Frede

Feeling Guilty

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I witnessed a 6' to 7' Sand Tiger catch off the surf the other night... a kayak was used to take bait out 100 yds.  After a long fight, some photos.  Then took forever trying to tag the shark with a flimsy tool....than a 2nd tag and more photos.  They had no pliers to remove the hook.  Handed my pliers over and did my best to remind them the shark needed to go back soon.  After around 30 minutes, I helped try to revive the shark, but it was lifeless.  They pushed the shark off into the trough and said "it's good" and proudly did high fives. 

I'm 99% sure the shark was not "good."  It was dark and I had to leave.  Learned later Sand Tigers are protected....landing them is not permitted.  I wish I'd known.....I would have been forceful telling them it was time to put the shark back.  I feel guilty.....I should have done more.  All the amazing creature did was eat. 

Get the right tagging gear and some pliers for crying out loud!!!    

Thats terrible and sad to hear. One thing though that seems to make people better anglers and servants to our environment is when you educate yourself through reading and experience. In my teens I probably kept fish out way too long. I probably didn't crush as many barbs as I should of. There were probably some jagged rock landings as well. As the years go by though you observe, pick up pointers, and fix some of the errors of your ways. At the very least I'm much more mindful of the little things. Hopefully those guys heard your words that the shark needed to go back and wont be idiots again. Hope so.

Bummer. Cant blame you. I'm sure we've all seen some crazy misbehaving. I sure hope I never come across a species as brutal as some of the mongrels that call themselves fishermen.

I struggle with being vocal. I think I'm much more vocal with the guys that pose no threat versus some dbag psychos that could potentially cause me some harm.

Edited by adams54

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Bummer. Cant blame you. I'm sure we've all seen some crazy misbehaving. I sure hope I never come across a species as brutal as some of the mongrels that call themselves fishermen.

I struggle with being vocal. I think I'm much more vocal with the guys that pose no threat versus some dbag psychos that could potentially cause me some harm.

Having a baby on the way changed me. I used to be more confrontational, now I drive the speed limit in the right lane. The best I can do is “need help unhooking that?” “Thats 18”? Wow!” I have been in enough fights to know I don’t want to end up in one with some hot head on a slippery jetty at 10pm. In a perfect world you should be able to have a serious and civil discussion but nowadays everyone is so quick to flip out. At least in the summer. 

Edited by BobBass

If they know enough to yak out bait, they know enough to know better. I have never caught a brown that big, but I often catch them as a by catch in south jersey. I bought extra long pliers because of this. I have unhooking them down to an under two minute science, including a quick pic. If I can’t get the hook out within that time I clip it. Keep them in the wash. Straddle (don’t sit) on them behind the gills and make it snappy. I’ve caught over a dozen in the 3-5foot range this season and they all swam away quick and happy. 

Edited by Sevendust111

17 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:
If they know enough to yak out bait, they know enough to know better. I have never caught a brown that big, but I often catch them as a by catch in south jersey. I bought extra long pliers because of this. I have unhooking them down to an under two minute science, including a quick pic. If I can’t get the hook out within that time I clip it. Keep them in the wash. Straddle (don’t sit) on them behind the gills and make it snappy. I’ve caught over a dozen in the 3-5foot range this season and they all swam away quick and happy. 

A new breed of anglers out there with YouTube to learn from and disposable income  to burn. These are the guys that say “ew bluefish are gross” without ever trying one or look at you sideways if you keep a fish that their favorite YouTuber “always releases” 

they learned from the internet to yak bait out there and are playing with big fish without the experience of the 8–10 years of age catching snappers, croakers, and fluke like the rest of us. 

Edited by BobBass

6 hours ago, BobBass said:

A new breed of anglers out there with YouTube to learn from and disposable incoming to burn. These are the guys that say “ew bluefish are gross” without ever trying one or look at you sideways if you keep a fish that their favorite YouTuber “always releases” 

they learned from the internet to yak bait out there and are playing with big fish without the experience of the 8–10 years of age catching snappers, croakers, and fluke like the rest of us. 

I agree 100%.  Disrespect for the resource also goes way back.....can't tell you how many times over the past 30 yrs I got into it with "anglers" who were tossing sea robins onto the beach to die because they were eating their bait.

The Sand Tiger was caught 200 yds from my house.....I'm going to be watching.  I may even have a black eye when I next post, but so be it lol.   

Edited by Frede
spelling

The disrespect is the biggest problem. I've worked at a not to be named tackle shop for many years, and the amount of IDIOTS that come in and want to go sharking off the beach has increased tenfold in the past 5 years. It's been 100% driven by social media. Guys trying to shark with striper tackle and rods not nearly strong enough to fight the shark ethically. 

Watching a Youtube video may teach you technique, but so few guys mention ethics. It's all about the catch/kill and instant gratification of the Instagram pic you can post afterwards. These guys were probably "PRO STAFF" for whatever company suckered them to get them to advertise their gear for free. The angler that took 30 mins to release the shark should be ashamed! 

As far as feeling guilty, there's not much you can do in a situation like this. I've been around newbies on the beach who were mishandling fish or having a hard time unhooking a fish, and I'm the type of guy that politely walks over and offers help. I'm also the type of guy that will take a sea robin that some jerk tosses on the beach and put it back in the water.

Edited by TopwaterPete

30 minutes? :dismay:

I don't know anyone, including people that have never fished in their lives, that would think any fish could survive after being out of the water for a half-hour.  Forget 99% - that's 100% no bueno.  If you're shark fishing and don't have pliers, as well as something to cut the leader, then you have no business targeting them.  It's laughable that they were actually trying to tag it - effing morons. 

STs and Browns are both protected species for good reason. They also have super long gestation periods, STs especially. And even though they look tough, they are actually very fragile when out of the water. If you don’t know exactly what you’re doing with them, better to stick to other types of fishing. Tail rope, long de-hooker, and bolt cutters are an absolute must. It’s sad watching people catch these fish and pull their jaws back, causing harm to the animal just to stroke their ego. It is also technically illegal to remove the body of the fish from the water. 

Good for you for saying something and taking the time to learn more about laws and regs and why they apply.

Don't blame yourself for the actions of others. And as much as you'd like to make things right, you are not your brothers keeper, everyone is accountable for themselves. You can't fix ignorance, just be happy you don't have to be part of it on a regular basis.

No need to get confrontational over a fish, particularly when your outnumbered and near water.

I think my head would have exploded. Why do idiots without any knowledge have the need to tag sharks or any fish. To many nubes trying to do things they have absolutely no business doing. Sorry you had to witness this. Knowing the creatures you hunting is very important.