Kpboy86

Baitcaster vs trolling reel

4 posts in this topic

I’m looking to get set up for trolling for trout on the Ashokan Reservoir (Rowing only) with lead core lines. I’ve come across some used trolling rods w baitcaster reels. Line counters do not seem totally critical using lead core as they have the different colors to tell you how much line is out. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Kpboy86 said:

I’m looking to get set up for trolling for trout on the Ash okan Reservoir (Rowing only) with lead core lines. I’ve come across some used trolling rods w baitcaster reels. Line counters do not seem totally critical using lead core as they have the different colors to tell you how much line is out. Thoughts?

Lead core, even in the lighter breaking strengths (e.g., 18-pound) is a large-diameter line.  You're not going to get enough on a traditional baitcasting reel.  You'll need to move up to a somewhat larger conventional to hold sufficient line.

But you're right, you don't need a line counter on a dedicated lead core reel.  You just need a reel large enough to hold the line.

just bought these four setups used:

(2) 8' 6" ugly stick downrigger rods

Shimano 8' downrigger rod

Custom Fenwick 8' downrigger rod

(2) Shimano Triton 200 reels

Abu 5600AB antibacklash reel

Shakespeare 6000 size baitcast reel.

Plan is to set up two or three these w the 18lb lead core (shimano trolling reels?) for trolling for trout on the Ashokan. These should be big enough reels right? Would I want to put any 20lb mono on the reel before the lead core or just throw all 100 yards directly into the reels? 

22 hours ago, Kpboy86 said:

just bought these four setups used:

(2) 8' 6" ugly stick downrigger rods

Shimano 8' downrigger rod

Custom Fenwick 8' downrigger rod

(2) Shimano Triton 200 reels

Abu 5600AB antibacklash reel

Shakespeare 6000 size baitcast reel.

Plan is to set up two or three these w the 18lb lead core (shimano trolling reels?) for trolling for trout on the Ashokan. These should be big enough reels right? Would I want to put any 20lb mono on the reel before the lead core or just throw all 100 yards directly into the reels? 

The Shimanos are probably big enough, althiough never having used them, I can't say for certain.  And yes, you always want some backing--maybe 50 yards or so, more if it fits--behind the lead core.