dannyplug1

LOADING SMALL NORTH BAR BOTTLE DARTER

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Was reading on the water, saw an article that mentioned that the author liked the small north bottle darter more than the big one.  He also mentioned that he loaded it too.  How much mineral oil or wt of BB should I add?  Would appreciate any 8 put.  Thanks Charlie 

It will maintain its action better will BBs. I prefer the old fashion method. As to weight trial and error is best starting at about 8gm. Overloading will ruin it. 

you might ruin it just by modifying it.

I'd ask someone that's done it before I ruin a good plug.

I don't use the small one I use the big one,wouldn't change it at all.\

HH

went with 8 cc mineral oil.  tank tested it, sets eat the same angle as the big ones I have done as per the instructions from Northbar.  Will test tonight.  Will give report on Wednesday.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, dannyplug1 said:

went with 8 cc mineral oil.  tank tested it, sets eat the same angle as the big ones I have done as per the instructions from Northbar.  Will test tonight.  Will give report on Wednesday.

Danny how much did it weigh w/load?? 

Just weighed it the loaded plug weighs 1 3/4 oz the stock is 1 5/8    1/8 does not seem like much, but it made the plug really cast well and I really felt the plug move.  Fish likes it too.  Tried a new spot no surf and low tide three fish one good one.  Defiantly a good experiment.  Gonna fish it tomorrow night, too beat tonight.  The testing will continue.  Bought two parrot jr northbars from the edge.  If they get here tomorrow will load em an fish em.  Talk to you soon Charlie 

11 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Just weighed it the loaded plug weighs 1 3/4 oz the stock is 1 5/8    1/8 does not seem like much, but it made the plug really cast well and I really felt the plug move.  Fish likes it too.  Tried a new spot no surf and low tide three fish one good one.  Defiantly a good experiment.  Gonna fish it tomorrow night, too beat tonight.  The testing will continue.  Bought two parrot jr northbars from the edge.  If they get here tomorrow will load em an fish em.  Talk to you soon Charlie 

Thanks Charilie, I’ll load up a few as well. Is that weight with trebles and split rings or just bare plug? 

Stevie its the whole deal.  you wouldn't thin 1/8 would make a difference but it really did.  I used a wooden dowel and epoxy to close it off.   I used the uv light curing epoxy I have for fly tying.  Instant seal, great stuff.  Nice and dark last night should have gone but I was dead tired went to bed early.  Have a day off tomorrow gonna hit it hard tonight.

1 hour ago, dannyplug1 said:

Stevie its the whole deal.  you wouldn't thin 1/8 would make a difference but it really did.  I used a wooden dowel and epoxy to close it off.   I used the uv light curing epoxy I have for fly tying.  Instant seal, great stuff.  Nice and dark last night should have gone but I was dead tired went to bed early.  Have a day off tomorrow gonna hit it hard tonight.

Yes, a little bit of loading material makes a big difference. Look at 7” red fins. Add a 1/4 oz and the plug flies. Thanks for the info

I loaded a couple of small Northbar bottle darters and tested them yesterday. I added a 1/8 oz. load in them as Danny recommended. The altered plug casted better and swam better imo. It had a more exaggerated back and forth "dart", ran deeper and casted better than the stock model. Thanks Charlie.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Stevie don't thank me thank Jerry Audette I read about in in one of his articles either the fisherman or on the water.  I think it casts better than the big northbar bottle darter when each is loaded.  did you get out in the big water. 

You guys using the stock hooks? I’ve been putting a size up 5x hooks on to get them to dig more. The fish don’t seem to mind. I wonder how a bigger heavier hook would go over on a super strike bottle, wish it swam a bit deeper.

Edited by Reed422