T.D

Top Pick for New Beach Buggy

43 posts in this topic

I’m Beach Buggy shopping and looking for your top pick(s) on an suv/crossover that can handle the following:

-Drives well on sand

-Decent gas mileage 

-enough room in the back to sleep in

-has a decent towing capacity (can handle a 5000 lb camper)

-if well maintained can get up to 150k + miles
-looking to avoid getting a pick up truck, great cars just not what I’m looking for. 

Thanks.

actually sequoia.  if you really want to sleep in back and tow 5000.  fyi if you tow 5000 your tow rating should be at 7500.  

The 4 Runner is a great truck, just can’t wrap my head around the MPG.

Any suggestions on a good year or model for the 4 Runner? Definitely would be looking for a used one, the new ones are just a bit above my pay grade. 

Thanks for the reply! 

13 hours ago, T.D said:

The 4 Runner is a great truck, just can’t wrap my head around the MPG.

Any suggestions on a good year or model for the 4 Runner? Definitely would be looking for a used one, the new ones are just a bit above my pay grade. 

Thanks for the reply! 

I don’t think there’s any other real 4WD vehicles that get any better gas mileage. All 4Runner years are great. The latest generation 5 is from 2009 to present. They are more comfortable and have a nicer interior than the previous models. Make sure you check the frame for rust. That’s the only problem they really have. 

Started looking for a vehicle for almost the same requirements.  (My boat + trailer is only about 4000#.)

Love the 4Runner but have heard from many that the wheelbase is a bit short and narrow for towing more than about 3000#.  

Anyone trailer more than 4000# regularly with a 4Runner?  If so, what say you? 

Not to hijack the thread ... Should have asked in last post; Anyone have any idea how a Nissan Armada would meet the OP's requirements?  I know, MPG is really bad.  But otherwise?

2 hours ago, T.D said:

Are we talking stock tires or does it make sense to bite the bullet and buy beach specific ones? 

In my experience, you don't need any kind of special tire to run on the sand.  Standard all weather tires have done fine on my beach trucks.  Maybe avoid big rims and low profile tires if you can.  Not as much sidewall to work with when airing down.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Used Lexus LX570.  It's a Land Cruiser in a suit (and with height-adjustable hydraulic suspension).  I ditched the stock 20" wheels and put on 17" forged BBS wheels off the Tundra Rock Warrior with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/As.   It's WAY beefier than a 4Runner underneath (diff size/axle sizes), will tow 5000 lbs with ease (rated for 7000 lbs), has self-leveling for the trailer, and will run a million miles.  It's also loads cheaper than a used Land Cruiser 200 (which is the same car... worse equipped).  You can find a 2015 with 40k miles in the mid-40s.

For $5-10k more than a 4Runner, it's honestly a no-brainer.  Oh yeah and the 5.7l V8 gets great mileage.... Um, no, it doesn't.  I'm averaging 13 mpg in the city and about 17.5 on the highway.

IMG_3228.JPG

Edited by Bjorn240

For beach driving would you leave off the running boards? Looks like they would bottom out.

My master plan of getting a fuel efficient SUV that has a large towing capacity and can handle the sand is fading real fast ! Diesel options anyone?