Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 11 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

If you seen an albie today you were very lucky. Show me prove?

If you caught one ... you've got to be a genus.

Just like a flick of a switch, there were no albie sightings anywhere.

We traveled all the way from Pt. Jude to Weekapaug. Nothing!

Pt. Jude to the Narragansett Fish Traps, nothing and every place in between.

I had four other boats around Fishers/Watch Hill, no sightings. Newport and the upper bay, nothing!

Lots of weeds in the water almost everywhere along the south coast.

Up by Narragansett, more red weed. Lots of foam and suds in many places.

Only place we marked bait were around the center wall. The waves were five to six feet high, but spaced out.

No problem, but the waves breaking against the face of the walls were tremendous. So spectacular.

Did manage six schoolies all random casting. No bluefish, sea bass, or scup.

You were too far west. Strong showings East of Newport. 

10 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

If you seen an albie today you were very lucky. Show me prove?

If you caught one ... you've got to be a genus.

Just like a flick of a switch, there were no albie sightings anywhere.

We traveled all the way from Pt. Jude to Weekapaug. Nothing!

Pt. Jude to the Narragansett Fish Traps, nothing and every place in between.

I had four other boats around Fishers/Watch Hill, no sightings. Newport and the upper bay, nothing!

Lots of weeds in the water almost everywhere along the south coast.

Up by Narragansett, more red weed. Lots of foam and suds in many places.

Only place we marked bait were around the center wall. The waves were five to six feet high, but spaced out.

No problem, but the waves breaking against the face of the walls were tremendous. So spectacular.

Did manage six schoolies all random casting. No bluefish, sea bass, or scup.

Take a look over in the Mass funny fish thread, looks like some of the missing albies were found

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ran into them in 3 separate places yesterday in the lower bay. They were around but had to work for them. And if you didn’t find them early, once the sun was high, they wouldn’t touch anything. Flies included. What they did hit early was albie snax. Figured weed less was the way to go with all the floating crap. Only one I landed was blind casting. And feet from shore from a popular land based albie spot. We boated 3/4 yesterday but also had a half doz surface crashing short strikes. You find the right conditions they are prob there. Cast cast cast. Repeat.

1FB30042-44F5-4FCE-8E2C-310773CEFE50.jpeg

Edited by BNickW

12 hours ago, Bwt570 said:

Blues out front in the western part of the state today. Just walk far enough down the beach and you'll be alone. The backwaters are loaded with googans/whitelamps/people beating the sh*t out of the water trying to net the rain bait for whatever reason. It appears the bucket crew are evolving also. They have now equipped waders, but still the headlamp must be on at all times. It's amazing how fast one guy with a headlamp can turn off a bite. 

The new normal. :banghd:

12 hours ago, rst3 said:

Fwiw, swells from Paulette should peak in intensity Tuesday morning. Was out last night and today: some areas are fine (nbd) while others you really had to keep your head in the game. Saw a guy in sneakers on the edge of a slimy rock cliff this morning. Needless to say, if he went in he'd have been pounded into coleslaw 

Cringe when i see this, thinking i may need to dial 911. Common sense isnt all that common. 

4 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I'm off the water today, but just got a on the water boat report off Newport, as of 9:00am this morning, it's totally dead of albies, bass, and bluefish.

I saw you arrive yesterday around 730am to SoCo outflow. Put those guys to work!

I had come from Watch Hill, stopped at Weekapaug, went to CTown, then Narragansett, then PJ and saw nothing. The only signs of any life were at WH, but it wasn't FA. This was all before 10am. At 10am got on a boat in Wickford, went behind Jamestown and came out the east passage, glassing everything everywhere. Came out checked around Beavertail to the west, then back over to Newport and then across to Little Compton, then completed the loop through Tiverton and east of Prudence and back to Wickford. We saw a group of likely three lost FAs on the northern tip of Prudence. Not even worth trying at that point..

