jesgord

Is it me....or is this false advertising?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I can't really even blame them... If an opportunity to profit financially from an enjoyable hobby arises, I would imagine that most would jump on it.. they say that if you do what you love, then you never really work a day in your life.. speaking from experience, I tend to disagree with that statement, but I do see the appeal..  

I've thought the same thing thousands of times. Writer or Guide it would be the life. But, dealing with the public and telling all your secrets doesn't seem like something I could ever do.

I love what I do for a living. Its definitely alot of work tho...

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

You know what they say, you can’t shine ****, but you can roll it in glitter.

Never heard that one before.  It's funny.  Gonna have to remember it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I called Josh after seeing this thread....as the perception didn't sit right with me..... using the quotes about one rod to describe the other.....etc.....

His perspective when adding the quotes...wasn't anything nefarious....He just felt they were aimed to describe the action, power, application and benefits of why people built the 1 piece the way they did....

(He's going to change them and understands how they can be misconstrued.)

At the same time.....

John's quotes which were originally applied to the Lamiglas /skinner 1 piece....were supplied by JandH / Skinner  ........to describe that original 1 piece...which Lamiglas now uses on their 2 piece.....  (so in essence  Lamiglas is doing the same exact thing that JandH did)

Keep in mind....The original 1 piece skinner lamiglas rod (and the attached quotes) was a  result of JandH wanting to turn a rod that was only available as a custom..(Which many,NOT just Skinner fished..no one involved is claiming they invented it).....into a production rod.  They entered into an agreement with lamiglas to make the rod...

Lamiglas decided to no longer honor the agreement....and stopped manufacturing the 1 piece rods...despite requests for more...Lamiglas then came out with the two piece... 

A year later John and JandH developed the dark matter rod.  The goal being....Develop a rod with updated components, and cosmetics... with an  action, power and length being like the cut down 1 piece with some personal preference added to the mix.  Voila...the Dark Matter/ Skinner rod....using the same quotes...

Edited by scoobydoo

I’ll also add that John has no sponsorship deals with Tsunami, Gulp or Quantum.  Other than though his affiliate links, he’s never received a penny from any of those companies.  I also know that he gets sent rods to try and pitch and he absolutely won’t if he doesn’t believe in them.  Obviously, I’m not commenting on the Original Post, but addressing some of the “he pushes products that don’t work cause companies are paying him to do so” comments.  Just not true.....

5 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

Does the tackle shop in Oakdale produce or rebrand the Dark Matter line? Never heard of it and can’t find them for sale anywhere else. 

It's a j&h in house brand.. and in all honesty, they really do make a quality product.. good blanks, good components, very competitive pricing... I've been pleasantly surprised by every dark matter rod I've ever picked up.. the OB has been a very fun addition to Albie season.. 

Who cares what rod John Skinner fishes. I read his books and learned a lot. The only way your going to know what you like is to fish different rods. I just keep buying rods and fish them until I find the ones I like. Sell the ones you don't like. You can't get a feel for what you like in a book or on the inter-web. 

On 9/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, jesgord said:

A tackle shop in Oakdale recently released their Dark Matter John Skinner Surf Rod.  In the description on their site, they use a quote from Skinner about the cut down Lami 120-1L rod he has used over the years and make it seem like he said this about the new Dark Matter rod. (See the description of the DM rod and the description of the Skinner rod on their website below) The Dark Matter Rod May be a fine rod-but that’s not the rod Skinner was talking about. It’s also a two piece rod when the original Lami rod is a one piece. I asked the store owner about this and his response was, “That description fits this new rod. I will have him update it once he gets more time on the water with it. He told me he caught a 36 lb bass with it the other day.“ Not really the point if you ask me. I realize this seems a bit petty-but I just don’t think they should be using the quote about the Lami to sell their new private label dark matter rod.  Just rubs we the wrong way 

98BFE525-2EA2-44CE-9ECC-DC5AA7496AC2.png

E5199643-FA5D-4E44-B39A-7C566476E39E.png

Here's the updated rod description......

