get some local advice if I'm traveling, and the ability to quickly replace the hot plug that I lost on the rocks, so I patronize small tackle shops whenever I can.  I don't expect them to be geniuses, web professionals, or even purely ethical, but you can generally trust them to do what's in their interest, which means that they want you to come back and spend another thirteen dollars next year.

PS, I caught my first fish - a Sea Robin - on my dad's 1950-something Ted Williams rod & reel. Endorsing s%$#*y gear that you don't use is as old as the outdoor sporting press.  I've still got it, and it still works.

7 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

Not good marketing - this is false advertising and I'm sure Lami has/will have lawyers involved. 

See my previous posts in this thread ... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I don't think either are being disingenuous.  But they did the exact same thing to a T.

You are correct...Lami did essentially the same thing that J&H did.  Regardless, that doesn't make it right.  I posted about this to see if people felt (or didn't feel) the same way I did..That is why I posted the Title of the thread as a question-not a statement. As with most issues, some people agreed with my take, others did not.  If Josh felt strongly that the use of the quote was appropriate in the context it was being applied-he had no obligation to change it.  As a consumer, I felt the use of the quote was misleading.  I have no problem with people respectfully disagreeing with each other.  Sometimes you simply have to agree to disagree.

Edited by jesgord

23 mins ago, jesgord said:

You are correct...Lami did essentially the same thing that J&H did.  Regardless, that doesn't make it right.  I posted about this to see if people felt (or didn't feel) the same way I did..That is why I posted the Title of the thread as a question-not a statement. As with most issues, some people agreed with my take, others did not.  If Josh felt strongly that the use of the quote was appropriate in the context it was being applied-he had no obligation to change it.  As a consumer, I felt the use of the quote was misleading.  I have no problem with people respectfully disagreeing with each other.  Sometimes you simply have to agree to disagree.

Yup..which is why I called him about it... I felt similarly as you...  His intention though wasn't to mislead.   And it wasn't done with any ill intent to take advantage of anyone.

From his perspective it was a no harm no foul....but he gets it which is why he changed it.

39 mins ago, ASrod said:

Everyone’s too obsessed with fishing drama. It’s overrated and gay af 

Sounds like people are desking too much, instead of fishing....

It do be hilarious though

19 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Sounds like people are desking too much, instead of fishing....

It do be hilarious though

It’s because you have the 50% of people that think the rod is a Lamiglas and alibaba rape baby and the other 50% who see it as another China made option in to the ODM DNA, Airwave Elite and Salt X group. Smfh

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

Everyone’s too obsessed with fishing drama. It’s overrated and gay af 

And what exactly was the first post you contributed to this thread?

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Scooby needs to haveva signature reel!

I'll loob it with scooby looby loob :)