Ben Lippen

IBSP circa 1988

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

up until the most recent replenishment, there were several wrecks that you could reach off of the beach

Yeah, so there was never any beach replenishment done on IBSP as I believed. 

North and south of there, yes. Jetty re-build and they pumped the pocket I remember. But that was it.

Mother Nature takes care of the rest if you just let her alone. 

Any child that ever built a sand castle knows the futility of moving beach sand against the tide. :dismay: 

26 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yeah, so there was never any beach replenishment done on IBSP as I believed. 

North and south of there, yes. Jetty re-build and they pumped the pocket I remember. But that was it.

Mother Nature takes care of the rest if you just let her alone. 

Any child that ever built a sand castle knows the futility of moving beach sand against the tide. :dismay: 

Correct, I meant just close by. Thank goodness that the park will never be replenished, however a lot of the lbi sand ended up there which may explain why some thought it was. I believe I read that when sand is pumped onto the beach, only 30% ends up remaining. The other 70 quickly ends up in the rivers, inlets, northern beaches and inshore structure. 

Edited by SurfCaster01289

I'm thinking 14. 

Never any sand pumping in the state park.

Edited by Jettyhound

On 9/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, Local24 SSP said:

First I’m hearing of that. Know they “rebuilt” the jetty from the mean high tide line to 100 yards west. A few years back. They found a wreck under the rocks and had to stop working to document it. 
Mouth of Barnegat is getting crazy from the pumped sand. Water goes from 40’ to 11’ about 200-300 yards ENE. 

Tell me about it, it's pretty unnerving looking at 15 ft breakers on a fairly calm day trying to leave the inlet. Almost **** my pants a couple times coming in last fall.

On 9/11/2020 at 0:47 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Anyone else remember this wreck?

A - what number?

In the worst of our times for the resource, I caught more than a few large near this spot.

Scan0088.jpg.4174866e5b2f748b7e80c98c271023f1.jpg

I remember it.  We swam out to it several times.  It was quite large at that point.  Do you remember the netter lost his net and it washed up filled thousands of bunker?

1 hour ago, Frede said:

I remember it.  We swam out to it several times.  It was quite large at that point.  Do you remember the netter lost his net and it washed up filled thousands of bunker?

Yes, I was there for that mess. 

On 12/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Yes, I was there for that mess. 

This is later when it washed out badly but so many great memories walking along the skinny path casting Finesse on hot summer nights for weakies.   

Bulkhead 2.jpg

5 hours ago, Frede said:

This is later when it washed out badly but so many great memories walking along the skinny path casting Finesse on hot summer nights for weakies.   

Bulkhead 2.jpg

Great catches back there for many years. Had somegreat nights

wading out to that rock point in the top right of your pic. Geeters could

carry u away on the right (wrong) breeze off that old wood bulkhead.

Good times!

I found a short bass trapped behind the bulkhead on a falling tide. I like to think I’ll run into her in the future at some point...  

50 mins ago, yosco said:

Great catches back there for many years. Had somegreat nights

wading out to that rock point in the top right of your pic. Geeters could

carry u away on the right (wrong) breeze off that old wood bulkhead.

Good times!

The point was great.  Eels in the ditch on the back side at night did well.  My neighbor was friends with the family that had the lease on the house up on the hill back there.  He said they had junk cars everywhere rotting away....explains why as the dune eroded rear axles etc were everywhere.       

54 mins ago, Gully said:

I found a short bass trapped behind the bulkhead on a falling tide. I like to think I’ll run into her in the future at some point...  

Ha I remember someone telling me they caught blues in there...

On 9/11/2020 at 0:47 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Anyone else remember this wreck?

A - what number?

In the worst of our times for the resource, I caught more than a few large near this spot.

Scan0088.jpg.4174866e5b2f748b7e80c98c271023f1.jpg

Pretty sure that was at 14. Kick out to it in mask

and fins quite a few times. One time found a live fluke

on a leader wrapped around it. Broke fluke off and trailed

the line to a boat rod w a penn conventional that was like

new. Many moons ago.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Frede said:

Bulkhead 2.jpg

One of the best fish holding structures on IBSP, miss it dearly and yes a west wind at night made it brutal to fish!!! I remember saying to a friend as we approached it for the first time, "why is everybody wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts? is it supposed to get cold tonight?" That was also the first and last time I've walked away from biting fish (weakies, real ones not spikes!)

19 hours ago, tacoboy said:

One of the best fish holding structures on IBSP, miss it dearly and yes a west wind at night made it brutal to fish!!! I remember saying to a friend as we approached it for the first time, "why is everybody wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts? is it supposed to get cold tonight?" That was also the first and last time I've walked away from biting fish (weakies, real ones not spikes!)

It certainly was a productive area to fish.  All is not lost because there's still a couple spots that will produce bass and fluke back there.