Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 11 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, Kooky said:

Started out front at sunset, decent surf but not too crazy, just needed to keep your head in the game.  Slow bite, few fish here and there nothing too great. Moved to a back water spot and bait and fish were stacked up, once you figured out the presentation they wanted it was a good bite.  Most fish were mid 20" to low slot fish, with a few blues in the mix. Both out front and in the back water had debree and weeds in the water.  Backwater fish were gorging on peanuts, when unhooking them you could see all the peanuts in their mouth they couldnt fit in their stomachs yet still hit my offerings.  

Still struggling to find anything of decent size 32"+, always seem to get stuck around 28-30" as biggest and have caught more 27.5" fish then i would think is possible. 

Again people fishing are everywhere, i have never seen so many people out fishing after dark on a tuesday night, this used to only be an issue on weekend tides.. Where the hell did all these people come from?  Even watched someone call their buddies to a spot that was already overcrowded, just cause fish were splashing and they were not even catching... Its just mind boggling.

There had to be 100 surfers and their groupies last eve at a popular fishing spot in Gansett. I could not find a parking spot at first because there were too many vehicles park all along both sides of the road and on the infield. Most surfers were on the east side doing their thing and I only had to deal with a few in the spot I was fishing. The water was perfect and I was surprised that the fishing was slow. 

18 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

There had to be 100 surfers and their groupies last eve at a popular fishing spot in Gansett. I could not find a parking spot at first because there were too many vehicles park all along both sides of the road and on the infield. Most surfers were on the east side doing their thing and I only had to deal with a few in the spot I was fishing. The water was perfect and I was surprised that the fishing was slow. 

I agree on the surprise of slow fishing, I was a beach and some rocks North of where you were (i think) .  Last year and few previous this would have been a great bite at that tide/conditions.  Weird lull at some spots that usually fish well all fall, and lack of any real size is crazy (or that could just be me).

23 hours ago, Ambergris said:

I saw you arrive yesterday around 730am to SoCo outflow. Put those guys to work!

I had come from Watch Hill, stopped at Weekapaug, went to CTown, then Narragansett, then PJ and saw nothing. The only signs of any life were at WH, but it wasn't FA. This was all before 10am. At 10am got on a boat in Wickford, went behind Jamestown and came out the east passage, glassing everything everywhere. Came out checked around Beavertail to the west, then back over to Newport and then across to Little Compton, then completed the loop through Tiverton and east of Prudence and back to Wickford. We saw a group of likely three lost FAs on the northern tip of Prudence. Not even worth trying at that point..

I don't think anyone traveled more of RI's coast yesterday, I don't think it's even possible. Compared to a week earlier it was devoid of life. If it turns out going another 10miles east would have made a difference, well, that's hard to stomach, and I'm not sure we would have believe it either at the time.

If you're wondering where the birds and bait went from SoCo, my guess is CT, based on what I saw from an eastern sound State Park on the way home. Whether the FAs followed it there or indeed went east instead, I don't know. I did not see any FAs in CT in the afternoon, just bluefish and bait and birds as far left and right as my binculars could see.

That’s a lot of miles.  I’m taking next week off and will be trailering the boat around RI and CT but we won’t match your miles.    Weather is not looking good over the weekend and early next week either so that will certainly limit the travel.    

The weatherman again was completely wrong this morning. No small craft warnings were posted, yet it was one of the roughest mornings to be out. Five to seven foot waves that were cresting spaced so close apart my bow was getting buried drifting.

My clients got beat up, difficult to stand, got soaked from a breaching wave over the beam.

Never the less, Cody and Joanie Coyne had a banner day. Cody hooked up five times, dropped three, one at the boat. Two of the break-offs might have been bonito. Coyne also released one slot bass maybe 34 inches and one smaller 24 in striper.

Cody never caught an albie before, now he has high praise for the species. He had some great runs on some feisty tuna.   

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

Sustained NE winds on deck.

Strong High Pressure moving in will set up an extended period of NE winds. The northeast waves coming in will be augmented late wknd by additional large swells moving in from the south, due to Hurricane Teddy. Not sure what happens when northeast wind-waves meet big southerly swells on the rocks, but I suspect things will get a little moist in certain areas.

Screenshot_20200916-213353_Chrome.jpg.5241d406ddf791bbbeb27b7a65509e59.jpgScreenshot_20200916-213426_Chrome.jpg.f7d11f5db0c569e48cda1b8ee6e35b26.jpg

Fx is for coastal waters of Block Island sound. 

I've been fishing the SoCo beaches this week and I can't complain other than the size, only one fish over 30"  I have found them in the white water up close on the beach here and there and also in the rocks. No big numbers of them at any one time or place but a few in the morning and a few in the afternoon. Pretty much blind casting everywhere, but one mid morning they were all over the white water that was making up from the water coming in from three directions at a very rocky location. Either spooks or poppers fished slow has worked for me. 

One in a million shot and he pulled it off. Jeff Paul started the morning hooking up to albie on the very first cast. Can you believe that? It was still dark, no signs of fish or bait. Talk about luck. Later on the day his dad, Rainer caught a nice one too.   

There wasn’t much bait around this morning and none of it was anchovies. Hardtails were finicky, elusive, on the move, such a short window. We saw no more hardtails from 10:00am on.

We expected high winds and surf as predicted. None of that happened. It was so pleasant on the water. We filled the end of the day finding four stripers around structure, random casting while drifting alone.  

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

Fished a wildlife refuge tonight; albies popped up out of casting range and disappeared after a few minutes. landed one schoolie otherwise didnt see birds or bait around.

Did see a seal pop its head up for a bit. never seen them in RI in the flesh...

Got out last pm near high to an outfront rocky spot. Occasional fish, was not hot and heavy fishing i would have expected for conditions. All fat schoolies and dropped a better fish.  Be careful out there, surf was bigger then I would have guessed looking at buoys readings, and there were some powerful waves that got me even on an elevated perch.  Needed to keep your head on the water!  Moved to a backwater spot, and clearly someone spilled the beans on a good bite there as it was packed. Couldnt fish how or near where i wanted and just called it a night.

Going to be interesting with all this NE and waves coming, hope the water stays clean and stay safe out there.  In the backwater spot while wading could feel that the water temps have really started dropping and  I was wading through school after school of peanuts. No where near the number of fish around that had been the last few nights.

Like a broken record, but the amount of people out fishing is nuts.... Places that i would have fished alone for the past few years are just mobbed with people, it is exhausting.

Fished three hours of optimal tide after dark.  Two dinks in beautiful surf conditions.  Another handful of “excuse me” hits.  Sweat my butt off.  Disappointing.  Still no mullet that I’ve seen.  

13 mins ago, DZ said:

Fished three hours of optimal tide after dark.  Two dinks in beautiful surf conditions.  Another handful of “excuse me” hits.  Sweat my butt off.  Disappointing.  Still no mullet that I’ve seen.  

I am starting to see mullet in some spots but not a huge concentration.  Way more needles then mullet, needles are in thick.

Fished the bay last night was dead.  Wanted to hit south county but on a weekday a little too far for me.

One hit was all.  Conditions were good - dark night, incoming tide, nice sw wind.  Very disappointing.     

Fished the first half of the incoming out front yesterday. A lot of fat and happy schoolies pushing peanuts right into the rocks. Small soft plastics and bucktails worked well. Most in the 24-26 range but I saw at least one slot fish caught off to my right