makorider

Is there a free phone Nav app w waypoints and steer to?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Just helped a friend buy his first, new to him boat.

Found a very clean 23' CC, lift kept.  And went over his budget!!  Fun spending other's money, but I digress.

It has zero electronics other than a VHF.  Because I spent more of his money than he planned (lol) he is going to wait a bit before he buys the electronics which I will probably then install.

Of course he wants to run and fish it, so I'm going to teach him the ropes.  I can get by without a scope but not GPS

Are there any free apps that I can put on my phone, enter waypoints, get steer screens, charting etc?

Navionics is not free.  I don't need to pay.  I downloaded marine ways and i boating....decent charting but no steer screens or actual navigation that I ican discern...just charting and position.

Whatcha got for me?  Thanks

3 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Interested as well. Used to have free Navionics but the constant updating was annoying so I stopped using it.

Not free anymore I do not think.  They give a two week free trial, but you have to pay after that, unless there is another version?

Not my boat, don't need it, I have a real unit so I'm not spending a dime here if I can avoid it

The Navionics is like 15 bucks for a year. Have your friend subscribe and pay. It helps to get one of them phone mount suction cup things like the Uber drivers use too. 

+3 on Navionics. If your friend could spend as much as he did/will on the boat I can’t imagine another $15 for this app will break the bank. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

+3 on Navionics. If your friend could spend as much as he did/will on the boat I can’t imagine another $15 for this app will break the bank. 

He has no prob spending the $...probably allready did.

I want to put something on my phone so I can put some of my wrecks, snags, and lumps in and be able to navigate between

Probably can put them into some kind of spreadsheet so he can import somehow...was hoping for something free and easy lol

Edited by makorider

Doesn't get better than navionics, hence why it's not free lol. There are a ton of free GPS apps where you can set a coordinate, but if you want detailed charts you're going to have to pay up.

Try isail gps. I have it on iPad 
I think they have a phone version

works as good as many boat units 

used it many times alongside my newer Garmin stuff. 

also checked it out vs physical charts and manual plotting 

also used In on airline flights for kicks 

Get a compass and a couple of local nautical charts,tide pilot book  and uscg navigation rules and regulation handbook. then when he does get reliant on gps he won't be lost when it fails. 

8 hours ago, tjr said:

Get a compass and a couple of local nautical charts,tide pilot book  and uscg navigation rules and regulation handbook. then when he does get reliant on gps he won't be lost when it fails. 

I should drop the 20# Chapmans book in his lap like my grandfather did lol

On 9/7/2020 at 6:24 PM, makorider said:

I should drop the 20# Chapmans book in his lap like my grandfather did lol

I keep Chapman's on the sailboat for those dark stormy nights at anchor with nothing else to span the time. The marlin spike seamanship chapter is a personal fav.

12 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

I keep Chapman's on the sailboat for those dark stormy nights at anchor with nothing else to span the time. The marlin spike seamanship chapter is a personal fav.

So when I grew up, Dads parent's had the beach house, mom's parents had a 'camp' (cabin) on Lake Champlain

Both had multiple power and multiple sail boats at each location

My father's father dropped the Chapman's book in my lap, told me to read it cover to cover if I ever wanted to run any of his boats on my own.

My mother's father was an ex- Lt Col in the army and had a manual for everything.  Including his boats.  Same deal, memorize my manual if you want to use it.  Oh, and show me that you know how to tie 15 different knots or you're not getting in it.

Moral of my story, maybe they were a bit over the top, but there is NO seamanship nowadays by and large.  More people could use a Chapmans book.  Good on you.

47 mins ago, makorider said:

So when I grew up, Dads parent's had the beach house, mom's parents had a 'camp' (cabin) on Lake Champlain

Both had multiple power and multiple sail boats at each location

My father's father dropped the Chapman's book in my lap, told me to read it cover to cover if I ever wanted to run any of his boats on my own.

My mother's father was an ex- Lt Col in the army and had a manual for everything.  Including his boats.  Same deal, memorize my manual if you want to use it.  Oh, and show me that you know how to tie 15 different knots or you're not getting in it.

Moral of my story, maybe they were a bit over the top, but there is NO seamanship nowadays by and large.  More people could use a Chapmans book.  Good on you.

Tie me a sheepshank!