jjdbike

MSG: tasty, yucky or toxin?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

MSG, how do you folks feel about it?

I believe I know the origin story of how it would up being an additive to food. I also believe I know how it because demonized, which has largely been discredited from what I can tell. The intention is to add umami, which I believe it does to a certain extent. It also adds a bit of a salty flavor. 

Some claim it gives them head aches. Some still adamantly claim it's a toxin. Myron Mixon said that a lot of BBQ champs will not buy Minor's Should Base w/out it so they offer it wit & witout.

What's your take on MSG?

JD

I don’t add it but you can’t avoid it.  If you use catsup or Parmesan cheese it’s in there.  Tomatoes, seafood, cheeses, many vegetables- list is quite long.  Lots of controversy about whether the sodium glutamates in msg additives are the same as naturally occurring glutamic acid molecules involved in many of your body’s processes but nothing I’ve seen conclusive.  There was a theory that one is a left handed molecule, the other a right, which interferes with regulation of neural transmitters involved in autoimmune diseases but I haven’t followed up on any of that in years.  Got way above my pay grade 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I sometimes use it in small amounts in BBQ rubs, sauces, or injections and a lot of great BBQ chefs use MSG as a 'secret' ingredient.  While far from a mandatory ingredient, it does add a certain depth of flavor to many dishes.

The FDA classifies it as being generally recognized as safe and "Chinese restaurant syndrome" has been debunked by numerous well designed scientific studies.  There are a lot of parallels between its stigmatization and the vaccine-autism BS; two widely debunked myths that are unbelievably persistent.

Edited by sbcbmx112

3 hours ago, JimW said:

I don’t add it but you can’t avoid it.  If you use catsup or Parmesan cheese it’s in there.  Tomatoes, seafood, cheeses, many vegetables- list is quite long.  Lots of controversy about whether the sodium glutamates in msg additives are the same as naturally occurring glutamic acid molecules involved in many of your body’s processes but nothing I’ve seen conclusive.  There was a theory that one is a left handed molecule, the other a right, which interferes with regulation of neural transmitters involved in autoimmune diseases but I haven’t followed up on any of that in years.  Got way above my pay grade 

Thanks

3 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

A lot of great BBQ chefs use MSG as a 'secret' ingredient.  The FDA classifies it as being generally recognized as safe and "Chinese restaurant syndrome" has been debunked by numerous well designed scientific studies.  While not a mandatory ingredient, it does add a certain depth of flavor to many dishes.

Yes I know that story. It's a cautionary tale about tracing facts. 

Thanks for the replies.

JD

5 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Chinese restaurant syndrome" has been debunked by numerous well designed scientific studies

This.

As was said, I don't have a container of it as an additive as I cook, but in certain foods, it would be greatly missed if it was not there.

4 hours ago, Tonyfishing said:

MSG makes everything taste better is what my mom always tell me

On 9/11/2020 at 1:32 PM, Steve in Mass said:

This.

As was said, I don't have a container of it as an additive as I cook, but in certain foods, it would be greatly missed if it was not there.

3 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

it gives me headache's. I stay away from adding it in its raw form into foods. But as said above its in many sauces & such as a added ingredient 

Thanks folks.

So the consensus seems to be that it does add umami which is important for many dishes. 
People here don’t add it by itself, though it is in many ingredients.

vce says it give him headaches, so it does negatively impact some.

Thanks for sharing every one.

JD

I've been seeing it used wayyy more on foodie/cooking shows and dishes. Interesting to see it make a comeback after being demonized so badly. With that being said I've never used it. 

3 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

I've been seeing it used wayyy more on foodie/cooking shows and dishes. Interesting to see it make a comeback after being demonized so badly. With that being said I've never used it. 

It’s apparently a staple in BBQ

Seen it there for a bit. I mean I've been seeing a ton of it used by white hipsters on the internet lol. 

1 hour ago, RyanJ_88 said:

I mean I've been seeing a ton of it used by white hipsters on the internet lol. 

Well that might explain....um, nevermind, that belongs in a different forum..... ;)

51 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Well that might explain....um, nevermind, that belongs in a different forum..... ;)

Lol ... I’m sure there’s plenty of that too

There was a container of it in a restaurant that I worked in as a kid. 

I tasted it straight from the container just to see what it tasted like. 

As far as I recall it didn’t taste like anything but it stimulated the saliva glands. My mouth was watering on contact. :drool:

Goya Sazon (msg + spices in a packet) and chicken go great together.  Sprinkle it on wings or thighs as a dry rub before grilling/smoking.  Add a packet to chicken stock based soups.  Even a touch added to chicken/turkey gravy adds a nice depth of flavor.   It makes chicken pop.