UncleJohn

September 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

718 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Nice water out there this morning but still not finding any fish.  Not a path I want to keep walking down with See the source image  Might be a bit stormy in the morning if you believe the forecast.  East wind most of the day should keep the surf rolling.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Skunked at (NoMon) today. 

Only fished with deadly dick (green), took the approach of casting, reeling in, casting again, reeling in and then move ten steps then repeat. 

The waves were quite rough though, so could be that the water wasn't favorable due to full moon today?

Will go again tomorrow and give it another shot. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit - county only please ~ Sudsy

Edited by Sudsy

Out back yesterday NOMOCO

2 bass and 4 blues in the am

2 bass and 5 blues in the late afternoon

this morning....1 bass

nothing caught in close, so the fly rod was put down

Keep at it. Add a twisted dropper loop and teaser 12 inches above the DD  Vary the crank speed on your reel by slowing or increasing the handle rotations  and the motion potion of your rod tip. Enjoy tomorrows waist high swell and white water.

Edited by yarddog59

5 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

Keep at it. Add a twisted dropper loop 12 inches above the DD. Vary the crank speed on your reel by slowing or increasing the handle rotations  and the motion potion of your rod tip. Enjoy tomorrows waist high swell and white water.

Thank you. What do you suggest I put on the twisted dropper loop?

Edited by Raak

Many tie their own. It can be as simple as white bucktail the thickness of a pencil tied on a 2/0 Mustad 34007 hook , a small plastic white grub, on the same hook or better yet a spearing imitation tied on a Mustad 34009, which is easier to swap out due to the larger ringed eye. 

35 mins ago, Raak said:

Thank you. What do you suggest I put on the twisted dropper loop?

Most tackle shops around our area will have a selection of teasers on hand, they're just some colored bucktail hair tied onto a hook, some days the teaser will outfish the lure at the end of your line. Fall is a great time to fish teasers, due to all the small bait in the water.

And keep casting, surf fishing isn't particularly easy, but it can be rewarding. While you're walking down the beach, pay attention to the rockpiles, fish like them..

11 hours ago, Raak said:

Skunked at (NoMon) today. 

Only fished with deadly dick (green), took the approach of casting, reeling in, casting again, reeling in and then move ten steps then repeat. 

The waves were quite rough though, so could be that the water wasn't favorable due to full moon today?

Will go again tomorrow and give it another shot. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit - county only please ~ Sudsy

What time of day are you fishing? 

Incredible weakfish action Atlantic County yesterday AM. The big waves were dislodging all sorts of fish and crabs and the predawn bite from 5:30-6:30 was non stop. Amazing morning. Fish from 19.5-25”. This will be one of the best bites I’ll have in 2020 without a doubt. All on a pink zoom with the bunker scent added. This is the second “almost” full moon that I’ve found larger weakfish in the surf near vertical structure. Something to note I guess 

I intended on fluking early this morning out front MC but the snotty surf and even dirtier water had me looking for a plan b.  I hit up a spot inside RB and found 4 shorts bass to 24in and one 3 pound-ish bluefish.   On my last cast had a HUGE blow up on a pencil popper that threw the plug feet into the air.  I'm almost certain it was a bigger bass than the shorts I was catching.   I think I missed the real bite at this spot by an hour or more.  Tomorrow I'll test that theory.  

Edited by pressphotog

27 mins ago, BobBass said:

What time of day are you fishing? 

Incredible weakfish action Atlantic County yesterday AM. The big waves were dislodging all sorts of fish and crabs and the predawn bite from 5:30-6:30 was non stop. Amazing morning. Fish from 19.5-25”. This will be one of the best bites I’ll have in 2020 without a doubt. All on a pink zoom with the bunker scent added. This is the second “almost” full moon that I’ve found larger weakfish in the surf near vertical structure. Something to note I guess 

Fished 3pm to 7pm yesterday. Had been going at night lately but was not working out so thought of trying during the day. 

Questions: do teasers need to be same size as main lure or smaller?

9 mins ago, Raak said:

Fished 3pm to 7pm yesterday. Had been going at night lately but was not working out so thought of trying during the day. 

Questions: do teasers need to be same size as main lure or smaller?

I’m not a mod or anything but maybe make a new thread so your questions don’t get lost in the actual reports. 

Teasers are small. Picture a j hook with feathers. They are sometimes all the bass will hit. 

Edited by BobBass