Sstoryjr

Help me choose $100 saltwater reel

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

@scoobydoo I followed your advice last time and got the Spheros SW 3000 and really like it a lot. I was going to get another reel for my Daiwa Tatula Med fast 7ft Rod that I’m going to use in saltwater. Was looking at the Fuego, BG, battle 3 or another Spheros and was wondering what you would recommend. I mainly wade fish and fish from beach throwing artificials and some shrimp/baitfish. Thanks for any insight you can provide:)

Scooby Dooby Doo where are you?  I guess the rest of us are chop liver. Just change the page to Scoobyonline.com.  ScoobyDoobyDochebag ... 

All kidding aside Scoob is a great resource i bug him every so often myself. My 2 cents if i may, well you have no choice no way of stopping me.

Save up a few more dollars and get something more sealed if you will be wading often. Scoob did a tear down of EliasVFishing kayak Fugeo it was pretty messed up. You will see similar results wading. Love my Daiwas ill fish them from the beach or jetty all day, but wading switch to better sealed reels. They will get wet and most likely get dunked at some point while wading. 

Edited by nfnDrum

32 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Scooby Dooby Doo where are you?  I guess the rest of us are chop liver. Just change the page to Scoobyonline.com.  ScoobyDoobyDochebag ... 

All kidding aside Scoob is a great resource i bug him every so often myself. My 2 cents if i may, well you have no choice no way of stopping me.

Save up a few more dollars and get something more sealed if you will be wading often. Scoob did a tear down of EliasVFishing kayak Fugeo it was pretty messed up. You will see similar results wading. Love my Daiwas ill fish them from the beach or jetty all day, but wading switch to better sealed reels. They will get wet and most likely get dunked at some point while wading. 

What sealed reel do you recommend? I’ve already dunked 2 and had to break them down and clean them

Edited by Sstoryjr

40 mins ago, Sstoryjr said:

What sealed reel do you recommend? I’ve already dunked 2 and had to break them down and clean them

My Slammer has held up well, i think the Spinfsher is similar in construction. Scoobs got videos. Penns are not exactly Daiwa smooth or as light, but mines been dropped in the wash covered in bait hosed down. ect. I haven't had to strip it yet. I did grease pack the line roller this year after a dunk last season it got a little raspy. Check out Scoobs videos on the Penn. I my self need to re watch the new BG tear down not sure how dunk-able it is. He has videos for new Shimanos those i haven't peeped yet, I prefer Daiwa these days. 

My first trip to Montauk taught me a valuable lesson a sealed reel is worth the extra money and today their are some great more reasonably priced options that may not be Zeebaas or Vanstall sealed but will keep you from constant tear downs after every trip.

I have been waiting for a sale on the Slammer III 3500s for light wading.

Edited by nfnDrum

13 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

My Slammer has held up well, ...

I have been waiting for a sale on the Slammer III 3500s for light wading.

Slammer is a terrific reel IMO, but even on its deepest holiday discount or BST used is a minimum of 40% above the OP's price point.

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Slammer is a terrific reel IMO, but even on its deepest holiday discount or BST used is a minimum of 40% above the OP's price point.

correct! and thats why i said "Save up a few more dollars" no reason to buy a $100 reel realize its not ideal and have to buy another, just get it the first time. I had a 3000 Ballistic wading in Florida while fishing shrimp it was a white knuckle ride even just knee deep water, one step your in deeper then expected reel is in the water. 

Edited by nfnDrum

43 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

correct! and thats why i said "Save up a few more dollars" no reason to buy a $100 reel realize its not ideal and have to buy another, just get it the first time. I had a 3000 Ballistic wading in Florida while fishing shrimp it was a white knuckle ride even just knee deep water, one step your in deeper then expected reel is in the water. 

Got it.  That is a good option.  We have a slammerIII and a shield, and the slammer is way more than worth the extra $ we paid.   I am not a fan of the shield drag, otherwise its sort of ok for what it is, a $90 dunkable reel.  

I bought a Guard for banging around catching mackerel and whatnot. Seems fine, I think I'll get another for the kayak. They're not quite disposable priced, I wouldn't try to reel one under water, but it should be fine if dunked and shaken off after.