Maryland Dan

Fantasy surf rod?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my first post.  I live near Baltimore and surf / inlet / jetty fish from Lewes to Wallops Island pretty much every weekend, take fishing trips to Hatteras and Maine every year, and whenever I have to travel for business to somewhere near salt water I drive instead of fly so I can bring some gear.  I have a lot of equipment and can outfit myself for pretty much any east coast land-based saltwater situation.  What I would like is to be able to use at most two rods for the majority of it.  The question:

Is there a rod that can actually toss from, say, from 1-1/2 ounce tins to the big 6-1/4 ounce swim shads?  I'm not a kid anymore and would like to hike with one rod if possible.  Some of the places I fish require you to park several miles from the hot spots and its hard to tell in advance what I'll need to be tossing.  I have an 8'6" SlingShot that I really like for small metals and bucktails, but it's rated from 1/2 to 2-1/2 and those numbers are not very reliable.  3/4 to 2 is more like it.  I'm looking at an ODM NXFX 1066 2 to 6 ouncer and am hoping that one of you have used it with 6-ounce swim shads and also stuff in the 2-ounce range and could offer some advice.

PS, I use casting rods for long distance or heavy sinker fishing.  I already have an old 706z that I'm planning to use on the new rod, so I'd like it to be a spinner.  Another PS is that I'm not a striper-only or plug-only type.

Thanks!

Dan

19 hours ago, Maryland Dan said:

Hi, this is my first post.  I live near Baltimore and surf / inlet / jetty fish from Lewes to Wallops Island pretty much every weekend, take fishing trips to Hatteras and Maine every year, and whenever I have to travel for business to somewhere near salt water I drive instead of fly so I can bring some gear.  I have a lot of equipment and can outfit myself for pretty much any east coast land-based saltwater situation.  What I would like is to be able to use at most two rods for the majority of it.  The question:

Is there a rod that can actually toss from, say, from 1-1/2 ounce tins to the big 6-1/4 ounce swim shads?  I'm not a kid anymore and would like to hike with one rod if possible.  Some of the places I fish require you to park several miles from the hot spots and its hard to tell in advance what I'll need to be tossing.  I have an 8'6" SlingShot that I really like for small metals and bucktails, but it's rated from 1/2 to 2-1/2 and those numbers are not very reliable.  3/4 to 2 is more like it.  I'm looking at an ODM NXFX 1066 2 to 6 ouncer and am hoping that one of you have used it with 6-ounce swim shads and also stuff in the 2-ounce range and could offer some advice.

PS, I use casting rods for long distance or heavy sinker fishing.  I already have an old 706z that I'm planning to use on the new rod, so I'd like it to be a spinner.  Another PS is that I'm not a striper-only or plug-only type.

Thanks!

Dan

Century 11'3" Surf Machine or Surf Machine Elite,  throws 1 to 6oz with ease.  

<<Century 11'3" Surf Machine or Surf Machine Elite,  throws 1 to 6oz with ease. >>

Thanks, AFMike, I appreciate it.  An actual 1 to 6 ounce range would be perfect for +75% of my line-wetting.  Any idea where I can buy one?  I love my other century rod, which I think I got from either TD or J&H.  They don't have any Surf Machines at all, and the century-usa site has always frightened me away from any direct e-commerce.  I'll give them a call and see what can be done, but if the prices are the same I'd prefer to support a mom & pop tackle shop.