Beastly Backlash

Rod for a 2 1/2yr old

46 posts in this topic

I am thinking of getting a reel rod for my older son who just turned 2yrs and 6months old.

He will not use the kiddie spincasting combo I got him, he doesn't like the cane pole as much anymore either. He only likes using my rods, both baitcasters and spinners, but the rods are just a touch to heavy for him to keep the tip up on retrieves.

I am planning on getting him a spinning rod of some kind.

Ideas?

4 mins ago, wingsandwater said:

If i was to ever reccomend an ugly stick, this would be it.

I thought about that, but he is very careful with the rods and I am thinking a lighter weight rod might be better for mechanics.

He is using an 8ft ML Tidemaster with a Penn Clash 3k in the picture.

I was thinking maybe a 6ft or 7ft Medium power Triumph or Mojo. Those blanks are pretty tough, but still light.

I think so long as the rod looks and feels like what I use he will be happy. He only wanted to use my 8ft 8in Legend glass with the Komodo 273 yesterday and left me holding the Zebco 33 outfit.:laugh:

I like to tie Rapalas or small top water prop baits on the line for him when he is not using a hook and bobber so he can see that there is an effect to his cranking.

5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I thought about that, but he is very careful with the rods and I am thinking a lighter weight rod might be better for mechanics.

If you want the lightest production rod available that won't break the bank...Phenix Feather. The 7'1 Light balances tip up with a 7oz reel, I'm sure the 6'9 Medium will as well. The only potential problem is the grip can get a little slippery, not sure if you want to see a rod fly out of his hands (though his form looks rock solid in that photo!)

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 mins ago, buddha162 said:

If you want the lightest production rod available that won't break the bank...Phenix Feather. The 7'1 Light balances tip up with a 7oz reel, I'm sure the 6'9 Medium will as well. The only potential problem is the grip can get a little slippery, not sure if you want to see a rod fly out of his hands (though his form looks rock solid in that photo!)

He does have good form for his age, thanks! He pays very close attention to everything.

It is interesting that you mention rod flying out of his hands. His first rod was an Uglystik spincaster with a Zebco 33. He threw it off a bridge into the Allegheny river back in February.:laugh:

I will look that rod up though. How durable for a graphite rod is it? I was leaning towards the St. Croixs because they are pretty durable for their weight.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

14 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I got mine a 6ft shimano with a Sedona.  He loved it

Now he uses a Damiki Dark Angel which he also loves

Is this one the one that wants your century as well?

Hello:

I have purchased (5) Shakespeare Navagtoro outfits for my grand kids.

Very good performance.

They are holding up very well.

Purchases ar DiCKS for about $25.oo

Specs: 6' rod with spinning reel and line.

Look them over, don't overlook them

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Sandeel95
spelling error

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I got mine a 6ft shimano with a Sedona.  He loved it

Now he uses a Damiki Dark Angel which he also loves

So the idea of a Shimano Clarus seemed good and I was actually just going to go that route as I have experience with those rods, they are cheap, light, and durable. They are also sold out across the country.:(

Even the Shimano Teramer SE's, which I really like, are hard to find.

Edited by Beastly Backlash