adoboboy

Any Bow hunters around here?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm taking my skunking talents to the woods and was looking at DMZ 50 and 51. I plan to hunt from the ground and cover as much ground as I can.  I understand for 50 you need another permit from MoCo parks and some say it's not easy to get a permit. 51 has a number of SP's and WMA's that should be within my driving range. I was looking mainly at Allaire and Manasquan area since I can hit these places after fishing for a couple of hours before sunrise. I am struggling with knowing the boundaries, the ones provided by NJDEP are not very clear.  So, I have a few questions to anyone who knows:

1. Is it worth it to apply for MoCo parks? I mean, are there really more deer in these parks compared to say DMZ 51?

2. Are there signs around the parks that mark the end or start of the hunting boundaries?

3. Let's say you find a spot and after a few hours someone else is starting to set up close to your spot, what is the proper etiquette? 

4. How do you alert another hunter if you are passing by and you see them on their stands? Or you just walk the other way?

Thanks in advance and good luck with the fall season!

12 mins ago, adoboboy said:

. Is it worth it to apply for MoCo parks?

No ground blinds in parks. Must be elevated. Better ones heavily hunted. Sucks if you're a weekend warrior.

Plenty of signage. Also sticklers for rules. Found getting does easy peasy on weekdays. Best bucks killed 1st few years of park opening. Now pretty much hunter wise after opener. Young bucks still present themselves on occasion.

17 mins ago, adoboboy said:

3. Let's say you find a spot and after a few hours someone else is starting to set up close to your spot, what is the proper etiquette?

Some will leave, some won't. It's NJ, there is no etiquette.

When I lived in zone 50, parks were my doe spots & my private lands were buck only.

If you want privacy hit the parks that are basically undeveloped land with no trails or jogging paths.

Gen. pretty thick for bow.

Lots of lesser known pieces of wma's that will have less pressure. Plus you can hunt Sunday & bounce around with a blind til you learn the piece.

55 mins ago, SB59 said:

If you want privacy hit the parks that are basically undeveloped land with no trails or jogging paths.

Gen. pretty thick for bow.

Lots of lesser known pieces of wma's that will have less pressure. Plus you can hunt Sunday & bounce around with a blind til you learn the piece.

Thanks! I might forget the fishing part and hunt closer to home if thats the case. I would be over the moon if I get a doe this year. My expectations are low, so I should be fine. 

In Allair the deer area is between whats known by trouters as High Bank & the Hosp. Rd bridge. You can hunt using approved F&G methods including blinds. Some bruiser bucks & large doe in that area but expect people too. Esp. on weekends.Hikers, bikers,trouters & hunters. Use em to your advantage. Hunt escape routes as near outer rds & homes as legal. 

During Nov. the Squan wma bird hunters will move deer also. Since I gather you're new at this it will take you a few seasons to learn the ropes.

In Assumpink try along the NJ tpk. to rt 130.

Turkey Swamp wma has many small parcels scattered around away from the main piece.

1 hour ago, bayyaker54 said:

Sandy hook, just sit on a porch on officers row, just don’t get caught.

Believe me I know, whew, the amount of deer in there, even the bayside of RB has lots of deer. Oh well.

16 hours ago, adoboboy said:

I'm taking my skunking talents to the woods and was looking at DMZ 50 and 51. I plan to hunt from the ground and cover as much ground as I can.  I understand for 50 you need another permit from MoCo parks and some say it's not easy to get a permit. 51 has a number of SP's and WMA's that should be within my driving range. I was looking mainly at Allaire and Manasquan area since I can hit these places after fishing for a couple of hours before sunrise. I am struggling with knowing the boundaries, the ones provided by NJDEP are not very clear.  So, I have a few questions to anyone who knows:

1. Is it worth it to apply for MoCo parks? I mean, are there really more deer in these parks compared to say DMZ 51?

2. Are there signs around the parks that mark the end or start of the hunting boundaries?

4. How do you alert another hunter if you are passing by and you see them on their stands? Or you just walk the other way?

Lifelong bowhunter here, hunted north of I-78 on public land my whole life. I can't answer #'s 1-2, but can share my opinion on #'s 3-4.

#3) Personally I loathe and despise being near people while hunting, but to say that it's inevitable in NJ is an understatement. If you find a good spot and someone sets up relatively near you, say within 100yds, I pick up and leave after letting the person know I'm there, which is done by waving my hands or flashing a flashlight at them. If they stay I'm out. Why run? If someone is that much of an etiquette-less moron, I want to be nowhere near them when they have a weapon. All I need is for that person to shoot my way or shoot at deer I may be shooting at and claiming it's their deer. It happens unfortunately. So, I would get up and leave for my own sanity and safety.

4) I would wave and keep walking. The wave acknowledges you see them and are moving along. The other hunter will almost always wave back confirming contact.

What I will say regarding public land is that there are companies such as OnX that offer excellent programs for determining your location on a map. Using maps and GPS, the program can give you an excellent idea of where you are in relation to private and public land.

Either way good luck and aim small miss small!

2 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Lifelong bowhunter here, hunted north of I-78 on public land my whole life. I can't answer #'s 1-2, but can share my opinion on #'s 3-4.

#3) Personally I loathe and despise being near people while hunting, but to say that it's inevitable in NJ is an understatement. If you find a good spot and someone sets up relatively near you, say within 100yds, I pick up and leave after letting the person know I'm there, which is done by waving my hands or flashing a flashlight at them. If they stay I'm out. Why run? If someone is that much of an etiquette-less moron, I want to be nowhere near them when they have a weapon. All I need is for that person to shoot my way or shoot at deer I may be shooting at and claiming it's their deer. It happens unfortunately. So, I would get up and leave for my own sanity and safety.

4) I would wave and keep walking. The wave acknowledges you see them and are moving along. The other hunter will almost always wave back confirming contact.

What I will say regarding public land is that there are companies such as OnX that offer excellent programs for determining your location on a map. Using maps and GPS, the program can give you an excellent idea of where you are in relation to private and public land.

Either way good luck and aim small miss small!

Thank you Pete. I will keep those points in mind when I come into close contact with another hunter. Best of luck!

The MoCo parks can get crowded and people place stands just in case they wanna use them. Its there way of claiming spots which is stupid in my opinion. Plenty of spots out there that people wont walk to and once November comes around all hell breaks lose. Good luck and shoot straight

On 9/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, adoboboy said:

Everyone stay outta the woods. This is going to get scary....