Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nck2412

Assateague Albie Fishing

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

48 mins ago, nck2412 said:

Thanks again for the replies, I’m really excited to do this. They look like a blast to fish!

In all seriousness early October could be the best time to be at AI. Throw a heaver out with a fish head for a big drum. If you hook up you won't be disappointed!

Pitch metal for albies/blues. Blues will keep you busy. 

Don't forget a rod for casting for fluke..

Also don't forget a stick for kingfish to eat. Catch a kingfish, fillet it and pitch its head out asap.

Probably run into pompano on your bait rig also.

If it's still warm the grey drum will still be around....

7 hours ago, Esoxhunter said:

I remember someone live lining a sand shark one time. Same guy????

Haha.

Ah, maybe that’s what I’m thinking of.  Yeah, that’s the one....

If you're really serious about catching albies from the surf - then you might wanna head north...Eastern north shore of long Island, mass, northern jersey...all have their consistent moments...De or AIMD is about as predictable for albies as knowing where those lightning bolts were gonna strike last night...

If you decide to give it a try..kastmasters, Deadly Dick, Stingsilver, etc -retrieved at high speeds once they hit the water...

Hope you find some..they are a blast on light tackle !

Thanks! Yeah heading north is on the list. The only reason I was wondering about Assateague is it’s closest to where I live, and I can get there easily for a weekend. Thanks again for all the tips and help.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, Possum said:

While back 15+ years ago  Surf Fishing Legend Steve Coleman landed an Albie at AI.That is the only one I know of,but maybe there have been a few more,
Head down to obx for FAs.Great fun from the beach for sure.
First couple weeks of Oct is a real good time to be at Assateague.

Didn't target anything, just threw a stingsilver at a school as it blew by.  Great fun, but fought until it died. Kind of bittersweet as I had no intention of keeping it.  Good bait tho.  "Surf Fishing Legend"  lol, when I grow up I hope to be half as awesome as  :theman: CG :howdy:

I recall a similar ending on the OBX. Buddy of ours hooked an albie and  fought it till it expired. Made for terrible tablefare...stray cats hanging around the beach house didn't even want it. Dont remember if any of it was saved for bait.

I also was curious about Albie fishing but in Delaware. Like everyone else said it seems to be hit or miss. If you go to the Delaware surf fishing website and search Albie you’ll see some posts of some caught but it looks like you need a boat.