I don't think anyone traveled more of RI's coast yesterday, I don't think it's even possible. Compared to a week earlier it was devoid of life. If it turns out going another 10miles east would have made a difference, well, that's hard to stomach, and I'm not sure we would have believe it either at the time.

If you're wondering where the birds and bait went from SoCo, my guess is CT, based on what I saw from an eastern sound State Park on the way home. Whether the FAs followed it there or indeed went east instead, I don't know. I did not see any FAs in CT in the afternoon, just bluefish and bait and birds as far left and right as my binculars could see.

Edited by Ambergris

1 hour ago, Ambergris said:

I saw you arrive yesterday around 730am to SoCo outflow. Put those guys to work!

I had come from Watch Hill, stopped at Weekapaug, went to CTown, then Narragansett, then PJ and saw nothing. The only signs of any life were at WH, but it wasn't FA. This was all before 10am. At 10am got on a boat in Wickford, went behind Jamestown and came out the east passage, glassing everything everywhere. Came out checked around Beavertail to the west, then back over to Newport and then across to Little Compton, then completed the loop through Tiverton and east of Prudence and back to Wickford. We saw a group of likely three lost FAs on the northern tip of Prudence. Not even worth trying at that point..

I don't think anyone traveled more of RI's coast yesterday, I don't think it's even possible. Compared to a week earlier it was devoid of life. If it turns out going another 10miles east would have made a difference, well, that's hard to stomach, and I'm not sure we would have believe it either at the time.

If you're wondering where the birds and bait went from SoCo, my guess is CT, based on what I saw from an eastern sound State Park on the way home. Whether the FAs followed it there or indeed went east instead, I don't know. I did not see any FAs in CT in the afternoon, just bluefish and bait and birds as far left and right as my binculars could see.

Check your private message.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:55 AM, albacized said:

In two trips (friday and yesterday), I experienced 'day and night' (figuratively, not literally) albie fishing, having a decent day on friday - landing four fish out of six hook ups, but then taking the skunk yesterday. On another note, keep your eye on your unattended gear while you're fishing - thieves are apparently making the rounds at a popular location located more or less in the NE corner of the state. A fellow albie fisherman had his tackle bag opened and emptied (most smaller stuff - soft plastics)...but with the intense weekend crowds chasing hardtails, it can be easy to forget about your unattended gear - especially when there's a bite going on.  I also found out after the fact that a rod/reel had been stolen from the same location a week earlier. I think of what happened along with the fact that I had an expensive rod/reel outfit (including a smaller daiwa saltiga spinning reel) as well as an expensive fly rod/reel left unattended at the same spot...that won't happen again

Oh how i would love to be there and have a buddy leave his equipment out in plain view then go to fish , as I wait with anticipation from a distance with a pair of spy glass & a baseball bat . The end !   

Edited by Hook I

Found hungry blues and bass willing to hit topwater before sunset.  Biggest bass was 36", Smack-it popper got the job done. Didn't find any albies earlier in the day.

Started out front at sunset, decent surf but not too crazy, just needed to keep your head in the game.  Slow bite, few fish here and there nothing too great. Moved to a back water spot and bait and fish were stacked up, once you figured out the presentation they wanted it was a good bite.  Most fish were mid 20" to low slot fish, with a few blues in the mix. Both out front and in the back water had debree and weeds in the water.  Backwater fish were gorging on peanuts, when unhooking them you could see all the peanuts in their mouth they couldnt fit in their stomachs yet still hit my offerings.  

Still struggling to find anything of decent size 32"+, always seem to get stuck around 28-30" as biggest and have caught more 27.5" fish then i would think is possible. 

Again people fishing are everywhere, i have never seen so many people out fishing after dark on a tuesday night, this used to only be an issue on weekend tides.. Where the hell did all these people come from?  Even watched someone call their buddies to a spot that was already overcrowded, just cause fish were splashing and they were not even catching... Its just mind boggling.

Edited by Kooky