Who has snuck into private waters to fish before ?

vce12342000

Who here has fished on private property ?. I used to when I was a kid back in the 70's;) . Fishing sure was fun back then :laugh:. The places I snuck into when I was a kid. pfa only

Franklin Lakes (private then)

Garret Mountain Reservoir

Great Notch Reservoir

Central Park Reservoir NYC

Potash Lake (private then)

Oradel Reservoir

Canister Reservoir (no permit)

Wanaque Reservoir

Boonton Reservoir

Hackensack Reservoir # 1

A few private golf course ponds

A few farm ponds

005.jpg

001.jpg

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

I used to fish some development drainage ponds.  They often stock these with bass and other fish for insect controll i am told.

Any way great bass fishing in a puddle lol

Big no fishing signs.

I did not sneak i just fished.  A local lady would stop her car to tell me no fishing was allowed (i guess in case i could not read the large sign).  I would always repy that i was not fishing and she would just drive off.  Lol

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

Years ago, I used to sneak into a tiny reservoir just a few miles from where I live to fish with my son, who was about 5 years old at the time. I had just started fresh water fishing and didn’t really know what I was doing; we dunked worms and got a few fair sized bass. A few years later, with a lot more knowledge under my belt, I went back to fish it at night. Threw a black spinnerbait and the minute it hit the water I felt like I had snagged a log when I tried retrieving. Nope: a HUGE smallmouth. Many nights,

many huge bass out of that small body of water. Then 9/11 hit, 12’ spiked fence went up to protect water supply from evildoers, I guess; access denied.

I have caught a ton of smallies all over the east coast since that time: the Delaware River, Lake Champlain, etc. I can tell you I have NEVER caught any as big as the ones I dragged out of that reservoir. Fun times! 

I will not name the place but it was a private drinking water reservoir closed off to fishing. Old timers in the neighborhood said that people would catch fish from the nearby Merrimack River and dump in the small reservoir. Rumors would swirl with big smallmouth and largemouth bass swimming along the shore. I snuck in there one day with my friends just before dusk and I caught the biggest smallie in my life. The fun police came and we all ditched. Someone from the neighborhood tipped off the police. Probably didn't want us in their secret honey hole. Every now and then I still think about the biggest smallie I ever caught. I still have the urge til this day. Ahhh to be young and foolish again. 

A reservoir, Dehart Dam, several miles long, 100' deep, water supply for the city of Harrisburg. Posted & patrolled, but huge trout, smallmouths and pickerel. The kind of place where you wore camo and facepaint, parked miles upstream and hiked in.

Fished it a good bit when I was young, got caught a few times, figured the fine was worth it.  

Then I got caught night fishing there shortly after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. They didn't believe I was fishing, thought I was there to poison the water supply. Turned into a very long night. 

Haven't fished it since. But I still think about it. 

I have snuck into a few nice lakes, as well as

tons of smaller ponds back when I lived in PA, right on the border of NJ. Caught tons of Large and Smallmouth bass as a kid. My favorite were the private brooks and smaller trout streams though. I used to sneak into this huge private stream that was on private land. That land was probably bigger than alot of towns in NJ to be honest. I'd go in with worms and every time your worm hit the water you had a native brookie on.  There was also a huge pool under a waterfall and huge trout used to sit there. All the natives I used to catch are the reason I just cant trout fish in NJ anymore. It's just not fun.

Edited by HighHookNJ

1 hour ago, JButts said:

Another fun question would be: how did you handle getting caught doing so? 

I try to explain that I tag fish and this spot has a huge resource to get a lot of tags in the water and which can return back valuable information that is shared with universities and other programs.  I'll show the supplies I use to tag etc.    Its worked in that I've been left alone to carry on what I'm doing but when it doesn't work it usually softens the blow and I'm just asked to leave.  But for sure each of the officers who find me also find what I'm doing interesting whether they let me stay or ask me to leave.  I don't run or hide, I acknowledge what I'm doing and explain why and I'm respectful.  It all makes a difference in how you are treated. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

6 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

Years ago, I used to sneak into a tiny reservoir just a few miles from where I live to fish with my son, who was about 5 years old at the time. I had just started fresh water fishing and didn’t really know what I was doing; we dunked worms and got a few fair sized bass. A few years later, with a lot more knowledge under my belt, I went back to fish it at night. Threw a black spinnerbait and the minute it hit the water I felt like I had snagged a log when I tried retrieving. Nope: a HUGE smallmouth. Many nights,

many huge bass out of that small body of water. Then 9/11 hit, 12’ spiked fence went up to protect water supply from evildoers, I guess; access denied.

I have caught a ton of smallies all over the east coast since that time: the Delaware River, Lake Champlain, etc. I can tell you I have NEVER caught any as big as the ones I dragged out of that reservoir. Fun times! 

I always wanted try cedar grove reservoir. But didnt get a chance to. Fished Orange reservoir a few times years ago. But they say it was epic back in the early 80's 

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.