jesgord

Is it me....or is this false advertising?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

A tackle shop in Oakdale recently released their Dark Matter John Skinner Surf Rod.  In the description on their site, they use a quote from Skinner about the cut down Lami 120-1L rod he has used over the years and make it seem like he said this about the new Dark Matter rod. (See the description of the DM rod and the description of the Skinner rod on their website below) The Dark Matter Rod May be a fine rod-but that’s not the rod Skinner was talking about. It’s also a two piece rod when the original Lami rod is a one piece. I asked the store owner about this and his response was, “That description fits this new rod. I will have him update it once he gets more time on the water with it. He told me he caught a 36 lb bass with it the other day.“ Not really the point if you ask me. I realize this seems a bit petty-but I just don’t think they should be using the quote about the Lami to sell their new private label dark matter rod.  Just rubs we the wrong way 

98BFE525-2EA2-44CE-9ECC-DC5AA7496AC2.png

E5199643-FA5D-4E44-B39A-7C566476E39E.png

Nothing against the shop, but those dudes always do a hack job on advertising. I saw a post (I think it was from a lami dude but don’t quote me) and I heard they sent the Lamiglas rod to China to be recreated and might have a lawsuit coming their way. But this is all speculation.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think they just needed a quick description to post up in the meantime. But yes I noticed that too.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

42 mins ago, The Zen Master said:

Marketing is just another word for lying.

that was harsh . . . maybe embellishing the truth sounds more marketing-ish?

Lying is lying. Marketing is about telling a story. Is it a "tall tale" or hype .. or is it about relating info that resonates with potential customers.

Most everyone who fishes for Stripers and goes on the internet knows who John Skinner is and his story. He tells stories all the time on his Youtube channel. Overtime the Skinner name has become a "brand" based on what John Skinner likes & does. So the new Dark Matter "Skinner" rod is analogues to the Lamiglas "Skinner" rod, which was analogues to the older production Lamiglas GSB 10ft blank shortened in the butt, etc.

Marketing is story telling ... it does help if the company gets the story straight.

Am I the only one out there who buys a rod based on whether it does what "I" want it to do?

Why should I give a damn if someone else is happy with it?  

With regard to "my" gear, what matters that it performs how "I" want, no?

I'm a bit old fashioned but...I believe the guys making the rod blanks and wrapping them know a lot more about rod performance and design than I ever will. To that point I do not understand "cutting" a rod down at either end unless you, the actual owner, have a specific reason for doing so, like feel, power, situational performance etc. No two will be alike.

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Am I the only one out there who buys a rod based on whether it does what "I" want it to do?

That’s why I started building my own. I’m sure if people used “my” rods it may not be for them because I built them for “me”. This is also why rarely will ever build a rod for someone else. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Anyone who buys anything based on celebrity endorsements shouldn't complain if it turns out that it is not what they expected.

Edited by CWitek