UncleJohn

September 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

521 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

I bought a 15' key west skiff this week. Mostly for back Bay fluking, river stripers, and creek largemouth bass. My question is in regards to using it for fall stripers. It's to my understanding that the fall run is mostly a surf game, I'm guessing because most of the bait leaves the bay. I'm sure stripers swim the bay but maybe not in any real numbers, although I'm sure the inlet is productive.

My question is basically should I bother taking this thing out in the bay or inlet this fall, or just stick to the surf game on the beach? I really have no idea. 

Picked up a 1/2 dozen shorts bass to 24 inches again this morning inside northern MC.  Fish were gone not long after the sun got up.  Went to work, came home and hit the NMC again but out front and crushed the fluke.  Mostly shorts but two solid ones 20 & 21 that are still swimming. 

The water cleaned up a bunch.  I was hoping to see some albies but not today.  

8 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Hi friends,

I bought a 15' key west skiff this week. Mostly for back Bay fluking, river stripers, and creek largemouth bass. My question is in regards to using it for fall stripers. It's to my understanding that the fall run is mostly a surf game, I'm guessing because most of the bait leaves the bay. I'm sure stripers swim the bay but maybe not in any real numbers, although I'm sure the inlet is productive.

My question is basically should I bother taking this thing out in the bay or inlet this fall, or just stick to the surf game on the beach? I really have no idea. 

Not sure which bay you are referring to, Raritan, Delaware, Great, Barnegat etc. Raritan Bay has had phenomenal fall topwater in certain years as bass and blues would shred pods of peanuts. A gibbs Polaris popper thrown past the pod and worked back into it would get destroyed...sometimes the fish would be within casting range of shore, other times you'd need a boat or yak to reach them. Safety is your #1 concern with a 15 foot boat. Raritan bay will be smooth as glass inshore on a south wind on the NJ side but will be a mess off Staten Island. North wind is the reverse. Raritan bay can generate surprisingly large rollers. Delaware bay has screaming outgoing tides particularly closer to Cape May Point. Barnegat Inlet scares the cr@p out of me. The two rivers off of parkway exit 109 can hold fish very late into the season as can all of the other back bays. The amount of back bay water along the NJ coast is mind-boggling. Creeks, cuts, flats etc etc etc that can take years to learn but pay off big time if you learn how the fish relate to time, tide, moon etc. The back bays are an entirely different ecosystem than that of our now-destroyed surf environment. Beach replenishment is spewed from Satan's anus.

Doorgunner on SOL is host of Jersey Cape Fishing...you can find a lot of the episodes on Youtube and learn from a master.

9 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Hi friends,

Southern part of state caught nice stripers right up to 12/31 in back. Off sod banks creek mouths. Trolled bombers in channels and did well.

9 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Hi friends,

All depends on where you launch your skiff and how dependable your outboard is. Never leave a dock without a SEATOW account and a marine radio of course safety items. ENJOY!

11 hours ago, MC55 said:

Little late on the report.  Surf wasn't as crazy as yesterday but still a good size swell pushing some big sets with stained water.  Found another 3 this morning, all smaller fish.  Two on the teaser and one on the chartreuse swimmer.Thought I might get a few more in one spot until a couple surfers didn't care and went right in where I was casting.  Just shook my head and walked away.  Will head a bit more to the north in the morning.

That’s the worse when surfers do that.
Might not even affect the bite. But mentally it’s stirs the beast in me.
Back in the day they would be wearing Hopkins earrings with sinker bling. But today it’s best to walk away. 
Bless them Lord and change me.

Eeeeels.......

OC in front this morning 6:15 - 7:45.  Bluefish up to 15” and abundant especially in those 15 minutes before the sun broke through.  Water was warm and clean.  Threw the bag except the bucktails.  Nothing with stripes yet for me for over a month. 

Late report but nothing really to report from last PM. SoMoCo, 60 min to dusk, beginning of incoming, water Uber clean and green, steady S wind. Plenty of rolling surf and suds. Looked real juicy but negative on bass and went 2 for 5 on landing short fluke. Lost a decent one in the wash. Strange that the 2 I landed hit the naked sand eel teaser. Wind turned W so hopefully it’ll turn something on. 

NoMoCo out front -  two short bass at first light on surface poppers.  Switched over for fluke after that and had 7 shorts and 1 keeper -  all still swimming.     Tons of bait in the water and a pod of dolphins 100 strong which was pretty cool.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

6:00-7:00. 3 fluke. Twin teaser one keeper released all. All fish about 15 yards . Look for outflow. May head out tonight after dinner to see if any bass are out front. 196659A5-620A-43E6-ACE2-3845304C3B7E.jpeg.c04ee9879d2235677eb99852cba10e65.jpeg

Edited by jeffapeikin
Reduced info

Thanks all. The engine is a 2011 Yamaha with 50 hours so it should be reliable, I'm doing the 100 hour maintenance though next week. I just wasn't sure if large bass swam the bay in the fall. I probably would fish LBI and south with my boat since I'm familiar with those waters

A couple of fluke and a couple of bluefish for me this morning and had a couple of small stripers jump at the teaser as it was coming out of the water.  As the morning went on did see a lot of unhappy bunker, that for the most part stayed out of range.  There were some massive blow ups so maybe things are looking up.  Just might head out again in the morning even with the holiday crowds.

Hey MC55 I’m in you’re area . Maybe I’ll catch you on the beach tomorrow. 

jeff,

btw thank you for the swimmer in January.  

jeff