Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 11 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

The other day i saw a truck parked (NJ plates) at nite with at least 3 rods still in their front-mounted rod holders and not locked down. he was off fishing someplace.  Talk about living dangerously !

7 hours ago, sandbars said:

Not sure how common they are in ri waters But bunch of banded rudderfish around one of the more popular spots.

I caught few the other day off of Little Compton, which was a first for me. From what I understand, they sometimes show up at the end of summer when the water is warm. 

Fished "albie alley" in the quiet waters of LI sound in kayak Saturday morning, hoping to hit an early surge. only small blues. 

RI waters in the afternoon, water was a little angry, birds working over small blues,  couldn't believe it, tried under them came up empty.

Missed the late week albie show because of work, hoping they are around after the blow. 

Some swells from Paulette should be rolling in over next few days. These will be long period swells so it'll prob be a lengthy stretch of meh waves topped off with a cpl boomers in a wave train. Just a heads up if you're out on the rocks

Screenshot_20200913-231405_Twitter.jpg.19607f57cb52b3d0734c02f2a1c517c7.jpg

Tons of jellies around. 

Those swells are going to make the rock fishing trickier, espec with the new moon and big water coming. Be safe folks !

Plenty of bass overnight in the waves and whitewater. Sub-slots on mag darter. This morning, poor conditions for albies at two very different spots. Dirty water, weed, and bubble-city from the breaking swells. Did not see a single fish break. Spot #2 had been hitting "eh to ok" with plenty of bait. Well today most of that bait was gone.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, JoeC said:

Spotted this in Harbor of Refuge yesterday.  Day before, spotted 3 or 4 smaller ones washed up on East Matunuck Beach. 

Manowar.jpg

I saw plenty of those in the water 

Edited by levari

Blues out front in the western part of the state today. Just walk far enough down the beach and you'll be alone. The backwaters are loaded with googans/whitelamps/people beating the sh*t out of the water trying to net the rain bait for whatever reason. It appears the bucket crew are evolving also. They have now equipped waders, but still the headlamp must be on at all times. It's amazing how fast one guy with a headlamp can turn off a bite. 

If you seen an albie today you were very lucky. Show me prove?

If you caught one ... you've got to be a genus.

Just like a flick of a switch, there were no albie sightings anywhere.

We traveled all the way from Pt. Jude to Weekapaug. Nothing!

Pt. Jude to the Narragansett Fish Traps, nothing and every place in between.

I had four other boats around Fishers/Watch Hill, no sightings. Newport and the upper bay, nothing!

Lots of weeds in the water almost everywhere along the south coast.

Up by Narragansett, more red weed. Lots of foam and suds in many places.

Only place we marked bait were around the center wall. The waves were five to six feet high, but spaced out.

No problem, but the waves breaking against the face of the walls were tremendous. So spectacular.

Did manage six schoolies all random casting. No bluefish, sea bass, or scup.

Fwiw, swells from Paulette should peak in intensity Tuesday morning. Was out last night and today: some areas are fine (nbd) while others you really had to keep your head in the game. Saw a guy in sneakers on the edge of a slimy rock cliff this morning. Needless to say, if he went in he'd have been pounded into coleslaw 

Has anyone had any luck in the local bays/rivers? Been fishing off the beaches the past few weeks, a couple small blues but otherwise it’s been awfully quiet.