Is it me....or is this false advertising?

Rate this topic

jesgord

To answer question - yes it's misleading and not right to take a quote from one product and use for the other.

On Skinner's video where he is introducing the DM Skinner rod, he takes a slight dig at the/"his" Lami Skinner 2pc model when, in the comments he notes "Where this one [DM] wins for me is when I compare it to the 2-piece Lamiglas Skinner rod. I like this one better. That's not surprising though, because I had full control over the final action on this one."

Makes it hard to trust anything with his name on it if he doesn't fully control what has his name on it (and this seems true for most "celebrity" branded products), and doesn't even use it. Reminds me of all those Food TV shows back in the day when they went from being technical and informative for a select market to being all about branding, marketing & personality to connect with the masses. How many Emeril pots and Rachel Ray knives are used at home by the host. Same deal seems the case here.

Edited by Tak

This is not false advertising but rather a misinterpretation. Someone at J&H was in a rush to put something together for their website and took a short cut.

I think most of us know what John used in the past which BTW is the Montauk eel rod, is not the Darkmatter rod bye a long shot.

On principal, I would never buy any rod associated w John skinner. In honesty, I find most of the gear he fishes to be garbage and I believe his opinion has a price.. IMO he chooses to fish gear that is provided to him by his sponsors, not because of its quality. Most of what he promotes is in the low to mid price point, it's easy turnover crap that's mass produced and has a much higher profit margin.. 

I believe any of the information or descriptions I read about his branded products to be nothing more than marketing, and I'm not offended by embellished marketing. Marketing is a lure designed to catch people, as fishermen we should respect that... Just be smarter, don't bite..

Edited by Beachglass Guru

41 mins ago, LowEnd said:

This is not false advertising but rather a misinterpretation. 

This is correct.  But regardless of what you call it, it is deceptive and inaccurate.  Furthermore, it has been brought to their attention and they have elected not to correct it. 

41 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

On principal, I would never buy any rod associated w John skinner. In honesty, I find most of the gear he fishes to be garbage and I believe his opinion has a price.. IMO he chooses to fish gear that is provided to him by his sponsors, not because of its quality. Most of what he promotes is in the low to mid price point, it's easy turnover crap that's mass produced and has a much higher profit margin.. 

I believe any of the information or descriptions I read about his branded products to be nothing more than marketing, and I'm not offended by embellished marketing. Marketing is a lure designed to catch people, as fishermen we should respect that... Just be smarter, don't bite..

My take is JS doesn't care about refinement when it comes to tackle. He had a random Accurist lying around the house, used it for fluke, and now Quantum is pumping out accurists to the northeast fluke jigging crowd like hotcakes. Someone handed him some POS Tsunami rod and he "fixed" it by lopping off 4 inches and now it's the perfect deep fluke jigging rod. 

It's not like he tried out different lopro reels or what the current rod market has to offer, and compared features and winnowed down models to what really fits the type of fishing he does; he doesn't care about any of that. Having skipped those "enthusiast" steps, perhaps now he's sponsored by the crap he was using all along...I don't know the details. 

It does prove that you don't need nice gear to catch fish, but personally...I like nice things. 

4 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

I'm a bit old fashioned but...I believe the guys making the rod blanks and wrapping them know a lot more about rod performance and design than I ever will. To that point I do not understand "cutting" a rod down at either end unless you, the actual owner, have a specific reason for doing so, like feel, power, situational performance etc. No two will be alike.

Its so that the rod cutter can claim there is voodoo going on, and sell stuff, or make money off someone else selling stuff with the rod-cutter's name on it...

Marketing 101

Many years ago I bought a 7'-something Lamiglas popping-rod blank from Midland Tackle in Sloatsburg, NY. Came home, bent it off the ceiling, didn't like how it bent, cut the tip back to 7-ft - I still have the rod it is my favorite of any rod I have ever touched. No voodoo.

Those who know, do not talk; those who talk, do not know. - Tao Te Ching 56

Defeat exists only in the minds of defeated men, and I will never be one of them.

3 hours ago, jesgord said:

I don’t really care that it’s Skinner-it’s more about the fact that it was NOT the rod he was talking about.  

I think/hope everybody here understands and agrees with your point...it's not the same rod. Now, the discussion is about advertising, endorsing, and who should be responsible for it all. Yes, the tackle shop is full of it and 'wrong.' How accountable they should be held is in dispute. Some people say "who cares, I know enough to buy a rod that does what I want", and some idiots will buy the wrong rod because somebody endorsed a different rod for a different purpose. These threads take on a life of their own, and hoping somebody actually answers the actual question in the OP will lead to high blood pressure.

My favorite part of this whole story was the 'he caught a 36lb bass with it the other day'. My first surf rod was a $20 clearance item and I eventually caught a 36lb bass with it, but I would only recommend this rod to an enemy...unless I sell it on the BST, in which case it will be listed as a rod that catches 36#ers

18 mins ago, buddha162 said:

My take is JS doesn't care about refinement when it comes to tackle. He had a random Accurist lying around the house, used it for fluke, and now Quantum is pumping out accurists to the northeast fluke jigging crowd like hotcakes. Someone handed him some POS Tsunami rod and he "fixed" it by lopping off 4 inches and now it's the perfect deep fluke jigging rod. 

It's not like he tried out different lopro reels or what the current rod market has to offer, and compared features and winnowed down models to what really fits the type of fishing he does; he doesn't care about any of that. Having skipped those "enthusiast" steps, perhaps now he's sponsored by the crap he was using all along...I don't know the details. 

It does prove that you don't need nice gear to catch fish, but personally...I like nice things. 

I agree.. IMO he fishes what's provided to him, and those items that he pushes, he recommends them because he receives financial benefit from the the sale of those products, not because he feels it's the best tool for the job..

I am sure you are aware that he gets a piece of all skinner rod sales, all skinner S&S bucktail sales, etc... 

The products he pushes are priced to be accessible to the largest portion of the market and therefore have the greatest potential sales numbers... 

If shakespeare branded a skinner rod and gave him a sweet cut on sales, he'd be pushing shakespeare rods next season..

I can go fishing with a drop line if need be, but I prefer to fish nicer gear..

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I've come to this realization too. I liked his first book and saw him speak twice at shows early on. But, he totally seemed to become a wh**e to companies giving him gear. 

Like another poster noted cutting down a gsb to make a better rod was common practice. He had nothing to do with its inception. He openly states the tho..

Come to think of it alot of outdoor writers become puppets to companies. But, who am I to judge.

5 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I've come to this realization too. I liked his first book and saw him speak twice at shows early on. But, he totally seemed to become a wh**e to companies giving him gear. 

Like another poster noted cutting down a gsb to make a better rod was common practice. He had nothing to do with its inception. He openly states the tho..

Come to think of it alot of outdoor writers become puppets to companies. But, who am I to judge.

I can't really even blame them... If an opportunity to profit financially from an enjoyable hobby arises, I would imagine that most would jump on it.. they say that if you do what you love, then you never really work a day in your life.. speaking from experience, I tend to disagree with that statement, but I do see the appeal..