Surf fishing?

Rate this topic

ifishthebadspots

If you can save 300 up i would get the shimano  Tiralejo

This is a great rod.

I have alot of high end rods and like this rod 

I used it all of august and  part of September. 

Get the 10 1/2 footer

This is coming from a guy who drops  500 to 800 on a rod and fishes hard 

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

7 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

funny-hungry-dogs-begging-food-184-5b4cab3c5b96a__605.jpg

It’s true and you are going to have to find those seems and ledges yourself. Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket and focus on the Ditch; there are miles of beaches to fish and no crowds. Use google earth to look for structure, boulder fields, and inlets with narrow choke points. Pick up some books too and get insight on patterns.

There are plenty of good surf rods out there for $200 - $300 that you could pair with a Daiwa BG or Penn Spinfisher. 

I'm about a year into the fishing bug, so still a newbie, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd look at something like the Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'6 and see if you like the size and weight. Pair with a 4000 Spinfisher or BG, fish it for a season, and that will give you time to figure out what you want when you get settled. Then you'll have a good backup/beater setup for later. 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:36 AM, johnysmoke said:

I'm about a year into the fishing bug, so still a newbie, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd look at something like the Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'6 and see if you like the size and weight. Pair with a 4000 Spinfisher or BG, fish it for a season, and that will give you time to figure out what you want when you get settled. Then you'll have a good backup/beater setup for later. 

I broke a 10' tsunami trophy ii on its first day, gives me pause thinking of buying another product. I am looking for a 9-footer with similar characteristics though.

22 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I broke a 10' tsunami trophy ii on its first day, gives me pause thinking of buying another product. I am looking for a 9-footer with similar characteristics though.

That sucks. I hope you get it sorted out quickly. Hopefully either Tsunami or the place you purchased it replaces it. 

My Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'6 does have what looks like a crack forming in the resin that transitions from the handle to the rod itself. I'm hoping it's just cosmetic. I like the rod though, pretty good sensitivity but can cast pretty far. 

If you haven't had the chance already, it helps to check out gear in person at a store. A little tough this time of year where a lot of the gear is sold out for the season, but easier to get a feel for things than comparing numbers on a website. 

I'm looking forward to the return of the fishing gear shows as I have never been to one. Will be interesting to see all the local builders that I didn't know existed. 

21 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

If you couldn't return it, definitely check if your credit card has purchase protection. Sometimes they will cover damages like this if you can't return it. 

On 9/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, missingtackle said:

If you couldn't return it, definitely check if your credit card has purchase protection. Sometimes they will cover damages like this if you can't return it. 

Return is in process, should be fine. I decided to do something interesting and ordered Star Stellar surfing rod, only 8' but it's a one piece unit. I hope I can cast far with this, it's kind of a gamble. I can still back out after holding it in my hands as it's being shipped to the store for pickup.

I have a 10' Mojo Surf paired with a VM150. The reel was a raffle prize at the MSBA show 2 yrs ago. its heavy and can be had for around 300-400 as opposed to the other VS reels that cost 1000's. I can throw beach, backwater or Ditch effectively. solid quality combo under 600. I fish it under my legs as you would a pencil. gives my shoulder a break

Just keep swingin'...

In May I bought an Airwave Elite 9"3 for $110 and a Daiwa BG5000 for $120. Prices are still the same. This was my first surf setup, mainly a boat fisherman. It has been awesome. I've fished it hard at least 3-4 times a week. I mainly fish wood plugs and plastics. It has held up well. BG bail is a little loose but it did fine last night reeling in 2 slot sized fish. 

There is no real "can't miss" setup that will fit everyone's style and wants. My 1st surf setup was (is ... still have it) an 8 foot Offshore Angler Powerstick (Medium power) with a Penn Conflict (1) 5000/30# braid. Reasonable priced at under $300 all said and done. Worked until I wanted more distance ... got a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10.5 foot rated 1-3.5 oz lures. Paired with a Penn Spinfisher V 5500/30# Braid ... again, reasonably priced. Nice upgrade. THEN I wanted something to fish smaller lighter lures primarily for schoolies on the flats and during the Spring and Fall ... St Croix Triumph 9 foot 1/2 - 2 oz paired with a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500/20# Braid. This is now my go-to setup. Super light can fish it for hours. I will use the Tsunami 10.5 for heavier plugs and more distance (open beaches and Canal) but the St Croix is some much lighter.

I need to try some setup out and then figure out what you want ... you'll end up with several different setup for different situations.

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

There is no real "can't miss" setup that will fit everyone's style and wants. My 1st surf setup was (is ... still have it) an 8 foot Offshore Angler Powerstick (Medium power) with a Penn Conflict (1) 5000/30# braid. Reasonable priced at under $300 all said and done. Worked until I wanted more distance ... got a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10.5 foot rated 1-3.5 oz lures. Paired with a Penn Spinfisher V 5500/30# Braid ... again, reasonably priced. Nice upgrade. THEN I wanted something to fish smaller lighter lures primarily for schoolies on the flats and during the Spring and Fall ... St Croix Triumph 9 foot 1/2 - 2 oz paired with a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500/20# Braid. This is now my go-to setup. Super light can fish it for hours. I will use the Tsunami 10.5 for heavier plugs and more distance (open beaches and Canal) but the St Croix is some much lighter.

I need to try some setup out and then figure out what you want ... you'll end up with several different setup for different situations.

All good points, I'm starting to get some of it after handling a couple of rods. How much more distance did you get with Airwave Elite? How often did it allow you to catch versus if you had an 8-footer, or is it more of a hypothetical advantage?