harley48

Grouper arrest

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, JoelJ said:

Amazing! . . . 9 days from catch to arrest from picture they saw in social media . . . wonder how long it will take for them to act if picture is directly submitted to them :waiting:

He sent it in a group text and someone ratted him to fwc trying to get him in trouble, and they did because he posed for pictures a long way from where it was caught in a prohibited area based on the story. Different from someone trying to get people to realize they are promoting bad practice based on the regs and stop doing it or atleast be smart enough not to post it if they do when company and product reputations are on the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, dennysnook said:

He sent it in a group text and someone ratted him to fwc trying to get him in trouble, and they did because he posed for pictures a long way from where it was caught in a prohibited area based on the story. Different from someone trying to get people to realize they are promoting bad practice based on the regs and stop doing it or atleast be smart enough not to post it if they do when company and product reputations are on the line.

you still don't get it do you? how's it different?  if there's a violation, perceived or otherwise, regardless of intent and how they get the "evidence",  you believe fwc should act depending on the intent of people sending it to them and not on the evidence itself? what better way to stop "promoting bad practice based on the regs and stop doing it"  by acting on it rather than "at least be smart enough not to post it if they do when company and product reputations are on the line." I think you can do better than giving  that kind of advise  :howdy:.

Edited by JoelJ
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules, regulations and Laws are all useless unless they are actually going to be enforced.

Yeah, the kid is only 18 and he’s got no priors and it’s just too bad for him that he got caught. But he did get caught and now there’s a price to pay regardless of what his intent was or what his knowledge of the law was.

The Judge will take his age and prior history into account at sentencing and I’m sure the kid won’t get hit with the biggest  hammer they could swing at him.
But, incidents like this and enforcement of the laws they violate do get the rest of us to sit up and take notice and there are many who will now think twice before committing a similar act themselves.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, JoelJ said:

you still don't get it do you? how's it different?  if there's a violation, perceived or otherwise, regardless of intent and how they get the "evidence",  you believe fwc should act depending on the intent of people sending it to them and not on the evidence itself? what better way to stop "promoting bad practice based on the regs and stop doing it"  by acting on it rather than "at least be smart enough not to post it if they do when company and product reputations are on the line." I think you can do better than giving  that kind of advise  :howdy:.

When it comes to violations, there is alot of leeway given depending on "intent" at the officers discretion. You may not intend to hurt the fish, you may think that the only way to target trophy fish is at night with treble hooks where it is a pita to land them and get the hook out at times regardless, and you may think that these photo shoots are quick and painless and the fish goes back healthy and swims off, but you haven't witnessed otherwise or know better so argue against it. You are taking someone's word on what happened, their view on something which goes against the regs/recommendations and supporting that it is ok to do it and keep doing it until you get in trouble, that is what I don't get. PM me, I can send you the appropriate contacts that you can send the pictures to, show presendence and repeat offending, and you can see for yourself if there is any follow up and if they suggest doing it that way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

I wonder if he didnt know the laws or identified the fish incorrectly. Eithet way that's an expensive lesson. He'd be free right now if he didnt post the picture haha

 

What kind of rod was he using?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, olvart said:

I would prefer the FWC  made examples of some of the Youtube  warriors instead of an 18 year old kid that was  probably clueless.

 

I'd prefer both.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 mins ago, valentine said:

Rules, regulations and Laws are all useless unless they are actually going to be enforced

 

This.  And selective enforcement cheapens every rule and, in turn, compliance with rules.

 

If its a rule worth having in place, give no quarter.  If not, then get rid of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dennysnook said:

He sent it in a group text and someone ratted him to fwc trying to get him in trouble, and they did because he posed for pictures a long way from where it was caught in a prohibited area based on the story. Different from someone trying to get people to realize they are promoting bad practice based on the regs and stop doing it or atleast be smart enough not to post it if they do when company and product reputations are on the line.

Damn hope Mr. Kil was right, and everyone has his back here...

 

 

 

Photo of Anyzeski with the goliath grouper. (Source: FWC)

 

Anyzeski was arrested last Friday. His bond was set at $7,500.

Anyzeski-Goliath-Grouper.jpg?w=420

Is there water on the tail of that fish?

 

If you zoom in on the tail of the fish; it appears to have water on it.

So, is the fish in, or out of the water....:)   :laugh:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, dennysnook said:

When it comes to violations, there is alot of leeway given depending on "intent" at the officers discretion. You may not intend to hurt the fish, you may think that the only way to target trophy fish is at night with treble hooks where it is a pita to land them and get the hook out at times regardless, and you may think that these photo shoots are quick and painless and the fish goes back healthy and swims off, but you haven't witnessed otherwise or know better so argue against it. You are taking someone's word on what happened, their view on something which goes against the regs/recommendations and supporting that it is ok to do it and keep doing it until you get in trouble, that is what I don't get. PM me, I can send you the appropriate contacts that you can send the pictures to, show presendence and repeat offending, and you can see for yourself if there is any follow up and if they suggest doing it that way 

 

Thank you. Just don't forget that there always is 2 sides of the coin that's why the regulation writers were consulted.  Without any definitive answer from them and maintaining I am right and you are wrong won't get us anywhere and everything at this point remain as opinions. Sad to hear "there is a lot of leeway given" by the authorities but noooo, it don't count here ... not in here you don't - we'll just keep on :deadhorse: until something gives.  

 

PM you so you can send me appropriate contacts? If you're really serious or seriously hoping the community can get together as you mentioned here's something even better ... why don't you put here the "appropriate contacts that you can send the pictures to" so other responsible "sportsmen" and the fishing community as a whole can help the authorities enforce these conservation regulations ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.