I wonder if Lami will update theirs now...as it applied to the 1 piece.

“The origins of this go back to the mid 90’s when I first handled John Scherr’s 9-foot “Montauk Eel Rod”. I knew it was a starting point for what I wanted. Over the next 25 years a high percentage of my surf fishing on ocean and sound beaches was done with variants of that rod. I tweaked the length and guide layout, and upgraded guides as better ones became available. Other than length, I had no control over the blank itself, until I had the opportunity to specify exactly what I wanted in this Dark Matter model. After adjustments were made to a series of prototypes, the rod is now exactly what I’ve been looking for! This moderate action 9-foot 2-inch rod has a lure sweet spot in the 1- to 3-ounce range, but I regularly use it for heavier plugs as well as live and rigged eels. It’s a superb pencil popper and bucktail rod, and provides effortless long-distance casts with plugs similar to Daiwa Salt Pros. The rod allows schoolie bass to give a good account of themselves, but the moderate action lets the angler take advantage of the power in the full length of the rod to easily whip bass in the 30- to 40-pound-plus range. This 70/30 split 2-piece rod fishes like a 1-piece while providing a wider range of transport options. Casting fatigue on long fishing sessions is reduced by incorporating advances in modern blank technology, resulting in the rod weighing only 10.2 ounces!”

The Dark Matter John Skinner Surf Spinning Surf Rod is a 2-piece rod and is rated 15-30 lb (mono rating) with a 1-3 oz lure rating, but it can actually handle up to 4 oz lures. The 70/30 split means you get all the action of a one-piece rod with the portability of a 2-piece. They are gray and black with a hint of purple. If you're a fan of John Skinner or if you just love surf fishing, add one of these rods to your arsenal. They are priced right!

10 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

The Main has been doomed for years now thanks to you fellas..:dismay:

Are you OK?

I give this troll a 2 out of 10

I originally brought this to Josh's attention on August 27th.  At the time, he said he would update the description....but that never happened. To be honest, he seemed dismissive of the point I was trying to make. So-I waited for a couple of weeks for the descripton to be changed and it never was.  That's why I ultimately decided to post about it here. For me, it has nothing to do with Skinner, the products he hocks or whether or not the rod is good or a piece of crap.  I just felt that it was deceptive and should be changed.  Sometimes it takes a bit of public pressure to get people to do the right thing.

16 mins ago, jesgord said:

I originally brought this to Josh's attention on August 27th.  At the time, he said he would update the description....but that never happened. To be honest, he seemed dismissive of the point I was trying to make. So-I waited for a couple of weeks for the descripton to be changed and it never was.  That's why I ultimately decided to post about it here. For me, it has nothing to do with Skinner, the products he hocks or whether or not the rod is good or a piece of crap.  I just felt that it was deceptive and should be changed.  Sometimes it takes a bit of public pressure to get people to do the right thing.

Are you going to call Lamiglas asking they change their description?  After all...they did the exact same thing...

21 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Are you going to call Lamiglas asking they change their description?  After all...they did the exact same thing...

I wasn't planning on it.  For some reason, I do not find the use  of the quote on the Lami 2 piece Skinner Rod as objectionable.  I think its because the original quote was actually about a rod built on a Lami blank. I think we can all agree that the 1 piece 120-1-L and two piece 120-1-L are different rods-so I guess the use of the quote actually is misleading. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but it just doesn't seem as disingenuous to me...  

2 mins ago, jesgord said:

I wasn't planning on it.  For some reason, I do not find the use  of the quote on the Lami 2 piece Skinner Rod as objectionable.  I think its because the original quote was actually about a rod built on a Lami blank. I think we can all agree that the 1 piece 120-1-L and two piece 120-1-L are different rods-so I guess the use of the quote actually is misleading. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but it just doesn't seem as disingenuous to me...  

I don't think either are being disingenuous.  But they did the exact same thing to a T.