LuPork

Help picking Baitrunner 6500 Triton vs A vs B vs OC Japan vs Malaysia

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello All,

I am trying to decide which Shimano Baitrunner would be best for chunking bait for stripers on Long Island. I already have the 6500A and 6500 Triton Sea-Spin. Rod is 10ft Penn Prevail 1-5oz.

If I choose a different model I would sell the 6500A and Triton to offset the cost. I have a Penn Battle II 5500 I use for plugging so this question is specific to a bait setup.

6500Triton Sea-Spin (already owned, made in Japan, graphite/plastic spool)

6500A (already owned, made in Malaysia, aluminum spool)

6000OC (rumors the newer stuff isn't as durable)

6500B (less durable than Triton/A?)

Don't use a Baitrunner for bait-fishing surf on Long Island (why not?)

Also, does made in Japan matter enough to put the Triton ahead of other models?

Thanks all!

Edited by LuPork

I just bought two Shimano Baitrunners, a 6000D and a 8000D.  They both appear to be high quality and very solid feeling.  The frames are the same size, it's just a different spool size on each.  The 6000D held about 300 yards of 30lb braid, and the 8000D held about 275 yards of 50lb braid.  I intend to use both to fling weight and baits from the shoreline.  The OC models appear to be the same mechanically, but they have a slightly "cheaper" feeling materials on the external surfaces.  

LuPork, I wouldn't sell those old reels (Baitrunner A & Triton SeaSpin). The Triton SeaSpin is probably slightly collectable (but perhaps you're not interested in keeping a reel if it isn't entirely practical as a fishing tool). 

Look at the Shimano Thunnus reels. I'd go for one of them. 

The one I liked the best is the Shimano Triton Baitrunner Plus 3500/4500.  They had a round inner knob to adjust the drag and a larger out wing style knob to give a +/-.  It basically worked like a lever drag reel.  They were a game changers in terms of being able to accurately and easily adjust a spinning reel's drag during a fight.  I caught a lot of very nice fish on those reels.  Sadly I loaned one to a friend who lost it, but I still have the 3500.  Wish I could find a source of parts.

I was told the engineer that designed the reels went on to design Accurate reels.  Also that the reel was sold at a loss by Shimano.

A lot of the original "Triton" series, from rods to reels, were truly great stuff.  Typically built like a tanks yet often light in weight.

I have a slighter later 6500 (no letter) with metal spool.  It is built well but I never liked it because the rod wobbles like crazy when you crank that big heavy sucker.

Today I'd buy the Thunnus.  In fact I have been planning to.  I just wouldn't expect it to last anywhere near as long.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, when I purchased my Big-Baitrunner LC, the Ci4 model had not yet come out. Although mine is an EDM reel, I have had it since before 2010, and it is my most used 8-n-bait (Bunker Head, mostly) spinner, matched to my 6-16oz St. Croix Premier heaver wrapped original NGC with BNOG fuji's.  There is also a medium Baitrunner available.

See the source imageSee the source image

Edited by FlatWing

12 mins ago, FlatWing said:

Unfortunately, when I purchased my Big-Baitrunner LC, the Ci4 model had not yet come out. Although mine is an EDM reel, I have had it since before 2010, and it is my most used 8-n-bait (Bunker Head, mostly) spinner, matched to my 6-16oz St. Croix Premier heaver wrapped original NGC with BNOG fuji's.  There is also a medium Baitrunner available.

See the source imageSee the source image

I just got the ci4 14000. Haven't even put line on it yet but it looks and feels awsome 

20200911_201924.jpg

Wow cool! I didn't even know about that model. It sounds like I shouldn't worry about getting a new one then. However, something about me is attracted to the "built like a tank/will never die" classics but then I hold a newer reel and it just feels so smooth. What is everyone's thoughts on the fact that the Triton is made in Japan? Not worth fussing about? Thank you for all of your replies and great info. Also @Steg I agree with you and the "you can never have too much fishing gear" mentality, but at the same time I would like one setup to bring with me for sure instead of staring at everything for a few days trying to decide what I'm going to use next, hahaha.