HopHead

FFL

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Anyone have one and is it worth it?  I understand you open yourself up to liberal searches of your property, etc.  I have nothing to hide but is it a worthwhile trade-off for nationwide carry?

First, check state laws that may also apply.

You aren't getting a license to carry by having an FFL.

Only Type 3 (C&R) is relatively hassle free.  You can purchase certain classes of firearms with minimal records and shipped direct to you.

Type 3 only requires records be kept during the time of the license and not forwarded to ATF.

They can be destroyed after the license expires.  (There may be a short holding period.  I don't remember.)

ATF can inspect your records and storage with 48 hrs notice (IIRC) but I haven't heard of any instances.

It also requires you to inform local police that you have a license but doesn't require approval unless state law says otherwise.

A small advantage of Type 3 is that some Suppliers such as Graf and Son give discounts to FFL holders.

3 mins ago, HopHead said:

Thanks.  So what is required to be able to carry across all state lines?  I'm surrounded by garbage gun states.

Probably only working for federal law enforcement.  Even Pa law enforcement can't be legally armed in NYC.

In theory retired LE can get a national carry permit, but some states and cities will not honor it.

Federal law should override, but there needs to be a court case to resolve.

Your 2nd A rights are not nationwide.  You only get them on a regional basis.

1 min ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Probably only working for federal law enforcement.  Even Pa law enforcement can't be legally armed in NYC.

In theory retired LE can get a national carry permit, but some states and cities will not honor it.

Federal law should override, but there needs to be a court case to resolve.

Your 2nd A rights are not nationwide.  You only get them on a regional basis.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I should've known NYC only allows thugs to carry.  

I know there's reciprocity between NH and FL thankfully.

For a FFL to be issued you have to be in a area that your zoned to have a business , ATF checks that first if your not in a commercial zone , You must have some form of regular business hours  , By appointment doesn't cut it anymore , You have to show how your going to store them and alarm system . Some States have to sign off on the FFL applications , If you stop doing business as aFFL you send all your records to ATF headquarters in Martinsburg WV, All records as long as your doing business must be kept for 20 years , They do unannounced records inspiration and you have to show them everything they ask for , Those that do that are Inspectors not Special Agents , They can pull your license , they can't arrest you but they can get a Agent that can in a heart beat.

You don't get to carry with a FFL , In 1982 I filled out one form and sent it in with 30.00 and got my first FFL 

Now it's 300.00 and a full Background check with finger prints and photographs  , Proof of zoning , Alarm system , and background check on all corporate members in the business . and proof of any State and Local businesses licenses . 

Edited by jolly mon

4 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

First, check state laws that may also apply.

You aren't getting a license to carry by having an FFL.

Only Type 3 (C&R) is relatively hassle free.  You can purchase certain classes of firearms with minimal records and shipped direct to you.

Type 3 only requires records be kept during the time of the license and not forwarded to ATF.

They can be destroyed after the license expires.  (There may be a short holding period.  I don't remember.)

ATF can inspect your records and storage with 48 hrs notice (IIRC) but I haven't heard of any instances.

It also requires you to inform local police that you have a license but doesn't require approval unless state law says otherwise.

A small advantage of Type 3 is that some Suppliers such as Graf and Son give discounts to FFL holders.

For type 3, local police chief has to sign off on app.

Graf only gives discounts if you spent at least 3k, most other large places do not offer anything. 

38 mins ago, afterhours said:

For type 3, local police chief has to sign off on app.

Graf only gives discounts if you spent at least 3k, most other large places do not offer anything. 

If I recall correctly, I only had to submit a copy of the application to the local police chief.

My understanding is that gives him an opportunity to stop the process but he doesn't actually approve it.

I haven't ordered from Grafs on the FFL recently, but I'm sure in the past the orders weren't over $3k.

May be different now.  They did charge for actual shipping so with bulky items it didn't amount to much of a savings.

1 min ago, Steve_in_PA said:

If I recall correctly, I only had to submit a copy of the application to the local police chief.

My understanding is that gives him an opportunity to stop the process but he doesn't actually approve it.

I haven't ordered from Grafs on the FFL recently, but I'm sure in the past the orders weren't over $3k.

May be different now.  They did charge for actual shipping so with bulky items it didn't amount to much of a savings.

He signed off on mine, there was a place for his signature, but this was only 2 years ago. Talked to Graf only last month or so and that's what i was told.

Just now, afterhours said:

He signed off on mine, there was a place for his signature, but this was only 2 years ago. Talked to Graf only last month or so and that's what i was told.

I just pulled down the form and I see a place for his name and address.  But I don't see signature location.

But the instructions only say you need to copy an application.

I'm certain I never got any signatures.

Maybe additional state rules?

Anyway the C&R has proven useful.  

I haven't used the FFL to order from Grafs for a few years.  Need to update the FFL they have on file.

They are a great source for reloading components.  Privi brass and bullets especially.

Hardest thing to clear is the local zoning approval.  This requirement was added during the Clinton years.

In NY state, an FFL from another state is basically not recognized within NY borders

To be in possession of a handgun, you still need a NY state or NYC pistol permit.

A federal SOT tax stamp ("class 3 license") is no good either unless you also have a NY State machine gun license.

And so on.

Strangely enough, the UPS or Fedex guys delivering guns (as common carriers) have more leeway in NY and NYC than any FFL in the country.

I was an FFL in MA for a while.  I went to NH to do an in person transaction using my FFL.  That gun store still wanted to see my Mass LTC even with my FFL.

I recently shipped a handgun to an FFL in CA.  I couldn't do it until I filled out a CA DOJ transfer form - CA tracks every inbound firearm shipment.

An FFL really doesn't do much for you if you live in a restrictive state.  

A C&R FFL is worth getting - many online vendors (Brownells, Midway USA) will offer you an automatic discount on everything if you keep a C&R on file with them.

8 hours ago, fishweewee said:

Hardest thing to clear is the local zoning approval.  This requirement was added during the Clinton years.

In NY state, an FFL from another state is basically not recognized within NY borders

To be in possession of a handgun, you still need a NY state or NYC pistol permit.

A federal SOT tax stamp ("class 3 license") is no good either unless you also have a NY State machine gun license.

And so on.

Strangely enough, the UPS or Fedex guys delivering guns (as common carriers) have more leeway in NY and NYC than any FFL in the country.

I was an FFL in MA for a while.  I went to NH to do an in person transaction using my FFL.  That gun store still wanted to see my Mass LTC even with my FFL.

I recently shipped a handgun to an FFL in CA.  I couldn't do it until I filled out a CA DOJ transfer form - CA tracks every inbound firearm shipment.

An FFL really doesn't do much for you if you live in a restrictive state.  

A C&R FFL is worth getting - many online vendors (Brownells, Midway USA) will offer you an automatic discount on everything if you keep a C&R on file with them.

B u still got ur FFL?  U do transfers?