RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 3 - Sept 10

Rate this topic

Capt.Castafly

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

It's just a waiting game now this week for the appearance of hardtails. Lots of encouraging signs of bait staging.

Water temperatures are starting to drop coming down in the high sixties.

After Labor Day, there will be more beach access and more parking.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

A few nights ago I took my son, a buddy, and his son to fish top water at sunset into darkness near a rock where someone died in 1938 from a rogue wave during a storm. The fish were well fed, picky, and not showing much. In the end we got a few and some bluefish with bellies full of peanut bunker.   Darker plugs did the best 

C71A0A04-1839-4C06-9545-9DFD34EC314C.jpeg

9 mins ago, bassing said:

I'M looking forward to the tourist and amateurs being gone, i wish the bucket brigade would be gone as well. At least after this weekend it will be easier to get away from the crowds. 
Plenty of bait around, as long as there are  no big storms we should have a good fall.

I think goog-a-palooza reached its zenith a couple of nights ago, although this coming weekend may top it. :squid: Hopefully clear sailing after that. 

Pfantum Pfishah

23 hours ago, bdowning said:

I think goog-a-palooza reached its zenith a couple of nights ago, although this coming weekend may top it. :squid: Hopefully clear sailing after that. 

Some folks have a lot learn about wearing the correct foot gear and  using the right equipment when fishing along the rocky, slick shoreline of the Ocean state. I see so many people wearing sneakers at dangerous spots along the Gansett surf line. I saw a guy yesterday fishing a dangerous area in rough surf with a bathing suit on with wet suit booties on his feet trying to wade a spot that spikes and or felt soled waders are required. He had a rain jacket on though? The guy lasted about 10 minutes out there getting dumped twice in the wash. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Fished Wednesday morning from jetty from 6 to 12. Caught one bonito and two small sea robin. There were some funny fish popping about every hour or so and mostly not within casting range. In other words slow. I saw about 4 bones caught between all the guys trying in 6 hours. Was surprised by the number of people mid week. A few years ago the place would empty out mid morning. Today they just kept coming. Nice to get one. Caught it on a 7” hogy amber color. I think they would have hit anything. They didn’t seem too picky if you could get a cast in the right place. 

57 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Some folks have a lot learn about wearing the correct foot gear and  using the right equipment when fishing along the rocky, slick shoreline of the Ocean state. I see so many people wearing sneakers at dangerous spots along the Gansett surf line. I saw a guy yesterday fishing a dangerous area in rough surf with a bathing suit on with wet suit booties on his feet trying to wade a spot that spikes and or felt soled waders are required. He had a rain jacket on though? The guy lasted about 10 minutes out there getting dumped twice the wash. 

Saw similar 2 nights ago, father and son wearing shorts and hiking boots in an area that requires safer gear and good spikes. The surf was way up and their gear would not have gotten a fish landed in the surf and they had nothing but white lights shining all over trying to find a place to fish.  If you have not mapped out where you are going to fish at night in larger surf and dont have the right gear you are putting yourself and others at risk.  This was 1 day after the kid died at beavertail, you would have thought something would have been learned from that....

Edited by Kooky
^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

I try to tell people be careful then it’s up to them if they want to listen.  

Some just don’t understand the dangers of certain spots.  I fish a dangerous sand bar in the bay and I have had to tell people be careful the tide is coming in.  They had there young kid waist deep with the tide ripping in.

We fished out front from a Light House this morning with surfers.

That should be clue enough to know where.

It was foggy this morning, but plenty of action and a great bite.

Didn't have to motor far. Some Louisiana Gator bluefish 10-14 lbs. was non stop action.

I stopped counting the bluefish. Left fish on the table to go home. They have had enough.

Huge pods of them, at times some 26 inch stripers in the mix all on peanut bunker.

You threw anything at them, they'd hit it. Lost a lot of terminal gear but by that time got rid of a lot of older plugs.

Had three spin guys on board. Only two boats most of the morning so they stuck around.

At times they got really close to shore, but the parking lot is still closed.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek