UncleJohn

September 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

930 posts in this topic

Tried a little golden hour tonight, avoided the skunk with a couple fluke who hit the teaser, and would’ve been keepers if keeping was allowed.

Low tide was more like high in terms of water level; Teddy has it snotty and the surf is booming. But wind should switch around to NNW overnight and it should lay down a bit.

4 hours ago, ND74 said:

Tried out back Middlesex on the way home. Skunk continues. Vast amounts of mullet still on the move down river. Unfortunately the mullet's journey remains peaceful.

Tried to pm you but you don’t have enough posts. You were in my neck of the woods.

Went at noon to snag bunkers in the river, Moco, no luck, no action at all. Went again around 5pm, still no action. Took frozen bunker went to Moco around 6, the water was super rough but very white. No hits on the bunker. Also had a second rod and tried pencil popper, walked 50 feet or so between jetties, no luck, also tried SP minnow and 8oz diamond jig with a white tail, no hits. Didn't see anything in the water. Snagged a plastic bag, and also a piece of cloth plus some sand fleas. Yet another skunk. Will try tomorrow.

Met @RiverCommando215 on Friday, what an amazing person, the name suits him. He meant business when he was in the water. Was generous with his tips and suggestions and also let me use his lure. I skunked that day despite seeing him and a few others catch fish. Seeing a fisherman fish, is a million times more valuable than watching videos on a TV set. 

Need some fresh bunker but most bait shops around only have frozen. Hope they show up at the river tomorrow so I can grab a few and head down to shore again.

6 hours ago, Raak said:

Went at noon to snag bunkers in the river, Moco, no luck, no action at all. Went again around 5pm, still no action. Took frozen bunker went to Moco around 6, the water was super rough but very white. No hits on the bunker. Also had a second rod and tried pencil popper, walked 50 feet or so between jetties, no luck, also tried SP minnow and 8oz diamond jig with a white tail, no hits. Didn't see anything in the water. Snagged a plastic bag, and also a piece of cloth plus some sand fleas. Yet another skunk. Will try tomorrow.

Met @RiverCommando215 on Friday, what an amazing person, the name suits him. He meant business when he was in the water. Was generous with his tips and suggestions and also let me use his lure. I skunked that day despite seeing him and a few others catch fish. Seeing a fisherman fish, is a million times more valuable than watching videos on a TV set. 

Need some fresh bunker but most bait shops around only have frozen. Hope they show up at the river tomorrow so I can grab a few and head down to shore again.

Did you say you casted 8oz diamond jig?

Yesterday Fished from 10:30 AM -12:30PM top of incoming RB NY side. The sea was angry, like an old man sending back cold soup at a diner. Left to right sweep wind in my face made it unfishable with my light gear. I found a spot that has the wind to my back  And managed two short fluke. Still trying to get my keeper. Plenty of 18s and 18.5 all summer but the elusive 19 incher  is still at large. Still about another week in the season for us. 
        My son had soccer practice at a field near the beach at 6PM. The bay settled down to almost glass. When I got home I put the fluke bag away and grabbed my striper rod. Fished from 9:30-12:00AM. Same spot. I managed one striper 15 inches on white buck-tail with 5 inch white paddle tail. It was the second cast.... threw the bag after that. Only one other bump. Peanuts were every where not much in them besides the occasional boil. Anyway, first striper trip out of the season and I avoided the skunk!  Let the games begin! 

On the beach at 6 am, MoCo. BIG wave fronts and lots of white water. No wind. Great looking bass water. Beginning of the incoming tide. Found a spot with a workable south to north sweep and cast to the south and worked the sweep. Fish on almost immediately, mostly hitting just as the line went taut, after slight slack, as it swept past me. Small guys, but did lose a decent bass early on. Pretty much died out soon after the sun came up .Got them on the teaser and a chartreuse storm shad. Fun while it lasted. Hope to get down for the flip, outgoing. 

Slow for me the last 2 outings. Late report from last night NoMoCo 1 hr to dusk. Beginning of incoming, water clean, clear and decent suds. Wind surprisingly died down and had a light ENE swing to it. Surf looked juicy enough but the fish didn’t agree...skunk.

Exploring new stretches in MoCo this AM, predawn 1hr. Very beginning of the incoming, clean stained but plenty of rolling white water. Looked real juicy but still the fish were not where I was. . Got a couple of fluke hits and finally a skunk saving rat schoolie as I was wrapping up heading back to the barn. Back at it Thursday AM.

10 hours ago, Raak said:

i believe most of the bunker are in/were Raritan Bay and have left there and out front.

Been seeing acres of them on the beach for over 2 weeks now...unfortunately with rarely anything on them.....

I've snagged them in the past but that was usually snag and drop with big blues & bass around...

5 mins ago, MarkG said:

i believe most of the bunker are in/were Raritan Bay and have left there and out front.

Been seeing acres of them on the beach for over 2 weeks now...unfortunately with rarely anything on them.....

I've snagged them in the past but that was usually snag and drop with big blues & bass around...

The amount of bunker is just plain ridiculous, Can't believe there is still nothing on them at this point

Didn't know what to expect this morning with all the warnings about storm surge and rough water.  Starting before dead low conditions looked ok.  When first light hit was when I could see it was a lot dirtier then yesterday but fishable.  Was in the same area as yesterday, just wasn't a lot happening.  Only picked up two and figured it was worth moving.  Headed north a few miles and did find the water a bit cleaner and found two more.  Also saw one quick mullet chase which resulted in one of the fish caught.  As the tide was coming in it was getting a bit dicey standing in the wash line.  One second water was ankle deep and a push would come in and it was waist deep.  That was the signal to go home.  Here's a fish pic and a condition pic.   

DSCF3248 (2).JPG

DSCF3252.JPG