UncleJohn

September 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

719 posts in this topic

Since I couldn’t get out this AM, I tried for some night ops. 1 1/2 hr, beginning of outgoing, steady S wind, knee high swell, water cool and clean. Dusted off the 8’ surf rod and got my first of Sept 2020. 25” on the teaser. No other taps. Wind should shift westerly by AM. May try again in the AM. 

AAF81FC6-C778-4295-98F9-581CE165836F.jpeg

7 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Since I couldn’t get out this AM, I tried for some night ops. 1 1/2 hr, beginning of outgoing, steady S wind, knee high swell, water cool and clean. Dusted off the 8’ surf rod and got my first of Sept 2020. 25” on the teaser. No other taps. Wind should shift westerly by AM. May try again in the AM. 

Nice dee. Nothing like surf casting in the dark.

Eeeeels......

47 mins ago, Eeeeels said:

Nice dee. Nothing like surf casting in the dark.

Eeeeels......

Thank you sir. There is something about it. Though it spooks me when I’m up in NoMoCo and always peeking over my shoulder for the Lady in White. 

27 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Thank you sir. There is something about it. Though it spooks me when I’m up in NoMoCo and always peeking over my shoulder for the Lady in White. 

Penelope!!!

Pre dawn in MoCo today checking to see if the fall run is over yet lol. 
incoming tide- cooler water. Very clean and nice rolling surf. Found the rats on the teaser. One 20” on a storm Shad. Might be some jellyfish larvae in the wash, little itchy out there. 

EF0E65F9-C490-4DA6-B075-D791D18088F2.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, BobBass said:

Pre dawn in MoCo today checking to see if the fall run is over yet lol. 
incoming tide- cooler water. Very clean and nice rolling surf. Found the rats on the teaser. One 20” on a storm Shad. Might be some jellyfish larvae in the wash, little itchy out there. 

EF0E65F9-C490-4DA6-B075-D791D18088F2.jpeg

I didnt want to say it but you might be right. 

Edited by crazybellringer

11 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Looks like between the one you got last night and the three MC55 got yesterday morning the whole nest is wiped out! Pretty much ends the season. See you in the spring!  :wave:

6 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

That's one place that I don't go to at Night.    

Fished Mon. County out front this morning, 7-10 no fish for me only saw a few short fluke caught in the back.  Also some big waves crashing on the beach and the holiday weekend is here!

On 9/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, BobBass said:

What time of day are you fishing? 

Incredible weakfish action Atlantic County yesterday AM. The big waves were dislodging all sorts of fish and crabs and the predawn bite from 5:30-6:30 was non stop. Amazing morning. Fish from 19.5-25”. This will be one of the best bites I’ll have in 2020 without a doubt. All on a pink zoom with the bunker scent added. This is the second “almost” full moon that I’ve found larger weakfish in the surf near vertical structure. Something to note I guess 

I'm out of state (NJ) since 1980 and 600 miles south but it does my soul good to hear about a weakie fest. In the 60's / 70's there were a few occasions I found them in the surf at the base of the Sea Bright wall at low tide with peanuts packed against the beach me using Hopkins snag and drop technique.  

Little late on the report.  Surf wasn't as crazy as yesterday but still a good size swell pushing some big sets with stained water.  Found another 3 this morning, all smaller fish.  Two on the teaser and one on the chartreuse swimmer.Thought I might get a few more in one spot until a couple surfers didn't care and went right in where I was casting.  Just shook my head and walked away.  Will head a bit more to the north in the morning.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glad to say I've at least been avoiding the skunk on the last handful of outings, all in the back MoCo. Waiting for crowds to thin slightly and temps to cool down a little before I'm actively outfront regularly. Late report but Tuesday evening into sunup, smacking short fluke (although a few weeks ago had a couple of size) but 2 micro stripes second to last outing, and a double up this past one, just as the sun poked out. Was just really happy to see them here. I was fluking mind you, but was a funny little surprise. They were very active throughout the night, mostly out of range, and some looked to maybe have a little more size to them. A good look to say the least and best part...no one harassing them. 

Tons of bay anchovies in tight that have been keeping the fluke active and brought the little stripes in it seemed. Oh, peanuts were also observed at same spot a week ago, in tight t I the beach. Havent seen them since though. Just looking forward to the long weekend but fall especially  

20200901_064017.jpg

Edited by Saltine109