CoffeeHangover

Lightweight Sit-On-Top

18 posts in this topic

I was looking into a new kayak, I think upgrading from my dagger sit-in has been a long time coming.  I wanted a sit-on-top and was looking at the 2020 Wilderness Tarpon 105 or the Crescent UltraLite but I couldn't find a single mention of the Crescent UltraLite on here.  The reason I ended up with these two is that I'd like it to be fairly lightweight so I can carry it wherever I need and throw it in the trunk without futzing around with a roof rack.  I plan on mostly being on rivers and bayside of the cape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably there's no discussion of them because at 10 ft they're shorter than most saltwater paddlers are looking for. My Caribbean 14 weighs 50 lb and is one of the fastest paddle kayaks around as opposed to a slow 10-ft bathtub. Now you may say you don't care about going fast, but you may change your mind heading into serious wind and current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gellfex said:

Probably there's no discussion of them because at 10 ft they're shorter than most saltwater paddlers are looking for. My Caribbean 14 weighs 50 lb and is one of the fastest paddle kayaks around as opposed to a slow 10-ft bathtub. Now you may say you don't care about going fast, but you may change your mind heading into serious wind and current.

wow, that's a serious hull.  However it is almost double the price of the ones I was looking at,  Would it be better to get a tarpon 120 or a similarly sized boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t go wrong with the Tarpon 100 or 105 if your staying around 10’ to fit it in the vehicle. Like most things, longer is better, especially if the bay is rough. Used Tarpons come up on CL often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 14' Hurricane Skimmer its an easy paddling stable boat. Weighs in at 52 lbs which is very light for a 14' sit on top. I have been paddling a 17' performance boat for years and thought the transition would be unbearable but the boat is very fast for a SOT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, CoffeeHangover said:

I was looking into a new kayak, I think upgrading from my dagger sit-in has been a long time coming.  I wanted a sit-on-top and was looking at the 2020 Wilderness Tarpon 105 or the Crescent UltraLite but I couldn't find a single mention of the Crescent UltraLite on here.  The reason I ended up with these two is that I'd like it to be fairly lightweight so I can carry it wherever I need and throw it in the trunk without futzing around with a roof rack.  I plan on mostly being on rivers and bayside of the cape.

I’ve got the Crescent UL and have fished it about 25 times since I bought it this Spring.  
 

PROS

-Tracks great; hull design made for efficient paddling. In fact, best tracking 10-ft kayak I’ve ever been in.

-Light and easy to car-top.

-Pretty comfy seat.

 

CONS

-This is NOT a boat optimized for fishing; the space between your legs is open, yes, but it’s narrow. As for rear storage, it’s just barely big enough for a milk crate or BlackPack mounted sideways; but kinda hard reaching back there for stuff. If you’re a minimalist who can be happy with one bag of jigs and BTs and maybe a single plano box with a few poppers and SPs, then this boat is for you. But if you like to carry lots of tackle, I’d pass and instead get something a tad longer and wider, maybe with a console.

-Took it out on RB a few times. Both days were very calm but lots of boat traffic was pushing some waves. Lots of water over the transom. Which drains through scuppers, yes, but this is NOT a kayak for paddling anything more than a few hundred yards off shore, nor would I take it out on windy or rough days in the salt. 
-I read a post here a while back that said if you buy a paddle kayak and go out with someone else who is in a pedal kayak, you’re gonna come home and list your paddle kayak on eBay and start shopping for a pedal drive. I’m not quite there yet because I LOVE the Crescent UL in the Adirondack rivers and ponds I often fish in the summer. And it’s great on the Passaic, where I had quite the summer with Pike and LMB. But for Spring and Fall when I do most of my Striper fishing, I am seriously looking at getting a pedal kayak, and one that’s way more sea-worthy. But it’s gotta be light(ish), so that’s gonna be a challenge.  

 

You can also check out the Crescent kayak FB page. Lots of great posts by owners, a few of whom fish. Hope that helps. I’m in Northen Jersey if you ever want to try the UL out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 10’ Native Slayer is a great yak. At 60#, and 10’ it is easily thrown around. The thing is super stable and a fishing machine. I have a 13’ slayer love it, but after using a 10’, I wish I got the 10’. It can do everything a 13’ can do, but it’s a thousand times more manageable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurricane makes a line of fast light kayaks. The Skimmer128 at 47# is a lightweight SOT option. I have the Hurricane Santee 12 sport, it's  fast and light enough for this retiree to throw around...good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

I’ve got the Crescent UL and have fished it about 25 times since I bought it this Spring.  
 

PROS

-Tracks great; hull design made for efficient paddling. In fact, best tracking 10-ft kayak I’ve ever been in.

-Light and easy to car-top.

-Pretty comfy seat.

 

CONS

-This is NOT a boat optimized for fishing; the space between your legs is open, yes, but it’s narrow. As for rear storage, it’s just barely big enough for a milk crate or BlackPack mounted sideways; but kinda hard reaching back there for stuff. If you’re a minimalist who can be happy with one bag of jigs and BTs and maybe a single plano box with a few poppers and SPs, then this boat is for you. But if you like to carry lots of tackle, I’d pass and instead get something a tad longer and wider, maybe with a console.

-Took it out on RB a few times. Both days were very calm but lots of boat traffic was pushing some waves. Lots of water over the transom. Which drains through scuppers, yes, but this is NOT a kayak for paddling anything more than a few hundred yards off shore, nor would I take it out on windy or rough days in the salt. 
-I read a post here a while back that said if you buy a paddle kayak and go out with someone else who is in a pedal kayak, you’re gonna come home and list your paddle kayak on eBay and start shopping for a pedal drive. I’m not quite there yet because I LOVE the Crescent UL in the Adirondack rivers and ponds I often fish in the summer. And it’s great on the Passaic, where I had quite the summer with Pike and LMB. But for Spring and Fall when I do most of my Striper fishing, I am seriously looking at getting a pedal kayak, and one that’s way more sea-worthy. But it’s gotta be light(ish), so that’s gonna be a challenge.  

 

You can also check out the Crescent kayak FB page. Lots of great posts by owners, a few of whom fish. Hope that helps. I’m in Northen Jersey if you ever want to try the UL out. 

 

Thanks for the in-depth write up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddle kayaks around 10 feet are pretty slow. I have fished out of an ocean kayak frenzy and a scrambler. The scrambler is  a little bit narrower and longer then the fre nzy  and paddles better but it is also a little more tippy. I mostly paddle out of  14  foot eddyline caribbean,   It is around 50 lbs. It is the best paddling kayak I have ever owned.  Good luck with your search,

 

 

Edited by dbjpb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tarpon 100 that i use in rivers and lakes when i dont want to use the outback.  Its plenty stable for the places i take it.  If youre ever going to  bring it saltwater id say you should definitely get the 120.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.