osprey47

albacore recipe???

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Not going to lie...raw it taste like absolute dog **** .  Has anyone found a good recipe to make it work?  I considered smoking it as that is the only way to make bluefish edible but I fear it will fall apart , deep fried?   I have twenty pounds to go mad scientist on  so anything you've been thinking of trying let me know ill give it a shot. 

57 mins ago, C.Robin said:

1. Insert directly into crab trap

2. Wait

3. Eat crabs instead

with tautog season coming up for me I have strongly been considering this , will save me a headache

21 mins ago, flyphoto said:

Throw back in water for others to catch

I usually will but I enjoy trying new things and making new dishes, so unless they are completely inedible I will keep trying , I take only what I will eat  and nothing goes to waste ever  not like they are in short supply either, ask the people in florida 

False albacore are good eats -- but you need to bleed and ice right away. If possible, gut the fish, too, and pack the body cavity with ice. This cools down the endothermic muscle unique to tuna that enables super-fast bursts of speed. The muscle also gives off heat, which can spoil the flesh. At home, filet the fish, then cut out the center blood line. This leaves four loins. Cut the loins into chunks then toss into a marinade of soy sauce, white wine, ginger, olive oil, garlic and dry mustard seed. Let is sit for an hour or two. Then sear on the grill leaving it rare in the middle. Serve with corn on the cob and dark beer. The key is bleeding and icing. If you can't do this immediately, do yourself and the fish a favor and let it go.

4 hours ago, CS said:

False albacore are good eats -- but you need to bleed and ice right away. If possible, gut the fish, too, and pack the body cavity with ice. This cools down the endothermic muscle unique to tuna that enables super-fast bursts of speed. The muscle also gives off heat, which can spoil the flesh. At home, filet the fish, then cut out the center blood line. This leaves four loins. Cut the loins into chunks then toss into a marinade of soy sauce, white wine, ginger, olive oil, garlic and dry mustard seed. Let is sit for an hour or two. Then sear on the grill leaving it rare in the middle. Serve with corn on the cob and dark beer. The key is bleeding and icing. If you can't do this immediately, do yourself and the fish a favor and let it go.

great post!!! This is super helpful!!Exactly the type of response I was hoping someone would put up Thank you!!!! I will try this when I land some Sunday ;) 

I decided to throw some in the smoker with blues and Spanish Mack’s. It came out a dry red Smokey brick. The taste was not objectionable but very dry.

CS’s info and recipe is great. Unfortunately, for those of us on shore and kayaks, immediate icing is impossible. This last trip I bled the albie got off the water, got it on ice in a half hour but even that was too late.

46 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

I decided to throw some in the smoker with blues and Spanish Mack’s. It came out a dry red Smokey brick. The taste was not objectionable but very dry.

CS’s info and recipe is great. Unfortunately, for those of us on shore and kayaks, immediate icing is impossible. This last trip I bled the albie got off the water, got it on ice in a half hour but even that was too late.

in the past I have got those hot/cold  bags , the insulated sealable bags, threw some ice in and threw blues in there  and they work great to get the temps down , sucks to carry out to a fishing spot but I am thinking of taking a similar approach as it worked great with my blues 

Bleed and ice immediately. Fillet, keep skin on. Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill skin side down on cedar plank for 4 minutes. Flip over, grill for 4 more minutes. Remove from grill. Discard fish, eat plank.

It's delicious - if you like to eat sushi.

Bleed and gut and get on ice ASAP.

Slice thin (cut out dark meat)

Arrange slices on plate - sprinkle with fresh lemon and limes.

Put in freezer for ten minutes.

Enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi.

I've also made spicy tuna rolls with it - just use your favorite mayo and cock sauce (sriracha red pepper sauce).

1 hour ago, fishweewee said:

I've also made spicy tuna rolls with it - just use your favorite mayo and cock sauce (sriracha red pepper sauce).

Sounds good minus cock sauce

21 hours ago, fishweewee said:

It's delicious - if you like to eat sushi.

Bleed and gut and get on ice ASAP.

Slice thin (cut out dark meat)

Arrange slices on plate - sprinkle with fresh lemon and limes.

Put in freezer for ten minutes.

Enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi.

I just squirt cock sauce all over it and put it in my mouth. And yes, must be raw. 

Edited by Dirty Walter