Fall run reports?

Rate this topic

gimbap1707

One rat this morning on a needlefish out front. Packed beach, and to the one other guy catching, you're an a**hole for the way you had zero regard for the couple of fish I saw you bring in and literally punt back into the ocean. Human garbage. Fall run always brings out the real winners.

I've been togging off the beach for the past couple of weeks now, action's been good. Feel like water temps are still hovering around 60 (correct me if im wrong), but should be dropping with the recent weather. Just trying to get in as much fishing time as possible while they're still in shallow. Also, what length rods do you guys use off the beach/rocks? I've been using my 9ft Genesis but unless I hook something decent, it's not much fun and it's also uncomfortably long. I don't cast far for them, would 7'8 suffice? The area I fish is super prone to fish running you into a rock, which is why I've been using something long. 

1 hour ago, gimbap1707 said:

I've been togging off the beach for the past couple of weeks now, action's been good. Feel like water temps are still hovering around 60 (correct me if im wrong), but should be dropping with the recent weather. Just trying to get in as much fishing time as possible while they're still in shallow. Also, what length rods do you guys use off the beach/rocks? I've been using my 9ft Genesis but unless I hook something decent, it's not much fun and it's also uncomfortably long. I don't cast far for them, would 7'8 suffice? The area I fish is super prone to fish running you into a rock, which is why I've been using something long. 

8 foot tsunami trophy 2 is a sweet spot for me

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

4 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

One rat this morning on a needlefish out front. Packed beach, and to the one other guy catching, you're an a**hole for the way you had zero regard for the couple of fish I saw you bring in and literally punt back into the ocean. Human garbage. Fall run always brings out the real winners.

Seems like when they aren't punting them... they are coordinating an Insta-Photo Shoot.

I completely understand... you gotta get the angle right to make the schoolie look like a keeper

I had a first for me tonight..... Snagged a schoolie in the eye w/ treble, which has been happening a lot this fall. When I got him to my feet the thing was spazzing out hard and just died. Never seen a fish shake like that unless stabbed in the head or something. I think this might be the first fish I've had to put back dead from a plug.

4 hours ago, outtasight said:

I had a first for me tonight..... Snagged a schoolie in the eye w/ treble, which has been happening a lot this fall. When I got him to my feet the thing was spazzing out hard and just died. Never seen a fish shake like that unless stabbed in the head or something. I think this might be the first fish I've had to put back dead from a plug.

Should have brought home for dinner 

went to my old stomping grounds last night once the rain slowed.... perfect 9pm night tide... glass water.. was bucktailing a few rips for nothing. threw an plastic eel near some rocks first cast cow absolutely inhaled it.

walk back and see typical poachers  sitting in their cars with high beams to help them rig bait.

8 hours ago, outtasight said:

Had similar experience the other night, fish choked the plug so bad it hooked his gills. Even though it was a single it was bleeding and it ****ing killed me to have done that, but not sure what I could have done differently. When I finally got it out though his gill plate and him back in the wash I gave him a nice revival and he kicked semi-well on the release. Still thinking about it days later, hope that fish made it.

"I learned from Javier the Russian, that you never, never sit down while fishing a chunk. You gotta respect the fish, respect the bite."