Dwhite1605

Tica dolphin/ Daiwa bg

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I’m looking for a good light budget surf setup. I kinda have my mind made up on a bg4000, but since I don’t have any tackle shops around here to try a tica rod out, would have t pair better with an 8 or 9 foot dolphin?

I have the Tica dolphin 9ft, overall it’s an extremely well built rod with Fuji components. This rods handles basically all my plugs and bucktails with ease.

BG4000 works fine.
It does feel a tad heavy on my 9' medium action Dolphin, but I'd imagine the medium/heavy works great.

I'd say the medium Dolphin is maybe a tad too flexy for the 4000 BG, so I often use a lighter reel.

12 hours ago, Dwhite1605 said:

So I’m looking for a good light budget surf setup. I kinda have my mind made up on a bg4000, but since I don’t have any tackle shops around here to try a tica rod out, would have t pair better with an 8 or 9 foot dolphin?

Go with the 3000. It’s sized similarly to other brands’ 4000. The BG 4000 is too big. 

8 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

Go with the 3000. It’s sized similarly to other brands’ 4000. The BG 4000 is too big. 

I agree here, I went with the 3000 since it is basically the size of others 4000. I Have the BG3000 paired to a 8’ medium Tica And it’s a blast to walk the beach and cast all day. Light and fun. 

1 hour ago, Cmansfield67 said:

I agree here, I went with the 3000 since it is basically the size of others 4000. I Have the BG3000 paired to a 8’ medium Tica And it’s a blast to walk the beach and cast all day. Light and fun. 

Light fun and super economical. Throw on a Gomexus knob, and you have a great little inexpensive setup. 

Edited by ThirstyOwl III