Ambergris

SIFF 18: Albie Segment

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Forgive me for not taking the time when you originally put this up, ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ALBIE VIDEO EVER. Thanks for making such a enjoyable piece. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks again!!!!!!

Once again the birds eye view is outstanding!

Soundtrack is still great.   Nice job kid!

Edited by flylikabird

1 min ago, FishHawk II said:

Great video the drone pilot is excellent . When the seas are choppy are you comfortable on your stand up paddle board fishing for these guys?

FishHawk

Thank you!

When it's choppy, which is more often then not, I'll either anchor in a spot where I expect them to appear or go on my knees. Both ways you can fish in almost anything except very high winds.

As for the drone, one thing that I think is missed in creating these movies is that (and I don't mean to sound boastful) I'm filming it all at the same time. So whenever there's an image of paddling to fish, I've launched the drone from the board and it's is tagged to follow me. Actually getting a drone in the air, then getting albies of all fish to appear on cue within casting range is a giant PITA.

So yes, all aerial shots in here are done by me from the board. That can get tricky sometimes, but I haven't lost a drone yet. I've had to land one between my legs on the board because I reset the settings and forgot to turn off the bottom obstacle obstruction, so it kept flying away from my hand when I reached for it and the battery was dying too fast to change the settings.

I have lost a DSLR camera and lens once...that hurt. The cameras are on either a tripod or boom which is secured to the SUP through bungees and other straps. The cam I lost was because I forgot to tighten a boom arm and the damn thing slid off into the channel in PJ before the sun even came up.

2 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

That is amazing that you can do both. I have found that I can't do both. Great job. FishHawk

There's a lot more failure than success...but that's just like fishing.

Good Lord - I messed around fishing on a SUP for about week when I was on LBI a couple of years ago.  Someone put out submerged dock lights and it was a fish magnet...anyway, that was on the bay, just two docks over and all I had was a light rod, paddle and small pouch with some paddletails.  Virtually the entire time I was on the verge of dropping something overboard and trying to avoid getting pushed into boats or under docks - I can't fathom dealing with all that equipment, out front, with a drone, while fly fishing no less!!!  Are you kidding me?

u da man.

1 hour ago, encavale said:

Glad to see you back ambergris.  looking forward to more videos.

Another is definitely coming. I've been collecting images from sight fishing for a couple of years and I'm getting close to having the shots I want to put something together. At the very least I'll organize a teaser for it in a couple of months.