Albieaddict

Draggers in the upper bay?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I was literally standing on the dock and saw the draggers. At my previous job I was on the road often between Fall River and Cranston. I would often park there and eat my lunch and watch the guys fishing and chit chat if I recognized someone. I've seen them more then once hence why I was asking about who to call for enforcement if this in fact illegal. And it's quite obvious that all types of fishermen even commercial aren't sticking to all the rules. 

I understand you've been fishing for years but do you frequent the upper part of the bay? I parked there for 30-45 mins 3-4x per week between noon and 2 PM depending when the job was done for about 2 years ending 6 months ago. How often are you up in the area?

I've definitely seen them with nets in the water. Pretty ridiculous all day people discuss on here about recreational fishermen not following the rules etc. I bring up draggers not following the rules and I must be mistaken and not know what I am even talking about. 

Probably the same reason the catch rules are the way they are geared towards commercial fishermen.

I'm glad to know the general consensus is that all fishermen follow the rules to the letter. And no prohibited size of fish or fishing areas have ever been targeted. No fishermen would do anything illegal. Must be global warming causing the stock to dwindle.

Edited by Zubinac

Not sure of Rhode island allows this but in the taunton river and mt hope bay they are allowed to drag for quohogs that are sold to many towns shellfish programs. I see them many mornings dragging the Borden light area when crossing the Bragga. bridge on my way to work. They are then transplanted and allowed to purge themselves of pollution for I wanna say 6 months. Then opened to harvest.

2 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Not sure of Rhode island allows this but in the taunton river and mt hope bay they are allowed to drag for quohogs that are sold to many towns shellfish programs. I see them many mornings dragging the Borden light area when crossing the Bragga. bridge on my way to work. They are then transplanted and allowed to purge themselves of pollution for I wanna say 6 months. Then opened to harvest.

I live right along the river up that way and see the same dragger all the time over by the old power plant in somerset. was curious what he was going for.

Nobody drags the upper bay except for mantis shrimp and that is seasonal.  Its coming around that time so you may have seen someone bottom trawling for mantis shrimp at night (Legally), but aside from that the amount of hangs and obstructions its in no fishermans interest to trawl the upper bay.  The other thing you may have seen is the R/V Chaffee. There was also a Quahog transplant up by the river last week where trawlers were used to  transport quahogs. 

On 9/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, Hockeymon201 said:

Nobody drags the upper bay except for mantis shrimp and that is seasonal.  Its coming around that time so you may have seen someone bottom trawling for mantis shrimp at night (Legally), but aside from that the amount of hangs and obstructions its in no fishermans interest to trawl the upper bay.  The other thing you may have seen is the R/V Chaffee. There was also a Quahog transplant up by the river last week where trawlers were used to  transport quahogs. 

Two things, there HAVE been menhaden seiners in the Providence River in the past 10 years. They are NOT draggers, they are purse seiners. I have seen them making sets as far up as the Motiva dock. I have pics somewhere of the Ark Bait boat up there making sets and I sent them to the DEM. Who knows if anything became of it. Second, the quahog transplanters in the Taunton River are hydraulic dredges,  not draggers. The ones up there are smaller downeast boats with a gantry and a dredge. They go as far up as Freetown Basin. That place must be paved with quahogs. Assonet Basin is for sure, too shallow for the transplant dredges to get in there. Tons of blue crab too. From what I have seen lately, the pogie boats have been behaving. 

Just to chime in, Save the Bay may still run a educational program in the upper bay. I used to see them drop and drag nets taken samples.

Same hold true in Wickford, where the State does typically the same thing sampling the bottom.

All hands on deck! Explore life in and around Narragansett Bay aboard one of Save The Bay’s education vessels: 45-foot M/V Alletta Morris, 46-foot M/V Elizabeth Morris 

21 hours ago, Peterov said:

Two things, there HAVE been menhaden seiners in the Providence River in the past 10 years. They are NOT draggers, they are purse seiners. I have seen them making sets as far up as the Motiva dock. I have pics somewhere of the Ark Bait boat up there making sets and I sent them to the DEM. Who knows if anything became of it. Second, the quahog transplanters in the Taunton River are hydraulic dredges,  not draggers. The ones up there are smaller downeast boats with a gantry and a dredge. They go as far up as Freetown Basin. That place must be paved with quahogs. Assonet Basin is for sure, too shallow for the transplant dredges to get in there. Tons of blue crab too. From what I have seen lately, the pogie boats have been behaving. 

Thank you.

20 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Just to chime in, Save the Bay may still run a educational program in the upper bay. I used to see them drop and drag nets taken samples.

Same hold true in Wickford, where the State does typically the same thing sampling the bottom.

All hands on deck! Explore life in and around Narragansett Bay aboard one of Save The Bay’s education vessels: 45-foot M/V Alletta Morris, 46-foot M/V Elizabeth Morris 

Thanks Capt Castafly this is a something I completely forgot all about that. It is definitely a plausible explanation of what has been reported. 

Also I am surprised this hasn't come up yet. 

download1 (1).jpg

Edited by Zubinac