UncleJohn

September 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

521 posts in this topic

Fished south jersey this weekend. Like many said, it was a mess out there. Barely tried to throw out for bigger stuff. On Sunday we caught a few kings with spots mixed in. We also caught a few small pompano which was cool. Lots of mullet around like others are reporting. 

Out back NoMoCo tonight at peak high. Water was a bit stained and some cabbage near the shore but wasn't too much of an issue. Plenty of variously sized bait splashing about but nothing on plugs for me. Plenty of people chunking too with no love.

2 hours ago, Chrisfish1 said:

Little late report.  Hit the same area in Moco at sunrise 3 times in the past week for a few hours.  Started with small swimbaits and jig head in the wash accounting for mostly chewed in half swimbaits returning along with the occasional cocktail blue that took it down enough to get the hook.  Once the sun peaked it was burning metals from there which resulted in more blues from 1-5lbs and hickory shad.  All you wanted of each.  Perpetual bird activity but just nothing big under them.  All fish caught on various metals, they liked them all.  There was to my surprise a 7+ foot sturgeon washed up dead on the beach as well which was the highlight of my trips.  Helped myself to some of its scutes to dry out and keep as souvenirs.  Looks like a boat hit it on the head but it could have just been dead already and floating before it was hit, who knows.  Judging by the size it lived a long good life.  Saw lots of fluke being caught but just didn’t have interest in fishing for them.  Albies are on the mind and the hunt will continue. 

Sturgeon are endangered and it is illegal to collect a souvenir. NJ fish and Wildlife is tracking even dead ones. They like to hear reports of washed up fish so they can collect scutes for age analysis etc.

You can report location by calling  609-748-2020 or give me the location and I'll call it in.

They came to collect scutes from from one I reported washed up in hoboken,

Edited by captnemo58

MoCo out front 430pm to 8  6 fish 24”ers. 1 fish was super fat. 2 on ss little neck 2 on small diver 2 on teasers. All in the really rough water right in the lip. Pockets of bait around looked like mullet. Fish couldn’t be any closer to the sand.

Another skunk twice for me today. Went at noon to a river, just because I could, it was dead out there but a guy on a kayak came in with a few keeper flukes. He said he released the shorts and females he caught.

Evening, NoMoCo out front, 6.30 to 8pm. Gentle breeze east to west, tide was low (incoming maybe). I was using a dropshot with 2 gulp (green), dragged along the bottom super slow, slow, medium, fast, nothing. Found a rip, tried on both sides, tried straight out, covered around 100 feet, not a hit.

However a gentleman on my right was using bunker chunks, 3 rods, and was busy. Few flukes, blues, and a shark.  As soon as he left, I stood in his spot, casted left, straight, right several times, no hit. Tried SP minnow, no luck. 

Unbelievable. I am not giving up though, but it does suck :)

Attaching a video, of what looks like a rip to me. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am new to finding structures.

VID_202600529_130902_292.mp4

Edited by Raak
Added video

3 mins ago, Raak said:

Another skunk twice for me today. Went at noon to a river, just because I could, it was dead out there but a guy on a kayak came in with a few keeper flukes. He said he released the shorts and females he caught.

Evening, NoMoCo out front, 6.30 to 8pm. Gentle breeze east to west, tide was low (incoming maybe). I was using a dropshot with 2 gulp (green), dragged along the bottom super slow, slow, medium, fast, nothing. Found a rip, tried on both sides, tried straight out, covered around 100 feet, not a hit.

However a gentleman on my right was using bunker chunks, 3 rods, and was busy. Few flukes, blues, and a shark.  As soon as he left, I stood in his spot, casted left, straight, right several times, no hit. Tried SP minnow, no luck. 

Unbelievable. I am not giving up though, but it does suck :)

Attaching a video, of what looks like a rip to me. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am new to finding structures.

VID_202600529_130902_292.mp4

Don't give up! A go to setup would be a swim shad with a dropper loop with a teaser above it. If nothing works, this definitely will and caught a bunch of stripes this afternoon in Moco. If you don't entirely understand how to read the beaches just keep making a walk and eventually you'll stumble upon a bass or a cocktail blue.

Moco Outfront 4P-7P NW wind Incoming flood tide. Swell was head high with a long break and energy that drove up and over the high tide line then returning to the left. No gamefish, but the water was loaded with mullet and surfers!

1 hour ago, ACFishing said:

swim shad

Can you suggest color, size? I have been buying everything everyone suggests here, and have a collection of lures, one day I will know what to use when :)

1 hour ago, Raak said:

Can you suggest color, size? I have been buying everything everyone suggests here, and have a collection of lures, one day I will know what to use when :)

I personally use the natural colors of the bait in the area, Birthday cake, and my favorite which is just plain white 

6 hours ago, pressphotog said:

Northern MOCO this afternoon.  Great looking fishy water.  Caught everything on bucktails.  Bass x4, blues x6 and fluke x2 - one of the fluke was a solid keeper.  I only took one photo -  I just wasn't feeling photography today. 

IMG_1470.jpeg

Looks like photography gives surf fishing a run for its money as to which you like better. That is a really good photo! And a pretty good day fishing!

9 mins ago, Domer said:

Hit MoCo out front  5:30-7 pm. Big surf and high tide, but the wind was light. Worked a long stretch of beach without a touch, then got a crushing hit on my fly. The fish took a lot of line and I feared the surfers would cause me to lose it. But that didn’t happen and after several attempts I successfully beached a 35” bass. I’m not sure the photo does it justice. Safely released. And that was the only hit I had, but I’m okay with that.

CC65E6B5-F0F6-4E4E-85D6-745DFDDFB4EF.jpeg

Well done and another great photo. You have some skills to fish and catch on a fly in that surf.

12 mins ago, Domer said:

Hit MoCo out front  5:30-7 pm. Big surf and high tide, but the wind was light. Worked a long stretch of beach without a touch, then got a crushing hit on my fly. The fish took a lot of line and I feared the surfers would cause me to lose it. But that didn’t happen and after several attempts I successfully beached a 35” bass. I’m not sure the photo does it justice. Safely released. And that was the only hit I had, but I’m okay with that.

CC65E6B5-F0F6-4E4E-85D6-745DFDDFB4EF.jpeg

That is an awesome surf fly fish. Congrats. 

MOCO out front 6:30pm to 9:30pm. Big surf but very fishable with nice white water. Echoing the sentiments of the strong beach wash and undertow.  2 bass for me on plugs about 26" and 23".  There were definitely decent amounts of fish and bait present but I could only manage two.  Looks like the sustained easterly winds during the past weekend kick started things as I anticipated.  Hope it continues and improves.