Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 11 - Sept 18

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Make no Bone's about it? There's here along with false albacore. If your an addict now is the time to get your fix.

You'll find them on shore or boat, all parts of the coastline along the ocean front.

The ones we caught were on mature anchovies, a lot easier to size up with a fly.

When they are on anchovies, no bass or bluefish in the mix.

Sometimes it’s just not worth getting out of bed?

On mornings like this with a cold front, north wind moved in, it is much wiser to roll back the covers, and saw a few more “Z’s.”   

The first few hours produced no sightings at all of hard tails along a famous stretch of series of three break walls. It was no Refuge to us. On the spot, up to the minute reports off Newport and the Narragansett Shore produced bleak results too, zero.

Pointing the bow west, we saw nothing for miles. There were a little bit of hope with a few birds working a sandy sloped beach. We finally caught a bluefish. That didn’t last.

We were persistent, not going to give up, so we kept heading west.

It was then we hit the Mother Lode of the season. There were hundreds of birds, acres of breaking fish, hours of great fishing. There were so many schools of fish, nobody had to run and gun. Nobody had to crowd you. Even the shore fishermen were getting great action. If you were there this morning, it was a fisherman’s dream come true.

We had the Super Duper Grand Slam, albies, bonito, stripers, bluefish, sea robin, scup, sea bass, even on keeper fluke. Joel and Franks were two tired ambre’s.

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

I figure I’ll keep logging in hours on the water and I’ll end up in a situation like this with a fly rod in hand some day. Congrats. Sounds like a blast.

Fished wed night thru friday morning dawns and dusk in gansett.

Lots of blues until sundown and bass moving in after mostly 20-24".

7 fat alberts landed 1 quick released and 2 pulled the hook thursday morning all on float and fly, not showing on the surface either.

not so much yesterday morning with the hard north wind

Lots of people out, and early...

Fished a few popular spots the other day

Spot 1 was slow to start but stuck it out and it paid off worry plenty of hard tails 

Spot 2 they were around but more spread out and mostly out of casting distance

Spot 3 provided a huge blitz of mostly schoolies with some hard tails and blues mixed in but the crowd was bad enough and there was so much bait in the water it almost wasn't worth staying around to fish it 

Friday morning at popular hardtail location painfully slow bordering on dead. Lot's of "shoulda been here yesterday" stories.

Crowd was more like a weekend than a week day but not insurmountable and mostly decent helpful guy. One guy pretty much jumped right in the surf to land my one fish for me, then snapped the pic.

Late afternoon picked up considerably, as did the crowd.

Lots of northern sennet committed suicide on our jigs. A few baby sea bass ate them as well.

A bunch of little Portuguese men o' war jellyfish in the water. Never saw those before. 

20200912_094848.jpg

20200912_100127.jpg

20200912_100326.jpg

20200911_194938.jpg

2 hours ago, Gansettcaster said:

20200912_063642_HDR.jpg

What's this jighead with a treble on it? Never seen it before. (or just look weird in picture?)

7 hours ago, Milky said:

Friday morning at popular hardtail location painfully slow bordering on dead. Lot's of "shoulda been here yesterday" stories.

Crowd was more like a weekend than a week day but not insurmountable and mostly decent helpful guy. One guy pretty much jumped right in the surf to land my one fish for me, then snapped the pic.

Late afternoon picked up considerably, as did the crowd.

Lots of northern sennet committed suicide on our jigs. A few baby sea bass ate them as well.

A bunch of little Portuguese men o' war jellyfish in the water. Never saw those before. 

20200912_094848.jpg

20200912_100127.jpg

20200912_100326.jpg

20200911_194938.jpg

there were loads of man o war off the block the other day, cool looking but when I got nailed by one of them before in the hand and they suck

In two trips (friday and yesterday), I experienced 'day and night' (figuratively, not literally) albie fishing, having a decent day on friday - landing four fish out of six hook ups, but then taking the skunk yesterday. On another note, keep your eye on your unattended gear while you're fishing - thieves are apparently making the rounds at a popular location located more or less in the NE corner of the state. A fellow albie fisherman had his tackle bag opened and emptied (most smaller stuff - soft plastics)...but with the intense weekend crowds chasing hardtails, it can be easy to forget about your unattended gear - especially when there's a bite going on.  I also found out after the fact that a rod/reel had been stolen from the same location a week earlier. I think of what happened along with the fact that I had an expensive rod/reel outfit (including a smaller daiwa saltiga spinning reel) as well as an expensive fly rod/reel left unattended at the same spot...that won't happen again

9 hours ago, Kooky said:

Those northern sinnett have been all over, bass have been really stuck on them at times.

They seemed like they'd be great bait fish. Perfect sized, soft and squishy. And smelly.

54 mins ago, albacized said:

In two trips (friday and yesterday), I experienced 'day and night' (figuratively, not literally) albie fishing, having a decent day on friday - landing four fish out of six hook ups, but then taking the skunk yesterday. On another note, keep your eye on your unattended gear while you're fishing - thieves are apparently making the rounds at a popular location located more or less in the NE corner of the state. A fellow albie fisherman had his tackle bag opened and emptied (most smaller stuff - soft plastics)...but with the intense weekend crowds chasing hardtails, it can be easy to forget about your unattended gear - especially when there's a bite going on.  I also found out after the fact that a rod/reel had been stolen from the same location a week earlier. I think of what happened along with the fact that I had an expensive rod/reel outfit (including a smaller daiwa saltiga spinning reel) as well as an expensive fly rod/reel left unattended at the same spot...that won't happen again

Thanks for the reminder. I usually wear my bag and have one rod on me but I do have stuff in car. I was there from 2 to 430 fishing the inside. I really thought I was going to hook up. The bait was stacked in front of me and I saw Albee’s wizzing by about 4 times. They were moving so fast trying to get a cast on them was impossible. I tried to predict where they were going and cast. Also blind casted the whole time. Nothing. I did catch a few schoolies when I first got there.